Premed 101 Forums

Is Med School even viable for me? What should I do..?

Hi md16,

I experienced that around 2nd year when "smarts" alone didn't cut it. Got suspended as a result. Took the suspension the wrong way by not seeking help and going into hiding. Lost alot of confidence in myself.. and it just keep spiraling downwards. I did good in my first year. Really, I did. I scored 3.7's in first year. I know I have it in me.. but my ego and pride just killed me. I lost focus and passion, I felt like I lost before I even started so I ended up not studying properly and just kept propelling myself downward.

Looks like I have alot of calls to make tomorrow. ^^

Anyone else know anything about how these transfer credits work? Is there a max? Do colleges generally offer alot of transferrable credits? How accepted are they by med schools?

Also a risk I've read is that universities only accept x number of transfer students... pretty risky if I'm not working towards say a 2 yr diploma but rather getting pre-reqs for a degree only to be told I can't bring'em over. =\

Ahh.. rainy days (mary j blige ft ja rule.. whatever happened to that guy?_?)

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

StellarRay....I think the reason why you keep rubbing certain people the wrong way is that you feel you should be able to skip the hardest part of becoming a doctor...THE PREMED YEARS!!

You've cut corners for 5 years or so. Cut the crap and self pity and work hard like everyone else. Trust me you cannot skip the hard work, dedication, self-motivation and get into medical school. Even a carribean school would not accept you because you have shown no proof of a credible reason for medicine or strong academia in the past 4 years....and I am sure medical school is harder then high school so you might just might actually have to study rather then use your "smarts". They have standards too, they do train people to become doctors.

Every school has a website; start using your "smarts" to find a solution to your problem (HINT: It will involve work).

classA,

When did I ever try to skip the pre-med years?

Today my question of day has been for the most part if I could still be accepted to the 1st year of pre-med program at St George since their site says that they only need a high school diploma with a strong gpa in the sciences, SAT score, and financial statement. Which is do-able since my high school science marks were all 90's. But when I called today, the student answering the call said they'd probably want my university transcript as well.

At most you could argue that I'm trying to reduce my suspension or find something productive to do in my forced time off (ie college for 2 yr diploma, college/athabasca for transferrable credits, work/humanitarian aid abroad?) but I've never suggested skipping my pre-med. Just today I learned about credit transfer from college to university which could potentially save me 2 yrs of undergrad when I get back should I choose to wait!

Wow, seriously though. I don't know where you get off thinking I'm trying to cut in line when I've said like 4 times already that I'm not trying to cut in front of all those applicants out there that worked their asses off...

Anyways, thanks for the advice... I didn't know school's had websites.. >_>'

One thing I should point out is that even to apply to St. George you are required to submit all your transcripts from your university education. This is a part of the standard application package to all their programs - including the pre med program at the institution and they do ask for your GPA average in the request.

I would have to say that almost any University, anywhere, is going to ask for the same thing when you apply. They want to know what your highest level of education achieved is, and how you performed. Again failure to disclose and subsequent discovery will result in removal of the degree. Only this time that degree is expensive!

They have a nice looking campus though! Why can't Canada have a nice school where it is warm :)

Also have you completed an SAT test? I only ask because in Canada that is pretty unusual thing to have done.

StellarRay, you need a good slap in the face. The only reason you are not telling your parents now is because you are still sponging off of them and not working. How old are you 22? Grow up dude. I think the best thing that could happen right now is for you to get kicked out of your parents' house and have to become an independent adult.

I'll give you more advice even though you are an idiot who listens to none of it.

Move to somewhere you can get a real job. Tim Hortons pays $18/hr in Fort McMurray AB, or I'm sure you could easily find other jobs there for $25 bucks/hr tho Tar Sands are booming. $18 hour is $36000/yr (3X what Costa rican doctors make!) Too blue collar for ya? Move to BC take a 6 week Emergency Medical Responder Course and get a job with the BC ambulance service (I did as my plan C prior to med school) they will start you at $20/hr. You don;t need to take a 2 year program to work for the BCAS and BC is a helluva nice place to live. The Port Hardy BC station is desperate for people and you could actually get close to full time hours but if you can't hack small town the expect to work 1 shift/week in the big city if they are even hiring.

