Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

Hey!! For folks who entered lab work in both research and employment history, did you copy the description from research section verbatim and then added 100 characters to the employment box, or did you write a completely different description?

I have the EXACT question!

What I am doing is writing the long 350word one first and then cutting it down to 250.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ye, this part of the application is unclear! My approach so far has been to copy the 250 words - as I don't want them to think that I am trying to sneak in a new experience - and then add a new line about what I learned.

But sometimes I do feel that I should write a completely new description, highlighting a separate project i worked on in the same lab, and sneak in a new experience, lol not sure.

Hi Everyone,

Need your opinion on an appropriate verifier. I own my own business and have it under the NAQ leadership section as well as employment. Last year I used my mom as a verifier for the NAQ section and someone I work closely with in the employment section. Do you think its appropriate to use my mom for this? Or should I use the same verifier as in the employment section? Or not include this in NAQ at all? I figure its important to include in NAQ as it a major accomplishment of mine that shows initiative and professional development...

Any opinions?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I went back a few pages on this thread and couldn't find anything. But is it OK to use short forms of words in the description section? Like really obvious ones such as "w/" in place of the word "with". Also, is it OK to not leave space between symbols such as commas and the "&" symbol? Or does this all just look really unprofessional? Is anyone else doing this?

Ahhhh the 250 characters limit! :eek:

Hi Everyone,

Need your opinion on an appropriate verifier. I own my own business and have it under the NAQ leadership section as well as employment. Last year I used my mom as a verifier for the NAQ section and someone I work closely with in the employment section. Do you think its appropriate to use my mom for this? Or should I use the same verifier as in the employment section? Or not include this in NAQ at all? I figure its important to include in NAQ as it a major accomplishment of mine that shows initiative and professional development...

Any opinions?

From my understanding, you cannot include an entry both in NAQ AND Employment - it's either or. Just include it in employment so then you can include an extra entry under leadership to maximize your score. Regarding verifier, you should use your co-partner instead of your parent. Friends and family should be used only when you have no other alternative.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I went back a few pages on this thread and couldn't find anything. But is it OK to use short forms of words in the description section? Like really obvious ones such as "w/" in place of the word "with". Also, is it OK to not leave space between symbols such as commas and the "&" symbol? Or does this all just look really unprofessional? Is anyone else doing this?

Personally, I wouldn't do that. Having the proper form looks much nicer. I am not sure if you have already tried this, but some people like to avoid using pronouns and stick with bullet points to save space...

I certainly hope that is okay, because my application has been submitted and is covered in that. I'm sure it is fine. 250 char.... so lame.

Does anyone know what to put under "Organization" if I want to describe a hobby or experience I do on my own, like running or solo travel experiences in the Non-Academic Activities section? The online application won't let me submit if I leave that space blank.

Does anyone know what to put under "Organization" if I want to describe a hobby or experience I do on my own, like running or solo travel experiences in the Non-Academic Activities section? The online application won't let me submit if I leave that space blank.

I just put N/A and it let me save it =)

I wouldn't leave out the spaces between symbols,it looks very strange&while they are marking you on content and not your writing,it could subconsciously affect their decisions.

I think "w/" as an abbreviation for "with" is fairly standard though!

Hi Everyone,

Any opinions?

I also have my own business, with my partner. I put my accountant, since all they need to give is "yes, she did that" rather than a reference. Perhaps a supplier, or a customer even?

I am not sure if this has been answered before but any help is appreciated. How do you enter a course you voluntarily withdrew from in the transcript section? I noticed when you mark complete they give a withdrawal option or do you not check off complete and they assume its a withdrawal because technically I did not complete the course. If anyone could clear this up it would be appreciated.

Yeah you're right I think I'm gonna stop with the no space thing.

What other symbols and short forms is everyone else using? The only ones I've been able to come up with so far are "w/" and "&". And its not enough :(

I wouldn't leave out the spaces between symbols,it looks very strange&while they are marking you on content and not your writing,it could subconsciously affect their decisions.

I think "w/" as an abbreviation for "with" is fairly standard though!

I am tempted to use a bit of humor on these ones... for example "School of Life" for travelling. Not sure if admissions would appreciate it though ;)

I just put 'no organization. independent activity'.

Quick question: The application asks to explain one or more part-time semesters in the additional information section. Is anything below a full course load (15 credits) considered part time, or does UBC define part-time like most universities (<9 credits/semester)?

As a non-trad I went back to school to fullfill my med school pre-requisites and a full course load was only required for one semester in order to complete all the relevant classes. I still ended up taking 52 credits in 2 years (was still working part-time, keeping busy etc...). Do I need to explain that in the additional information section?

ps.

My undergrad degree was completed in four years (ie. full-time)

Hello fellow applicants!

Just a quick question. I have completed the requirements for my biochemistry degree, but I chose not to graduate because I want to take a few more courses this year to complete a chemistry minor. In the "other information" section where it says "The highest level of education you have completed, currently", I have no idea what to put because I have unofficially achieved my degree. Thanks

Hello fellow applicants!

Just a quick question. I have completed the requirements for my biochemistry degree, but I chose not to graduate because I want to take a few more courses this year to complete a chemistry minor. In the "other information" section where it says "The highest level of education you have completed, currently", I have no idea what to put because I have unofficially achieved my degree. Thanks

Well since you don't have your degree yet, I'm pretty sure you have to say either three years of undergrad (if that is an option) or high school.

Archived