Premed 101 Forums

Rant about life thread

thehockeykid

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*sigh* I hate people, who have NO education in nutrition, trying to tell me that my nutrition knowledge is "dated" and "wrong." Umm, excuse me, I'm STUDYING nutrition, and in my courses we read the latest peer-reviewed research in nutrition (most of my third and fourth year courses haven't had textbooks, just lots and lots of journal articles to read.)

No, it's not the latest nonsense that Dr. Oz or whomever else is spouting. But it is SCIENTIFIC! Evidence-based! So please don't go telling me that my thoughts on nutrition are "wrong," especially when you have NO training of any kind in nutrition.

And stop complaining about Canada's Food Guide. Please. Do some research into how the latest version of the Food Guide was actually developed before you go complaining about it. And PLEASE look at the directive statements. Those are an important part of the Food Guide. Also, look at a serving size before you go complaining about the amounts in the Guide. Also, please realize that RDs don't just blindly follow Canada's Food Guide (unless they are incredibly stupid and/or lazy). Canada's Food Guide is meant for those without nutrition education (ie. personal trainers, other health professionals). RDs should be using the latest practice-based evidence when making nutrition recommendations and designing nutrition interventions. I don't know a single RD who bases their practice on Canada's Food Guide. Instead, they use the RDIs.

Oh, and please stop going on and on about how "evil" wheat is and that everyone should eliminate gluten from their diet. There is no scientific research that indicates there is a problem with either whole grains or gluten, unless you have Celiac disease or other similar diseases or problems.

*sigh* I hate people, who have NO education in nutrition, trying to tell me that my nutrition knowledge is "dated" and "wrong." Umm, excuse me, I'm STUDYING nutrition, and in my courses we read the latest peer-reviewed research in nutrition (most of my third and fourth year courses haven't had textbooks, just lots and lots of journal articles to read.)

No, it's not the latest nonsense that Dr. Oz or whomever else is spouting. But it is SCIENTIFIC! Evidence-based! So please don't go telling me that my thoughts on nutrition are "wrong," especially when you have NO training of any kind in nutrition.

And stop complaining about Canada's Food Guide. Please. Do some research into how the latest version of the Food Guide was actually developed before you go complaining about it. And PLEASE look at the directive statements. Those are an important part of the Food Guide. Also, look at a serving size before you go complaining about the amounts in the Guide. Also, please realize that RDs don't just blindly follow Canada's Food Guide (unless they are incredibly stupid and/or lazy). Canada's Food Guide is meant for those without nutrition education (ie. personal trainers, other health professionals). RDs should be using the latest practice-based evidence when making nutrition recommendations and designing nutrition interventions. I don't know a single RD who bases their practice on Canada's Food Guide. Instead, they use the RDIs.

Oh, and please stop going on and on about how "evil" wheat is and that everyone should eliminate gluten from their diet. There is no scientific research that indicates there is a problem with either whole grains or gluten, unless you have Celiac disease or other similar diseases or problems.

YES. Such a good rant. Thank you for that :D.

Bah. I just have to walk away from people who think "all carbs are evil." *sigh* It's like a cult - there is no reasoning with them. There's no point in wasting my time talking to them.

(Oh and a Tim Horton's bagel is not one or two grain servings - it is FOUR grain servings.)

I actually have been rather amused by them. I've lose 40lbs since September (as of yesterday.) People are absolutely shocked that I haven't cut out carbs, am not following a diet, and don't count calories. I don't have any nutrition training, but I do know that this 'gluten is poison!' trend is ridiculous and that carbs aren't evil and are in fact a part of a healthy, balanced diet. A little research that isn't from a sensationalist diet-du-jour publication will tell you that...

I sold my friggin soul to study for my latest wave of midterms. Only to find out I got low 70s on half of it. Got one more coming back tmr and am SO scared. **** I HATE school! I'm doing another undergrad after I graduate this year and I will seriously have a mental breakdown if it doesn't get better by then.

