Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Particularly for NAQ. I suppose this allows those who have extraordinary non-academic achievements to have a legitimate shot for an interview under the new AQ system.

Interesting point. But I dont see how this would do that. Say you use to get 15 and 15, and now you get 30 and 30. IT will display differently, but i dont see how this change would directly change the distrabution. Also, if they wanted to change the distrabution, they dont need to make it out of 50, as examplified by what was done with the AQ last year, which drastically changed the distrabution.

Interesting point. But I dont see how this would do that. Say you use to get 15 and 15, and now you get 30 and 30. IT will display differently, but i dont see how this change would directly change the distrabution. Also, if they wanted to change the distrabution, they dont need to make it out of 50, as examplified by what was done with the AQ last year, which drastically changed the distrabution.

The conversion won't be that simple I suppose.

Hey everyone. Hope everything is going great and the app is far from your thoughts. :D I haven't actually really thought about the app too much since I submitted since there's nothing you can change anyway. Only a few more months until we know the next step!

By app do you mean to say application?

With regards to the new scoring, has anyone else been paying attention to UofC's scoring changes?

My biggest beef with UBC's NAQ vs AQ was that there was a big range in the AQ scores, while the NAQs seemed to be grouped pretty closely together. Sorry for not getting technical and stats-y, but I don't want to right now.

UofC is using z-scoring for each of its sections this year, and I'm hoping that UBC might be thinking along the same lines. Hoping.

If you have 3 hrs and nothing better to do, you might want to listen to Dr. Walker's podcast on the UofC site- it's really interesting.

With regards to the new scoring, has anyone else been paying attention to UofC's scoring changes?

My biggest beef with UBC's NAQ vs AQ was that there was a big range in the AQ scores, while the NAQs seemed to be grouped pretty closely together. Sorry for not getting technical and stats-y, but I don't want to right now.

UofC is using z-scoring for each of its sections this year, and I'm hoping that UBC might be thinking along the same lines. Hoping.

If you have 3 hrs and nothing better to do, you might want to listen to Dr. Walker's podcast on the UofC site- it's really interesting.

Agreed. Anyone with a resume can get at least 10 NAQ, but it's tough to crack 18+ even for people with sick resumes, which makes no sense.

I've got it saved as a pdf and am happy to pass it on... I couldn't figure out how to attach the file to a message though! Is it possible?

Yup :)

Below the comment box that appears when writing a message, there is a heading called "Manage Attachments".

It will direct you to a window asking you to upload the file.

.PDF is a valid extension.

(this is all assuming you want the attachment to appear in a thread -- I don't think it's possible via PM).

Does UBC give the breakdown of NAq and Aq to the applicants who are invited for the interview?

No.

10 char

Adding that the answer is YES, if you are rejected post-interview. This is of course subject to change.

Cerena's answer was correct to the question as asked, but I just wanted to throw that in there.

So... how does everyone feel right now during the waiting period?

To be honest, haven't really thought about it. I've been really busy lately and I haven't even looked to see when notifications come out, as then I won't think about it and the email will come one day and I will either get good news or bad news, then move on with my life. :P

Archived