Oh boy.. you're still implying that I'm still cutting out on my pre-med.

Listen, I am willing to work hard and persevere. But right now I'm just gathering all my options from the best and the brightest here. And what's wrong with me trying to figure out the shortest time for me to get into med school? Doesn't make much sense to spend more time than was necessary. At most, I'd pick up extra skills or related experience but just the same I could not be. =\

Like discovering that I could transfer credits from college to university could mean 2 yrs saved on my undergrad. I guess you could see that as cutting corners. The downfall I'd see about that is that I wouldn't be able to get say a paramedicine/nursing diploma in those same 2 yrs and the possibility that UofT wouldn't let me transfer the credits.

Man.. my head hurts. sigh

Edit:

rmorelan:

So if it's a given that I have to submit my university transcript, would you pretty much say St George will decline my admission? Very nice campus indeed... =\

And no, I haven't done the SAT yet. I was actually planning on getting a book tomorrow for that. I think the next SAT testing in my area is in mid September. Now I'm not even sure if I should bother if they're just going to decline me after my university transcript. Sigh.

Dr.Cave:

Come on, man, drop the attitude and name calling please. I am listening to all the advice that's thrown at me. But I do show more interest in med school/academic options (because I know relatively little about my academic options thus the original purpose of this thread) over say responding again and again to "get professional help" and "grow a pair". The latter really irritates just a little because someone can just say that and then go on their merry way while tonight I could be trying my best to avoid getting hit by furniture and appliances thrown at me and then wondering where to stay tonight.. and tomorrow night.. and the week after that and so on and so forth.

So.. if I move to Alberta I can start work immediately for $18/hr at Timmy's eh? Not bad. How much does it cost to live there?

What's the job security with a 6 week course and me landing a job as a BC ambulance responder? I'm kind of surprised. I mean, what's the point of the 2 yr paramedicine college diplomas/certification if I could just get it done in under 2 months?

And no, Dr.Cave, it's not too ''blue collar'' for me. For the past 6 summers I've been working in the automobile industry (ie GM and its job branches) and factories. I'm actually finding it hard to get into retail/customer service given my factory-heavy resume... the closest customer service job I've ever held was as a paperboy. ^^

Anyways, what do you guys think? St. George will give me the thumbs down for pre-med 1st year when they see my university transcript despite the only requirement being high school marks and SAT?? ^_^

I did read it. But you posted it while I was typing up my post.. thus I had to edit my post to avoid double posting. >_<

I was just wondering about the BC ambulance thing though, just how much demand is there, how much does the 6 wk course cost, and why would people spend 2 yrs in college to do the same thing you can do with a 6 wk course?

Anyways, what do you guys think? St. George will give me the thumbs down for pre-med 1st year when they see my university transcript despite the only requirement being high school marks and SAT?? ^_^

The requirements being high school marks and SAT refer to high school students.

If someone has some form of university background, they are OBVIOUSLY going to look at that over high school marks. Reasons why:

1) its current

2) they are more indicative of the type of student you are (ie. fit for medicine?)

No offense but they are not going to just glaze over your university transcript and marvel at your 90's.

I think either going to college to make up credits or the paramedic situation that someone said was available is a good idea.

But unfortunately, you won't get $18/hr at Tim Hortons here. :P If they paid that much, I would work there in a heartbeat.

Even though min. wage is $8 right no, there are some places that hire with $9.50 or $10 as a start and the wage will increase with time.

Well, welcome back, Kenneth, with yet another helpful post. ^^

I have been reading everything. There have been supporters equally both ways. Today's been mostly neigh sayers however. But yeah, I was really hoping St George would go according to their own site for admission into 1st year pre-med (high school transcript, SAT scores, financial statement). =\

Well, damn this sucks. At least I learned a little about credit transferrance tonight.

Dammit, St George.. dammit. I knew St George was going to be hard and I was willing to work even harder but that realisation that the chance doesn't exist anymore really does bring me crashing down. **** me. =\

If you are willing to work in Port Hardy for BC Ambulance Service then job security is not a problem. You will find it near impossible to work in bigger centers without PCP (paramedic) qualification (which in BC is just 4 months). Once you get hired by BCAS though, they will pay (sometimes) for further training.

