Premed 101 Forums

Lines of Credit for Medical Students (Scotia is the best option)

You make a good point, truly doesn't matter at the end of the day... majority of these big bank LOC packages are basically the same. Unless your planning to max out your 5 or 10k card every month, you may have enough points for a flight to NY after 3 years.. if that lol.

I don't know. I just have the passport visa gold (no Amex) and I have 400 bucks worth of points after less than a year.

You just pay for everything on your credit card then pay it off in full every month. Why would you not do this?

I don't know. I just have the passport visa gold (no Amex) and I have 400 bucks worth of points after less than a year.

You just pay for everything on your credit card then pay it off in full every month. Why would you not do this?

It makes sense if you don't change your spending habits and put any normal expenses on the card. If you're the kind of person that spends money more easily it would just make more sense to spend smart (saving $40-$50 a month can get you more than what those points can in a year). Just my perspective. 

It makes sense if you don't change your spending habits and put any normal expenses on the card. If you're the kind of person that spends money more easily it would just make more sense to spend smart (saving $40-$50 a month can get you more than what those points can in a year). Just my perspective.

But... You are spending money you don't have whether on the LOC or the card. I'm not sure why paying with a credit card rather than a debit card would change anything about your spending habits.

Lol @ how the bank agent is all smiles and pushy and answers emails in 3 seconds while trying to sell you, and then takes 2 days to respond to emails as soon as you've been approved for the loan. 

I hate peopleeee :) :)

You will learn the better agents from the not so good ones - this a long term arrangement :)

RBC seems to be a little more strict than Scotiabank in my experience (downtown Toronto). RBC med student advisor wouldn't budge on the card (Avion fees waved for only 1 year).

yeah I would agree - depends on how much corporate control I guess is being used to keep everything in line

guess they are counting on people not moving around. The fee on that card is not insignificant.

Seemed to be standard procedure for all RBCs, according to the Hamilton advisor I spoke with. At least the Avion card offered is, but I only got offered fees waived for 1st year. 

They'd only waive my avion card's fee for 6 months... they wouldn't even waive a signature account's fees for me 

I went with Scotia over RBC mainly due to all of RBC's fees and the inconvenience of having to pay interest every month myself rather than having it automatically added to my LOC balance (which isn't a minor inconvenience when you consider that any missed payments during the busy med school schedule can really screw up your credit).

It's odd that in such a competitive market, RBC still charges so many fees when their competition doesn't and hasn't for such a long time.

I went with Scotia over RBC mainly due to all of RBC's fees and the inconvenience of having to pay interest every month myself rather than having it automatically added to my LOC balance (which isn't a minor inconvenience when you consider that any missed payments during the busy med school schedule can really screw up your credit).

It's odd that in such a competitive market, RBC still charges so many fees when their competition doesn't and hasn't for such a long time.

What kind of fees are you talking about if I may ask?

what kinda fees you mean?, I went with RBC and they didn't charge me anything. My advisor is super nice and awesome.

what kinda fees you mean?, I went with RBC and they didn't charge me anything. My advisor is super nice and awesome.

My advisor told me they would charge me yearly for the Avion card (except for the first year) and then she told me about fees charged for the account unless I signed up for the student bank account with them (I bank with Scotia so I didn't like feeling forced to switch my banking to RBC to avoid fees). That coupled with the way they treat interest payments was enough to drive me away from RBC.

Nothing against my advisor whom I thought was very pleasant. I just didn't like the fees they kept throwing around.

I hated that interest every month thing to the cheqing account - small detail but big pain to remember to move some random amount over each month. Edited by rmorelan

Which branch?

The one at Place Ste-Foy in Quebec City.

I don't know what are the fees others are saying they can't get waived at RBC because I got the Infinite Avion Visa and the VIP package with all the fees waived.

The one at Place Ste-Foy in Quebec City.

I don't know what are the fees others are saying they can't get waived at RBC because I got the Infinite Avion Visa and the VIP package with all the fees waived.

Yeah that is more rare, but for other fees, if you get a student banking account with them you will get a minimum of zero fees plus a free VISA rewards card (just not avion, you have to negotiate for that). I didn't even shop around because all my banking was already with them and they gave me everything I wanted for my LOC immediately. As for interest payments, I never let our main chequing account go below about $1000 - 1500 to cover automatic bills and the interest is just taken off this each month automatically...no big deal for me. 

with RBC, if you get the VIP package they'll waive the infinite Avion fees, I compared the cards and feel that Scotia's momentum infinite gives you more $$ in your pocket with their 4% cashback on Gas and groceries and 2% on pharmacy. So if you look at the fees, even if scotia charges for their infinite momentum, it would be 99$ and RBC would be 125 with VIP banking.