Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

I have already submitted.but for awards like deans' list and honor society,I just put awarded for how many years but not it's criteria.I mean most adcoms know approximately how many people get it? And for entrance scholarship and university based scholarship,if I don' t know the exact number or percentage if ppl awarded,can I just say high entrance averages or academic performance?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just out of curiosity, do people put directed studies and some lab courses as part of the "Research" section? I'm not in a position of doing so but was just wondering since that section seems somewhat ambiguous.

"This section captures information about your academic research activities (including lab or research experience" - that's what the OAS help guide says... and I can really see directed studies as being part of "your academic research activities."

I think when they say "lab experience", they mean working in a lab, and not just taking a lab course.

I included my directed studies, since I spent a term working in the lab, had a research findings write-up to do, and it could have turned into a paper (but didn't).

I have not included any course labwork (even larger projects) becuse I don't think that's what they're looking for.

Under the research section, what did u put for "TITLE"?

title of your position or title of the research project??the help guide doesn't specify!!

Title of the position I guess; I wrote research lab assistant.

Huh. I put the actual title of my project "Copepod Stratigraphy of the Haslam Shale" for example.

In the description box I put "Honours project, blah blah"

I guess that's one of the things that is open to interpretation!

Speaking of hours...when you put non-academic awards/scholarships under the 'diversity of experience' and 'high performance in an area of human endeavour' sections, what do you put for hours? Since there aren't any hours for an award, and the system forces you to put in a number.

You could put "1" hour.

Speaking of hours...when you put non-academic awards/scholarships under the 'diversity of experience' and 'high performance in an area of human endeavour' sections, what do you put for hours? Since there aren't any hours for an award, and the system forces you to put in a number.

Do you guys think there is an advantage checking the box for rural?

I actually don't mind going to northern BC except I haven't lived anywhere besides vancouver, so they probably won't take me into consideration anyways, right?

If I put prince george as, say, my 2nd choice, then I have to fill out the essay under the rural section, correct?

Thank you.

No-one really knows, but if you are interested in rural-focused training, and you're from Vancouver, you had better make your case that you are a suitable candidate.

The general consensus is: it's either a "yes, they are suitable" or a "no, not suitable". But this is pure conjecture.

Being from Van is not a definite that you're not suitable. I'm "from" North Van, but have lived in more rural areas for my whole adult life. I live in Whitehorse as of 6 weeks ago. I'm able to flesh out that section with a whole whack of activities that I can't necessarily put in the NAQ section, like hunting, gardening and wild food gathering, hiking, mtn biking, camping.

Bottom line- if you think you might be interested, and you want to keep your options open, fill out the section. The worst they can say is no. If you don't fill it out, I think that you are closing the door to that location (or maybe not, no-one really knows anything about the selection!)

Also keep in mind that other locations offer rural training as well. I know IMP has strong ties with aboriginal health on the island, and even though the SMP is brand new, I know some surgeons at the Kelowna hospital are very interested in training students, and have rural/remote interests. If I wound up at the VFMP (highly unlikely as it would be my 4th choice) I would still find a way to get out into the communities.

I assumed title meant your position like research assistant. But it would make sense for why title of project may be appropriate. I'm not sure about this one...I just put in my role in the research project.

Huh. I put the actual title of my project "Dinoflagellate Stratigraphy of the Trent River Formation" for example.

In the description box I put "Honours project, blah blah"

I guess that's one of the things that is open to interpretation!

OK- would it ever be appropriate to use exclamation points in the description for NAQs?

I'm a pretty "enthusiastic" person, and I think that using them makes my personality show through in my application, but I often wonder if it makes it look less professional.

An example, from volunteering at the Olympics (not what I actually wrote):

"I felt privileged to be an ambassador for my country and city!"

What do all of you think?

OK- would it ever be appropriate to use exclamation points in the description for NAQs?

I'm a pretty "enthusiastic" person, and I think that using them makes my personality show through in my application, but I often wonder if it makes it look less professional.

I don't think it's a big deal as long as it's not too over the top. I think if you used them in every description that might raise eyebrows. However, if you use it once in awhile and in "appropriate" places, I think it should be fine. I like using exclamation marks as well, but I just left them off my app because I didn't find anywhere that I could really use them.

An exclamation mark is like laughing at your own jokes.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Must be a great feeling. Can't wait until I can submit mine! :P

Same here! I'm almost done...just the NAQs left to copy from index cards to the form. 3 entries in each of the 5 catagories...should be done by 3pm :) (then I can finally start on the other things I have to do this weekend!)

Regarding the rural suitability section - I believe it can affect how you rank as a post-interview applicant.

I applied last year and I was told I got >90% adjusted on RRS. The person I was speaking to advised me to fill it out again because this was a great score and it will "help [my] application". He didn't clarify exactly what this means - do I need to rank NMP as #1 to get more points towards my score with my high RRS score? Does it help me if it's my #2 choice? Does it only matter against other people who chose NMP as #1?

Fill it out if you like PG or rural places and can live here for at least 2 years :)

I think when they say "lab experience", they mean working in a lab, and not just taking a lab course.

I included my directed studies, since I spent a term working in the lab, had a research findings write-up to do, and it could have turned into a paper (but didn't).

I have not included any course lab work (even larger projects) because I don't think that's what they're looking for.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't taken directed studies before but am considering it based on the pros and cons. I've asked numerous people and they all they it may pull down my GPA because the course load is larger than normal. It is a definite pro if you can use it in the research section. Just confirming to see what other think about the situation.

I know you can use the directed studies supervisor for only the academic reference (not the other 2), so thought that maybe it wasn't allowed to be part of your "non-academic" activities (since research is part of the NAQ evaluation).

Anywayssssssssssss, how do you join team persistence?

Regarding the rural suitability section - I believe it can affect how you rank as a post-interview applicant.

I applied last year and I was told I got >90% adjusted on RRS. The person I was speaking to advised me to fill it out again because this was a great score and it will "help [my] application". He didn't clarify exactly what this means - do I need to rank NMP as #1 to get more points towards my score with my high RRS score? Does it help me if it's my #2 choice? Does it only matter against other people who chose NMP as #1?

Fill it out if you like PG or rural places and can live here for at least 2 years :)

But basically I cannot justify my experiences in rural places because I have none. But I believe I would not mind living in PG.... So i'm trying to fill this section in before I submit my application but it is quite empty at the moment.

Do you have outdoor activities? I have everything from sailing to hunting to mountain biking, which could all apply to someone from Kelowna or Vancouver Island. Because there is an essay associated with RRS I think you could explain that you would enjoy PG and the north. Its probably worth a shot.

Same here! I'm almost done...just the NAQs left to copy from index cards to the form. 3 entries in each of the 5 catagories...should be done by 3pm :) (then I can finally start on the other things I have to do this weekend!)

Index cards- nice! I have a large sheet of newsprint that is colour coordinated for the 5 categories. Index cards would probably be better, though. :)

Anywayssssssssssss, how do you join team persistence?

You gotta be rejected first. :P

Or... you can promise that you will reapply in the future if rejected this year. That's what some people seem to be doing.

PM one of us for the other supersekrit initiation rites. You may want to source an eye of newt today while you still have daylight.

Index cards- nice! I have a large sheet of newsprint that is colour coordinated for the 5 categories. Index cards would probably be better, though. :)

It's funny, I rarely use index cards for anything, but it occurred to me last week that they're perfect for arranging each of the entries for work/research/volunteering.

Archived