Here is a link to info about Emergency Medical Responder and Primary Care Paramedic training in BC http://www.jibc.ca/paramedic/programs/emr/index.htm#description

I was wrong, the EMR course is just 3 weeks and that is all you need to get hired by BCAS in most rural areas.

As for Timmy's in Fort Mac look them up on the internet and call them.

P.S. tell your parents

Wow, this thread took so much time to read. I really do feel for you stellaray.....b/c I know how it feels coming from a strict asian family.

I had difficulties going through university (although not to the point of getting academic probation, but I was barely passing)...and it was really hard for me to admit to my parents, they knew I was struggling except they didn't know why I was stressed out (some how I lost my motivation/bad study habits/I had so many excuses). So it wasn't until I finally graduated, when I had to think of my next step my parents eventually found out that I had really crappy grades, and that was my reason for not pursuing anything after I got my BSc (I seriously just scraped by...which I'm not proud of)

My dad especially took it hard as he always refers back to my "glory days" in high school where I was the top student, awesome EC's, people knew me in my community, I was the one where everyone knew my dreams of being a doctor....the typical super star HS student...of course now I look back, I came from a small community, it didn't take much to be the "super star"...but what i'm trying to say is, my dad still thinks of me in that way and he took it really hard when I had to tell him that my grades were crappy and that my dreams of going into medical school were probably over, and that I wouldn't have a chance of doing a masters right away with the kind of grades that I produced.

So after a year of thinking what the hell am I going to do (I got a boring administrative desk job), and at this point I thought medical school was out of the question (I totally went into a "pity state" but my friend suggested i consider going into nursing, or doing something health related. At first I was like "what? ewww, no i don't want to do that" and I was thinking that why would I want to becomes anything besides a doctor? I admit I was immature and I thought the only position where I would feel good about myself (my parents didn't even pressure me to thinking of medicine) is if I became a doctor.

Now, I have decided to pursue a career in nursing (something that is health related), I'm using this opportunity for me to explore this area (who knows I might really enjoy it and want to do it for the rest of my life)...but I'm taking baby steps now. It pains me to think that I'm going to do 4 years of undergrad (again!), mostly b/c my dad points out the fact I could have done this right out of high school and already have a job and the fact most of my friends are doing what they want in life; but i think i've become more mature and accepting of my situation.

My dreams of becoming a doctor is not completely shattered....who knows, maybe I'll apply in my 3rd year of nursing/once I get my BSN (if my grades are stellar, and i'm doing EC's)...but i'm taking my time (I've accepted the fact that I didn't do things right in my first time of university-I rushed and wanted to finish my degree ASAP, not picking the right degree for the right reasons (I thought I should get something that would look good for medicine-in the end, i got poor grades, and i didn't even like my degree a whole lot). So now i've accepted it's ok to take the slow route (although i know my dad's not entirely cool w/ it, i think he's a little relieved with the fact that i'm not longer floating and denying that I'll be fine). Stellaray, obviously it's gonna be hard to tell you parents, and i avoided my parents like the plague after I graduated whenever they asked me "so what are your plans???", I might be biased b/c I've finally know what i'm gonna do...but i really think you might want to consider doing another BSc. b/c at least it's a short term plan (this will give you the confidence to see if you can do well academically and possibly have a career once you're done, just in case you don't get into medicine right away).

It's ok to tell your parents that you effed up and you're upset knowing the fact that they are probably disappointed....but if you tell them that you're really thinking about your career now, why can't you tell them about your thoughts of going to school overseas/that you want to go back to school and do something totally different? At least they know that you haven't completely given up, and that you know you were "stupid" for not telling them...b/c honestly as much as my parents were disappointed, if you tell them how bad you feel (which you have been able to express with complete strangers in this forum), I swear you will feel so much better telling them (yea, they'll be pissed off at the time same time), but the longer you deny them of what has happened to you, you are making it worse for yourself. I'm totally rambling now, but I wish you tons of luck (but like many have said in the forum, i'm a little hesitant with you jumping so quickly on the foreign schools).

