Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

It's funny, I rarely use index cards for anything, but it occurred to me last week that they're perfect for arranging each of the entries for work/research/volunteering.

Tha's hilarious, because I am the queen of index cards and multicoloured sharpies for writing on them. I can't believe I didn't think of it!

I like my "activities map", though. It definitely worked.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh wow people are being creative & really having fun with this NAQ...index cards & colour coordination, nice!

I just created 5 seperate word documents for each section...which has a lot of colour i would say...just not coordinated...

I am however making points/reminders on my notepad w/ different coloured scented gel pens...its amazing how much fun/painless working on the NAQ can be when u have nice pens :D

Index cards- nice! I have a large sheet of newsprint that is colour coordinated for the 5 categories. Index cards would probably be better, though. :)

did u guys actually put in any personal vacation as travel experience?

I did, because I have significant solo travel experience in remote areas. I don't tend to take resort vacations, LOL!

If all you have is ClubMed and all-inclusives and places you went with your parents, maybe not?

It's up to you, and if you have room then you might as well. :)

I was not expecting people making cuecards and colour coded things for the NAQ section lol. I just sat down and wrote my activities in the application in one go with no refrences. Then I went and added dates and double checked spelling and stuff. lol Since I am not really a creative person cue cards and things would not work for me, the world of the creative people though always amazes me.

I was not expecting people making cuecards and colour coded things for the NAQ section lol. I just sat down and wrote my activities in the application in one go with no refrences. Then I went and added dates and double checked spelling and stuff. lol Since I am not really a creative person cue cards and things would not work for me, the world of the creative people though always amazes me.

Haha, I pretty much did the same thing. Flashcards just aren't my forte.

Does UBC actually contact the verifiers? I already contacted mine and confirmed all the hours but was just wondering if I should copy and paste the entire section (of the NAQ section) to my verifiers...

That's what I did, just to be super polite. The one who didn't have email- I read it to her over the phone.

It was very useful, for example one verifier who insisted I did not call myself "Assistant manager", instead he wanted me to call myself "assistant to manager" because "there's no such thing as an assistant manager in our company"

Dude! Do you not realize you have just messed up my character count? That is the duty I was performing! Did I not act as the manager for 3 weeks when she went on vacation, and do the cash balancing, and scheduling, etc! Aarggh! LOL!

Anyways, if they had called him and he had said, "well, she was not exactly an assistant manager" then I don't know what would have happened to that entry. maybe it would have been made null, maybe they would have flagged my file?

I personally don't see the point of leaving out a high school activity if you still have room. It's not like you'll be penalized for having extra activities on your application, worst comes to worst the adcom will give you 0 credit for those activities, which is what you would have gotten if you left them out.

So I'm just reading over my application one more time before submitting. And I'm wondering - how long is everybody's description for each academic award? It allows 500 characters!! More than any other section. And all I have is 1 sentence. What else should I be including in here?

So I'm just reading over my application one more time before submitting. And I'm wondering - how long is everybody's description for each academic award? It allows 500 characters!! More than any other section. And all I have is 1 sentence. What else should I be including in here?

For some awards I just have one sentence as well. For others I either have the description from the website or I described what I received for the award, if other than monetary amount. eg certificate etc

Done and submitted. But I did not inform all my verifiers yet. *jitters*

Do you know if they cut people out with the MCAT scores first? or do they review the academic/NAQ first before looking at the mcat?

I would think that they cut people out with the MCAT score first. If someone doesn't meet the minimum cutoff (7/7/7/M) then their file doesn't move forward for the NAQ review.

Well on their website it says pre-interview is your GPA and NAQ.

"The first cut-off for invitation to interview is based on a score derived from applicants’ Overall Academic Average or Adjusted Academic Average (if applicable) and a Non-Academic Qualities Score."

I would think that they cut people out with the MCAT score first. If someone doesn't meet the minimum cutoff (7/7/7/M) then their file doesn't move forward for the NAQ review.

I maxed out for each category, except for High Performance of course, but I included 2 national awards there.

i also maxed everything out but I had about 12 activities/awards that I did or received in high school (some of these activities had a 5 year commitment, but there were others that were just for a few months)

Archived