Premed 101 Forums

"Studying Medicine"

ubc_earnestw

Hey,

Completely random question but was just curious if any other medical students have had the same experience. Every time someone asks what I'm taking in school, I reply with "I'm studying medicine at UBC". I'm not sure if people from Vancouver are particularly dense, but many people can't seem to equate this to becoming a doctor. Would saying something like "I'm in medical school at UBC" be more clear?

Some responses I have gotten were:

"Oh my cousin is studying medicine too. She works at shoppers and counts pills all day and really dislikes her job" (No offense to Pharm students here...I am just writing what I heard)

"Cool. So you're going to work for a company to make new drugs?"

"So what will you do after you graduate?" (I realize even with a full understanding of what an MD is this is still a legit question...but it was the tone of the question that seemed to imply that she did not understand that I would be becoming a doctor)

I tend to say, "I'm in medical school," when people ask me what I'm doing. This often leads to one of the following two responses: "Oh, so you're going to be a nurse!" or "And what are you taking in medical school?" So no, I don't think that you'll necessarily get the point across any better if you start telling people you're in medical school rather than that you're studying medicine. :)

I avoid these conversations, as it appears about 90% of the population is "studying medicine." This appears to include high school students, nursing students, acupuncture students, and animal technicians, among others.

I try my best to avoid these questions as well. I don't disclose that I'm in medical school unless someone asks me. This is mainly because I don't want people to label me as "doctor" and treat me differently or even worse, get the misconception that I am bragging.

However, it is pretty much impossible to avoid being asked this question. Anytime you meet someone new and get to know each other a little more (this happened to me last night at the club) the question inevitably pops up.

Anyways, thanks for your opinions. I guess "medicine" is a very vague term to the general public...and only people who lived the pre-med life or have had friends in biology would know that "medical school" = MD.

many people can't seem to equate this to becoming a doctor

why do you care whether or not everyone finds out that you are studying to become a doctor? Trust me, people who a genuinely interested in you will ask you more questions; and people who are asking where you study just for the sake of asking a question and making a small talk.. why do you care whether or not they find out you are going to become a doctor?

why do you care whether or not everyone finds out that you are studying to become a doctor? Trust me, people who a genuinely interested in you will ask you more questions; and people who are asking where you study just for the sake of asking a question and making a small talk.. why do you care whether or not they find out you are going to become a doctor?

I don't know that any of us actually said that we care whether or not people find out that we're going to be doctors (I certainly don't care and I don't bring it up unless people start asking me what I do for a living - and in certain circles, I actively try to avoid the topic). The OP was just making an observation that to most people, medical school doesn't imply that you're studying to become an MD.

Ha, I say that I'm a "cardio-thoracic-neuro-surgeon-in-training", if she is a pretty girl :D :D j/k

Otherwise, I tell them I am a university student. I don't add the "medical" part.

LOL jokes on you... most girls wouldn't know what the heck a cardio-thoracic surgeon is, they'd wonder if you're even a real doctor or not.

???

When I say I'm studying biomedical sciences, people think I'm in medschool :rolleyes:

HAH! I have the exact same problem! people just hear "medical" and assume things.

It would be hilariously ironic if I had the opposite problem in med school, as in people would hear medicine and assume pharmacy or something like that

Um...excuse me? Maybe you should read the entire thread..and especially my second post before you try to give some life advice. I was simply just trying to see if any other medical students were having a similar experience...

Keep the doctor thing to a minimum.

The only place I ever throw around the MD is at the bank when they're trying to charge me a new fee. That cuts them off pretty quick.

Never tell salespeople, dates, or investors that you are a doctor. Might as well just burn your money.

+1. In a public setting, I just tell people I'm a student (technically true).

"I don't want people to label me as "doctor" and treat me differently or even worse, get the misconception that I am bragging."

Do people really think so highly of doctors?

Perhaps this depends somewhat on the stage of life I'm currently in. I'm in my early 20's and most of my friends have not gone through post-secondary education. Many HAVE gone through and are still currently unemployed. I'm sure many of you have heard of the idea that everyone has a Bachelors these days. Many of my friends are in a position of limbo wondering about their future which I can imagine being pretty tough.

I'm not saying that people regard doctors "highly", but as a medical student I do recognize that I am in an extremely privileged position. One where I have a job waiting for me at the end of the my education that is extremely well paid and stable. On top of this, it's something that I am actually really excited and passionate for. As a friend, I think it's important for me to be sensitive to this kind of environment which is why I really prefer not to mention med-related things.

I'm not sure if you are a medical student, but a general consensus that most of my colleagues have agreed upon is that when people do find out you are a medical student they do see you in a different light. This might sound extremely niave and self-absorbed, but it's something that you will experience yourself once you do become a medical student.

Archived