I could definetely relate to many of your postings, but I think you need to stop thinking so narrowly and consider other careers (i.e. paramedics, nursing). You say want to go in to medicine so badly, and you think that your passion will allow you to become a doctor....this thinking is so wishful (I know many of the ppl will say, let him dream...of course, be my guest)...but the reality is you need to take baby steps (as much as you say that you don't want to waste time, you need to show yourself that you can actually handle the academic pressures...b/c if you choose to go on the shortcut/speedy route, you might end up crashing, and you're self esteem is going to drop even lower than whatever you were feeling at the beginning of this thread)...so please be careful.

Wow, that was a super long post. Sorry guys! Anyways, I hope you can figure out several different options that are realistic....and tell them to your parents. You're gonna make them sad/mad either way, but in the end, they're your parents and they're gonna love you no matter what (even if you "screwed up" big time in university-you need to accept the consequences and move on to something realistic.

Wow, this thread took so much time to read. I really do feel for you stellaray.....b/c I know how it feels coming from a strict asian family.

I had difficulties going through university (although not to the point of getting academic probation, but I was barely passing)...and it was really hard for me to admit to my parents, they knew I was struggling except they didn't know why I was stressed out (some how I lost my motivation/bad study habits/I had so many excuses). So it wasn't until I finally graduated, when I had to think of my next step my parents eventually found out that I had really crappy grades, and that was my reason for not pursuing anything after I got my BSc (I seriously just scraped by...which I'm not proud of)

My dad especially took it hard as he always refers back to my "glory days" in high school where I was the top student, awesome EC's, people knew me in my community, I was the one where everyone knew my dreams of being a doctor....the typical super star HS student...of course now I look back, I came from a small community, it didn't take much to be the "super star"...but what i'm trying to say is, my dad still thinks of me in that way and he took it really hard when I had to tell him that my grades were crappy and that my dreams of going into medical school were probably over, and that I wouldn't have a chance of doing a masters right away with the kind of grades that I produced.

So after a year of thinking what the hell am I going to do (I got a boring administrative desk job), and at this point I thought medical school was out of the question (I totally went into a "pity state" but my friend suggested i consider going into nursing, or doing something health related. At first I was like "what? ewww, no i don't want to do that" and I was thinking that why would I want to becomes anything besides a doctor? I admit I was immature and I thought the only position where I would feel good about myself (my parents didn't even pressure me to thinking of medicine) is if I became a doctor.

Now, I have decided to pursue a career in nursing (something that is health related), I'm using this opportunity for me to explore this area (who knows I might really enjoy it and want to do it for the rest of my life)...but I'm taking baby steps now. It pains me to think that I'm going to do 4 years of undergrad (again!), mostly b/c my dad points out the fact I could have done this right out of high school and already have a job and the fact most of my friends are doing what they want in life; but i think i've become more mature and accepting of my situation.

My dreams of becoming a doctor is not completely shattered....who knows, maybe I'll apply in my 3rd year of nursing/once I get my BSN (if my grades are stellar, and i'm doing EC's)...but i'm taking my time (I've accepted the fact that I didn't do things right in my first time of university-I rushed and wanted to finish my degree ASAP, not picking the right degree for the right reasons (I thought I should get something that would look good for medicine-in the end, i got poor grades, and i didn't even like my degree a whole lot). So now i've accepted it's ok to take the slow route (although i know my dad's not entirely cool w/ it, i think he's a little relieved with the fact that i'm not longer floating and denying that I'll be fine). Stellaray, obviously it's gonna be hard to tell you parents, and i avoided my parents like the plague after I graduated whenever they asked me "so what are your plans???", I might be biased b/c I've finally know what i'm gonna do...but i really think you might want to consider doing another BSc. b/c at least it's a short term plan (this will give you the confidence to see if you can do well academically and possibly have a career once you're done, just in case you don't get into medicine right away).

