Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha same here. I only have 4 things in my diversity of experience section. I think it's better to refrain from filling it up with random things as they can probably tell and also they specifically said in the help guide that it is not a place to put in extra entries that belong to the other sections.

Hi Everyone,

Im having some trouble deciding which course description to use for some of my classes. I took HKIN at UBC and the Kinesiology course description doesn't quite work for a lot of the classes as HKIN encompasses much more than Kinesiology.

For instance, HKIN 190 & 191 are both Anatomy and Physiology classes, HKIN 151 is biomechanics, HKIN 275 is Exercise Physiology ect.

Do you think its best I use Kinesiology for all my HKIN classes and just enter the course number?

IE: For HKIN 190, course: Kinesiology course no: 190

OR use the best descriptor

IE: For HKIN 190, course: Anatomy course no:190

I know the help guide instructs to pick the best match.

Alternatively....

for HKIN190 i could enter, course: Anatomy course no:HKIN 190

did anyone enter the course code in the course number section or only the actual number?

Thanks for any input!

Hi Everyone,

Im having some trouble deciding which course description to use for some of my classes. I took HKIN at UBC and the Kinesiology course description doesn't quite work for a lot of the classes as HKIN encompasses much more than Kinesiology.

For instance, HKIN 190 & 191 are both Anatomy and Physiology classes, HKIN 151 is biomechanics, HKIN 275 is Exercise Physiology ect.

Do you think its best I use Kinesiology for all my HKIN classes and just enter the course number?

Alternatively....

did anyone enter the course code in the course number section or only the actual number?

Thanks for any input!

ALSO - for anyone who went on exchange... did you include EXCH380 as a course or just add the university you went to?

Thanks! It's going to be your year too!:)

Hey K-Doc...

Best of luck! Work hard over the next few days. :)

Yeah yeah.

Let's do it :P

Let's go team persistence! ;) I can't wait to finish this app though, I forgot how tedious it is to describe the activities with that small character limit!!!

Hi Everyone,

Alternatively....

Thanks for any input!

Hey dozer, I'm in Biomedical Physiology at SFU, but all our courses are labeled as KIN since it's included in the Kinesiology department! So I would do what you are doing, if the course is anatomy but labelled as HKIN, use the anatomy label under the drop down menu as the help guide says use the most applicable. (It has the Organic Chemistry as an example). Just like if it's a HKIN course and it's mainly physiology, use the physiology and not the kinesiology. I'm just going by how I interpreted the help guide! Anyways, best of luck!

As for your number question, I think just leave it as 190? I think putting in the "HKIN 190" is over kill since it's on your transcript. Just make sure you keep it in the right order so they can see where you are coming from.

Let's go team persistence! ;) I can't wait to finish this app though, I forgot how tedious it is to describe the activities with that small character limit!!!

Go team persistence!!! ... i cannot even count all my apps to ubc over the years haha ... kind of! But maybe this'll be it!

Go team persistence!!! ... i cannot even count all my apps to ubc over the years haha ... kind of! But maybe this'll be it!

Dude I totally know how you feel. It was pretty demoralizing at first but now I sort of got used to it lol

Well if we are all lucky enough to get interviews, I think we should practice interviewing together! 7/10 people that I practiced interviewing with got in last cycle, so I definitely felt left out!

I only have like 4 things on the diversity of experience and also 0 on the human achievement thing.

I have taken the negativity from having few activities and turned it into a positive by adopting the philosophy that it is good to have things short and sweet. lol.

I think this is the right philosophy to have about presenting yourself!

I've been on the other side before, having to evaluate people, and became overwhelmed when some people presented way too many items on their resumes.

Well if we are all lucky enough to get interviews, I think we should practice interviewing together! 7/10 people that I practiced interviewing with got in last cycle, so I definitely felt left out!

K-doc, let's do a Skype mock interview :) if I'm so lucky to get an interview this time!

can first time applicants be included? :rolleyes:

if so count me in!

Of course! Team persistence doesn't discriminate! Besides, I think practicing with as many different people as possible is the best way to prepare for the interview. I felt like after practicing with 10 different people, I wasn't nervous come interview day, because I was use to the whole situation. Let's just hope all of us get interviews!!!

K-doc, let's do a Skype mock interview if I'm so lucky to get an interview this time!

For sure if we both get interviews!!!

What up peeps :) I'll be joining your ranks since i've decided to start up my application today ^_^

Wewt Wewt! Let cycle 2, begin!

YeahYeah Obi! Are you applying to UBC too? Or just Ontario schools?

It's my first time trying out for UBC. Interviewed at an Ontario med school last year and didn't get in ( GO TEAM PERSISTENCE!

Rockin' the "Team Persistence" sig.

Bonne idée, K-doc

Me2 =) Go Team!

Glad Team Persistence has such awesome members! :) Let's make this cycle our cycle!!! :D

Sorry about that K-doc! I remember reading your post that day and I can relate with that feeling! Hopefully all of us reapplicants got the sting of regrets out of our system, and, perhaps, that experience made us even more motivated and focused for this cycle!!!!

Practicing together sounds like a great idea!!

Archived