Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, for activities like running in a race, who should we put down for a verifier?

As a race organizer myself, please don't ask them to be the verifier...especially as most race results tend to be posted somewhere online! This is where the UBC app fails to allow for scenarios when there isn't an appropriate verifier but a link to a website could work just fine.

I would put a parent or friend in the verifier spaces, then add a link to the online race results in the description field. UBC says that you can use your discretion...this should be fine.

just a quick last minute question before i submit my app. for those applying from UBC, for the transcript section where it says input courses as it appears on your transcript... did you guys just look at your SSC and input courses as it appeared on there? i assumed what they got from SISC is exactly this so I didn't bother ordering a physical transcript cause that would undermine the point of using the SISC to retrieve grades in the first place...

Quick question: The application asks to explain one or more part-time semesters in the additional information section. Is anything below a full course load (15 credits) considered part time, or does UBC define part-time like most universities (<9 credits/semester)?

As a non-trad I went back to school to fullfill my med school pre-requisites and a full course load was only required for one semester in order to complete all the relevant classes. I still ended up taking 52 credits in 2 years (was still working part-time, keeping busy etc...). Do I need to explain that in the additional information section?

ps.

My undergrad degree was completed in four years (ie. full-time)

Might as well, can't hurt. :)

just a quick last minute question before i submit my app. for those applying from UBC, for the transcript section where it says input courses as it appears on your transcript... did you guys just look at your SSC and input courses as it appeared on there? i assumed what they got from SISC is exactly this so I didn't bother ordering a physical transcript cause that would undermine the point of using the SISC to retrieve grades in the first place...

I think most applicants don't bother looking at a physical transcript, since most schools have grades online.

edit: what you said you are doing should be fine.

I'm almost done my app...currently at the Rural Training part and wondering how much effort to put into it. Basically what I'm wondering is if this part is evaluated in a binary manner (where an applicant either is or isn't suitable for the NMP)? Or does this work a different way?

I'm under the impression that the information entered in this section doesn't influence our admissions chances/score for the overall UBC system...

I'm almost done my app...currently at the Rural Training part and wondering how much effort to put into it. Basically what I'm wondering is if this part is evaluated in a binary manner (where an applicant either is or isn't suitable for the NMP)? Or does this work a different way?

I'm under the impression that the information entered in this section doesn't influence our admissions chances/score for the overall UBC system...

This is my impression too.

It's either a "yes, they are suitable" or a "no, not suitable".

I am under the impression that it is evaluated independently of the rest of the NAQs.

My turn to ask a question.

Are most ppl with NSERC awards putting them in both the "academic awards" and "research" sections?

hey km,

i don't have an NSERC, but i have a SSRP and i only put that under academic awards. for the research, i just put the research that i did and didn't mention the award. i guess it wouldn't hurt to mention it but i didn't have enough characters so i just left it out

Do you think "PT" and "FT" are ok to use as abbreviations for the employment section?

I hate spending characters to explain varying hours when it is one of the major components of my application, and I need every precious character!

isn't there an option to select for PT and FT actually?? one of the drop down menus

Speaking of hours...when you put non-academic awards/scholarships under the 'diversity of experience' and 'high performance in an area of human endeavour' sections, what do you put for hours? Since there aren't any hours for an award, and the system forces you to put in a number.

Speaking of hours...when you put non-academic awards/scholarships under the 'diversity of experience' and 'high performance in an area of human endeavour' sections, what do you put for hours? Since there aren't any hours for an award, and the system forces you to put in a number.

Well if the award was given for an activity you can put the hours of that activity

No you can't. See page 7 of the help guide.

"Research, *academic *awards *and *employment *history *should *not *be *included *in *your *list *of *non-*‐academic *activities. * Please *describe *these *experiences *in *the *appropriate *areas *of *the *application."

i volunteered in a lab so i put that under "research" can i also put it in NAQ?

Do you guys think there is an advantage checking the box for rural?

I actually don't mind going to northern BC except I haven't lived anywhere besides vancouver, so they probably won't take me into consideration anyways, right?

If I put prince george as, say, my 2nd choice, then I have to fill out the essay under the rural section, correct?

Thank you.

Just out of curiosity, do people put directed studies and some lab courses as part of the "Research" section? I'm not in a position of doing so but was just wondering since that section seems somewhat ambiguous.

"This section captures information about your academic research activities (including lab or research experience" - that's what the OAS help guide says... and I can really see directed studies as being part of "your academic research activities."

Archived