It's ok to tell your parents that you effed up and you're upset knowing the fact that they are probably disappointed....but if you tell them that you're really thinking about your career now, why can't you tell them about your thoughts of going to school overseas/that you want to go back to school and do something totally different? At least they know that you haven't completely given up, and that you know you were "stupid" for not telling them...b/c honestly as much as my parents were disappointed, if you tell them how bad you feel (which you have been able to express with complete strangers in this forum), I swear you will feel so much better telling them (yea, they'll be pissed off at the time same time), but the longer you deny them of what has happened to you, you are making it worse for yourself. I'm totally rambling now, but I wish you tons of luck (but like many have said in the forum, i'm a little hesitant with you jumping so quickly on the foreign schools).

I could definetely relate to many of your postings, but I think you need to stop thinking so narrowly and consider other careers (i.e. paramedics, nursing). You say want to go in to medicine so badly, and you think that your passion will allow you to become a doctor....this thinking is so wishful (I know many of the ppl will say, let him dream...of course, be my guest)...but the reality is you need to take baby steps (as much as you say that you don't want to waste time, you need to show yourself that you can actually handle the academic pressures...b/c if you choose to go on the shortcut/speedy route, you might end up crashing, and you're self esteem is going to drop even lower than whatever you were feeling at the beginning of this thread)...so please be careful.

Wow, that was a super long post. Sorry guys! Anyways, I hope you can figure out several different options that are realistic....and tell them to your parents. You're gonna make them sad/mad either way, but in the end, they're your parents and they're gonna love you no matter what (even if you "screwed up" big time in university-you need to accept the consequences and move on to something realistic.

This is the most constructive post in this entire thread.

As a side note, my uncle is a financial planner and does love it because he helps people achieve their dreams - owning a big house, sending kids to school (like your parents for instance), and retiring early enough to enjoy life.

My brother puts metal roofs on houses all day. He also likes his job very much. He actually builds something people enjoy and feel safe under that has good value. He also works all day with his friends without real pressure, time clocks, and earns good money. He like pointing at things and saying that he built, actually built, something.

The concept that medicine is the only rewarding career that is meaningful and you can actually enjoy is just too out there for words. Seems like you are going out of your way to trash every profession here except debatably medicine.

This is one of the greatest posts I have ever read. MANY "pre-meds" on this forums would do well to read it and take it to heart.

I will agree that a lot of your posts sound like you want to cut every corner you can to reduce the time it takes to get to medicine.

Honestly, if you get in, let alone "soon", it is a massive insult to every single med applicant out there, especially the ones who were rejected. I have friends who have worked a thousand times harder than you, who are still unsuccessful in their application and are therefore also on the "long road" to medicine (as opposed to the "fast track").

You say you intend to work hard for it - but realize that you actually have no idea what it's like to work hard enough to pull A+ in 5-6 courses per semester for 4 years straight. You don't even know what it's like to work hard enough to pull all A's for a single semester. And you have the audacity to talk back to some of the posters for flaming you?

It just goes to show how little you know of working hard for your dreams. Many of these posters you give attitude back to have been working harder than you, for longer than you, and some have been accepted into med school while others have not. What they all recognize, though, is how absurd it is for you to be telling us about this f*cked up situation where you can't even fess up about hiding your academic failures, and yet be planning the shortest road to med school possible.

Yes, you have wasted years of your life. Yes, it was your fault. Yes, it will take time to undo the damage. Yes, you might some day get into med school. No, you will not be under 30 years old. No, you don't deserve to get in any faster than that. Yes, there are people with more drive and discipline than you who never get in. No, all is not fair and just in the world if you get in anywhere while they don't.

Give me all the attitude you want. You haven't earned the right to scold anyone on this forum.

@Nursing_08:

That was a really great post! Thank you! My parents too have been hounding me about what do I plan to do after I graduate. We really are alike. Very much so. Although... I still think my parents (especially my dad) is alot more crazy than your dad... ^^

But I'm sure everyone says that about their own parents. It's a relief to know that your parents were more accepting when you told them you planned to restart again fresh.. 5 yrs behind everyone else.. just like me. And how all your friends are already well off on their way to pursuing what they wanted in life. It's really uncanny how much we are alike.

I just wanted to make it clear though, I'm not being narrow-minded or showing tunnel-vision! I have been listening to all the advice and help everyone has thrown me. I take from the ugly just as much as I do from the pretty and hopefuls. As it stands, right now my best option appears to be trying to obtain transfer credits in these next 2-3 yrs so that when I get off suspension I could start in the 3rd yr of a new undergrad degree. And maybe if I do show improvement my suspension will be reduced by a semester or so(besides, it would be more practical since starting university in the winter semester is screwy given alot of pre-reqs for winter courses are in the fall semester.. so I'll be sure to make a point of that when I would petition).

