Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a quick question.for NAQ descriptions,I described what I did,but I used verbs that indicated the responsibilities or skills involved( such as recruit,organize,plan..) is this sufficient without going to details about what I ve learned( hard to fit them all in 250 characters)

I think they'll get the idea...if they wanted more detail than they would have provided more than 250char

Feels really good to be done!

But as repeat applicant I must say I feel a little bit of anxiety as I have made it to the point of interviews on previous occasions only to receive regrets in the end. The question lingering in my head is what do I do differently this time??

Good to be done though!! Back in the game!

Just wanted to drop by to wish all of you guys the best! I know how much anxiety this whole process causes so hang in there, you've made it to this point so be proud of all your accomplishments. Try to take it easy while waiting for November when interview notifications come out (easier said than done but you can do it). Best of luck! :)

Even after checking a million times (at least it feels like that), I just noticed that I mistyped a verifier's phone number and exchanged a 9 instead of a 6. Is there anything I should do? Email UBC and let them know?

That's what I'd do, but still, don't worry too much about it. If they try the number and it's not right, they'll get in touch with you to straighten things out, at which point you can inform them of your typo... they won't automatically put it as a mark against you. (They told me this as one of my verifiers is moving in September and will probably be changing numbers.)

• 3 weeks later...
That's what I'd do, but still, don't worry too much about it. If they try the number and it's not right, they'll get in touch with you to straighten things out, at which point you can inform them of your typo... they won't automatically put it as a mark against you. (They told me this as one of my verifiers is moving in September and will probably be changing numbers.)

Uh oh... I just found out i have mistyped a phone number and one of my verifiers changed phone numbers too. Should I email them via the system application system? :(

Did you get an e-mail because they couldn't contact your verifier??

Thanks.. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone. Hope everything is going great and the app is far from your thoughts. :D I haven't actually really thought about the app too much since I submitted since there's nothing you can change anyway. Only a few more months until we know the next step!

I was just thinking the same thing today!

Hope everyone is doing well :)

Hey everyone. Hope everything is going great and the app is far from your thoughts. :D I haven't actually really thought about the app too much since I submitted since there's nothing you can change anyway. Only a few more months until we know the next step!

I have been thinking about the app! My application was invalid the first year I applied and last year I didn't get in. I really want this year to be it! It is awesome to have this forum to use as an outlet so my friends and family do not have to hear me talking about applications all the time :)

Just wanted to say: good luck to this years applicants.

You only have about 7 weeks until notifications go out... It will fly by. Keep building on your app as if you will receive a rejection. It will help keep you busy and it will also help if you aren't offered an interview.

If you have any questions about Ubc hit me up and I'll do my best to answer when I can.

Again, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

MED 2015 Stats posted... very interesting. Things definitely changed last cycle, take a look for yourself.

http://www.med.ubc.ca/__shared/assets/MED_2015_Admissions_Statistics22494.pdf

Things I noticed - look how low the mean age is now - they are definitely selecting a lot more younger applicants - and without degrees- 56!!!! That's a huge chunk of the class! I really think the change last cycle that emphasized academics is responsible for this, seems like they are going for more traditional students as opposed to non. Also, look how close the overall MCAT average is for those accepted vs refused, looks like it must not be a huge factor if they are that close. Also, I now see why they had to add people back to the waitlist, that's a lot of declining! Anyways, again looks like UBC students completely dominated the people accepted - 142!! I'm happy SFU acceptances went back up to 19 - but it will be really interesting to see how the new grade conversion table will change this stat, I think the dominance of UBC will be decreased next cycle, and GPA schools will get more students in.

Archived