Maybe I'm just a really really really stupid person. How else can I explain how I managed to get that grade when I studied and studied and studied?? I swear to god it BETTER be because the school is hard, because I don't think I can take any more of this. I'm leaving this ****ing school in 6 months and am NEVER COMING BACK! If I ever make it as a doctor, I will NEVER donate a single cent to this stupid place.

Seriously though, I'm SO SO SO scared that I will still get crappy grades when I go to another school. OMG if I still keep on getting crappy grades when I spend >70hours studying for one test, I will probably just give up on life because there's no point of trying if I'm THAT stupid.

My performance on two midterms was not up to my usual standard (89% and 90.83% in biology and chemistry, respectively.) My stats midterm was perfect but I had points taken off for not doing something he didn't ask. It said 'describe the shape of the distribution.' I wrote that the distribution was right-skewed, which was correct. He took points off because I didn't compare the interquartile ranges, which was NOT part of the question. It felt like I lost points just so he wouldn't have to give 100% on a midterm.

Turns out I can't dissect. :( The specimens they use are injected with latex. My allergy is so severe I can't be in the room with that much of it, and the school won't buy me a non-injected rat to dissect separately. This allergy is a pain in the ass, I've had it most of my life, and the lab coordinator tried to tell me that I don't have a latex allergy because they are only contact based, which is wrong. I have a type 1 allergy which can - and has been - triggered just by some in the air. Really disappointed. I wanted to cut and now all I'll have is videos.

My performance on two midterms was not up to my usual standard (89% and 90.83% in biology and chemistry, respectively.) My stats midterm was perfect but I had points taken off for not doing something he didn't ask. It said 'describe the shape of the distribution.' I wrote that the distribution was right-skewed, which was correct. He took points off because I didn't compare the interquartile ranges, which was NOT part of the question. It felt like I lost points just so he wouldn't have to give 100% on a midterm.

Turns out I can't dissect. :( The specimens they use are injected with latex. My allergy is so severe I can't be in the room with that much of it, and the school won't buy me a non-injected rat to dissect separately. This allergy is a pain in the ass, I've had it most of my life, and the lab coordinator tried to tell me that I don't have a latex allergy because they are only contact based, which is wrong. I have a type 1 allergy which can - and has been - triggered just by some in the air. Really disappointed. I wanted to cut and now all I'll have is videos.

that sucks! sorry to hear, I have also had professors take points off because of stupid stuff that was not asked etc. My brain does not work the same as others and I have been punished in the marks department because of it. Had a hard time in high school when I could come to results faster than the teacher and without showing work. I was a failing student then, clearly I couldn't do that..:mad: I have fought for little marks before, not going to lie. :D

can you just buy your own rat? They aren't that much really.

• 2 weeks later...

Man how I would love to punch the sh!t out of the doctors in the hospital that are treating my father in law.

the "I'm the doctor and I know what I am doing" statement is getting pretty old, especially when they don't listen to the people who know the patient the best and thus have very important observational information that a Dr doesn't have and no lab report can tell them but yes, please do continue to tell us how you're the doctor and know what you're doing.

If I hear that statement one more time I think I'll grab a scalpel and stab the prick. That'll learn him. No jury of my peers would ever convict me for no doubt every one of them have heard that statement more than once before.

Man how I would love to punch the sh!t out of the doctors in the hospital that are treating my father in law.

the "I'm the doctor and I know what I am doing" statement is getting pretty old, especially when they don't listen to the people who know the patient the best and thus have very important observational information that a Dr doesn't have and no lab report can tell them but yes, please do continue to tell us how you're the doctor and know what you're doing.

If I hear that statement one more time I think I'll grab a scalpel and stab the prick. That'll learn him. No jury of my peers would ever convict me for no doubt every one of them have heard that statement more than once before.

Lol has anyone else noticed Aaron's tendency to get more homicidal as the end of the semester approacheth?

Archived