In reality, I am a very pessimistic person. So for me to sound like I'm going to hop on the next plane to Grenada given the chance... that takes alot from me. But I realise that under this huge amount of stress, waking up every morning with the sweat of desperation, with the clock just ticking away... I realise I do sound very frantic and narrow-minded. Because my end goal is still the same to see if I have it in me to become a physician. But I'm pessimistic person, so I realise the numbers are stacked against me. It's hard to decide what to do with my future. Perhaps, if I really do lack the skills and potential to help people as a doctor then maybe I should study something else (ie finance, business) in which I could help people financially by being able to donate. It really sucks to walk down College street or Bloor street or Queen's street or Spadina in Toronto... to walk by the homeless shelters and such as a little kid and being taught to look away at people in need. I volunteer my time now but as one person I can only do so much through volunteering. A big fat check would help so much more. Medically, it feels frustrating to know that I could have that potential in me but never be able to realise it and so everything now is left in the hands of strangers. Maybe I could have done a better job. Maybe not. I can only imagine what an amazing rush it is to know that doctors are like "God's mechanics" of the human body (I'm not religious btw.. leaning more atheist).

Anyways, I rambled on alot myself. Sorry. >.<

But I want you guys to know that I'm very much in the same predicament as Nursing_08 (except that lucky bastard did manage to scrape by and get his degree) and that I am considering all my options (including the non-med school ones). Honestly, I was only 7 courses short of graduating with my specialist degree too.. no honours however. I did the exact same thing and chose the exact same "presitigious" degree when I was back in high school thinking that med schools would love this. But after spending a week on these forums I realise that apparently med schools find degrees in other fields than biology more exciting... >_>'

Dr.Acula:

I have no problem with being scolded or when people are realistic with me. I thought I made that point very clear. I thought I made that point many times already. Again, I acknowledged that there are many more applicants that are harder working and how it is an achievement to obtain stellar grades for 4 yrs straight. Again, I made a point that I'm not trying to cut in line ahead of them. BUT the point of this thread was to assess if med school was still an option for me and if so what were the different ways (some faster, some slower, some better, some worse, some more probable, some less likely) that I could approach med school. The only thing that I and some others have "scolded" anyone for was for posting straight out flames with nothing to contribute to the discussion. The only thing that irritated me was when someone who apparently is getting sick of hearing me get help can't help themselves from coming to this thread and trying to persuade others from posting their help. If you don't want to help me then fine. Move on. I'm not worth your time. Given your last line you just want to kill anymore help I can get from others by starting a flamewar. Just move on. Please.

But yeah... anyways, as it stands...

Plan A: St George/Carribean schools

+ I am still crossing my fingers that I could get accepted to 1st yr pre-med so that I can basically get my 2nd chance/fresh start

+ I do plan to practice in the States (especially due to the loans and interest I'd have to pay off)

+ St George is reknown for their training for the USMLE

+ Able to finally live away from home

+ Beautiful campus =)

- Expensive as hell

- Will be hard to get a line of credit even with a co-signer and a letter of acceptance

- High attrition rate

- Biggest risk (but also biggest reward)

- Have to work harder than US med students for residencies

- The pre-med credits/degree are worthless outside of St George

Plan B: Credit Transfer from College/Athabasca

+ Potentially save myself 2 yrs off of my new undergrad degree

+ College tuition is cheaper (don't know about Athabasca's tuition though)

+ Maybe able to get alot of those hard pre-req courses out of the way before university (college GPA doesn't transfer, only the credits) so that when I get back in I can have easier courses setting myself up for 2 of my best university years

+ Maybe able to apply to Queen's, Western, Dalhousie based on my best 2 yrs

+ Maybe able to apply to St George/Carribean and be able to skip the St George pre-med program saving myself around $80,000

+ Maybe able to apply to US med schools (does anyone know if there's any respected med schools in the States that do what Queen's and Western does by only looking at your last 2 best yrs?_?)

+ Would still have an accreditted degree

- Risky 2 yrs because the university of Toronto only accepts x number of transfer students

- Could've been obtaining a diploma in that same time instead

- Don't know if I'm even allowed to ask to start a new degree let alone a new programme (ie finance, business, etc)

- I'd much rather practice in the States given the earning potential differences (I've already lost 5 yrs of my working life compared to my friends)

- Not sure how med schools would look at transfer credits.. especially if pre-reqs were done in college and not as a Full-time student

Plan C: Get a College diploma for direct to work (ie Paramedicine/Nursing)

+ Can start working in 2 yrs to help pay back my parents

+ Lots of hospital experience (and not just volunteering)

+ Possibly meet alot of interesting people, networking, stories, and inspiration

+ Find out how a deeper reason why I want to be a doctor by going through hell in school only to be put through hell'ish work schedules

- This is the longest route (3 yrs suspension, 4 yrs undergrad, possibly 2 yrs Masters = 7-9 yrs before applying to med school and still high chance of being turned down)

- Not sure where to go after if I don't enjoy being a paramedic or nurse

- Not sure what the difference is... but college really only offers "Practical Nursing" for undergrads whereas graduate students can take the "Registered Nursing" which I know pays quite well

- My CPR instructor this year told me how the average career for a paramedic is around 5-8 yrs because Canadians are getting fatter and fatter and more and more paramedics are hurting themselves on the job trying to move these patients

Plan D: Run away to BC and pursue 6 wks of Emerg 1st Responder Training

+ Fastest route to make money (pay back my parents)

+ Will be able to get-away from it all (parents, friends, etc)

- Will have the additional cost of having to support myself

- Will take up alot of time/Longest route like Plan C

- Hardest option to make time for school

- Not alot of job security (not hard to find other applicants with 6 wks of certification)

- Will have to work in rural areas only because more popular cities will have more competitive applicants with diplomas/degrees

- Not sure how accurate Dr.Cave is... >_>'

Plan E: Become an Entrepreneur

+ Doesn't require any credentials (you're your own boss!)

+ I like thinking up ideas... and options.. >.>

- Hard to get started (will take lots of capital, loans, and time)

- Only 1 in 10 small businesses make it? (Worse odds than med school)

Plan F: Kill myself

+ ^^

- =\

Plan G: Buy the next ticket to China and become a Shaolin Monk

+ Would be literally a "fresh start" on life

+ Maybe I could pick out my own name

+ You'd want me in your posse

- I like my hair

- Monks have to abstain... from.. y'know.. sex.. right? T-T

hey...what about this school: the Medical University in Lublin?

They offer a 6-year program and accept people based on high school marks.

I know someone who did 1-2 yrs of undergrad at McGill and was not doing well so he started med school at the Medical University in Lublin...I believe they accept students based on high school marks....not sure if you have to send your transcript from university to them...maybe worth looking into - give them a call?

I don't expect to be called McAnything anytime soon.. nor do I expect Grey's Anatomy to be what real medicine is about.

I am hesitating between calling you McBaby (because all you do is whine about your life) or McTroll because with your McGarbage, you reek of troll.

I am hesitating between calling you McBaby (because all you do is whine about your life) or McTroll because with your McGarbage, you reek of troll.

McTroll lmao

Man everyone that posted in this topic should become a lawyer...you guys/girls could rip apart anyone's defense

We offered advice, now just let the poor guy be.

artic_monkey:

Thank you for that! Their admission sounds much like University of Queensland in Australia and just like St George. But probably like St George or any other school.. I'd probably have to show my horrible university transcript.

Sigh =\

medpen:

...yeah, wow. So after just telling people to simply not post or come to this thread if they've got nothing to contribute.. and after even the "meanest" posters refrained from outright calling my life a joke.. here you come again with another ''witty'' substanceless post. Congrats! ^^

Are there really no mods on this forum for this? If I really am a troll, then holy **** do I have no life. Most of my posts are a page long and I actually take the time to read through and respond to most everything that's been said. And I'm over at valuemd.com and "trolling" there. I must be quite the awesome ****ing troll!! =D

Archived