Premed 101 Forums

Mmi Reaction Thread

I did have one interviewer that seemed unimpressed from the second I opened the door, but that might have been because they were trying to appear straight-faced. All my other interviewers were great, and engaged with facial expressions at the very least. 

This wait is way harder than I thought. I figured I would be able to put it out of my mind since now there's nothing I can do, but that's harder said than done. And it's only a few days after the second round...

I did have one interviewer that seemed unimpressed from the second I opened the door, but that might have been because they were trying to appear straight-faced. All my other interviewers were great, and engaged with facial expressions at the very least.

This wait is way harder than I thought. I figured I would be able to put it out of my mind since now there's nothing I can do, but that's harder said than done. And it's only a few days after the second round...

What time slot did you guys choose?

I know UBC tries to be fair, but part of the uncertainty in MMI score comes from interviewers mood

What time slot did you guys choose?

I know UBC tries to be fair, but part of the uncertainty in MMI score comes from interviewers mood

Were you Feb 14th afternoon by any chance? Definitely had an interviewer who was super stone-faced.. totally threw me off on that station

Is it looked down upon if you summarize the prompt by actually looking at it inside the room and in front if the interviewer?

I think it's unlikely most interviewers would care very much, as long as you still made some eye contact and were personable. I actually never understood why people summarize the scenario, though I know it's very popular. Is it just because it's a nice way to start talking and get the conversation going? (I.e. less abrupt than just jumping into your solution?)

I think it's unlikely most interviewers would care very much, as long as you still made some eye contact and were personable. I actually never understood why people summarize the scenario, though I know it's very popular. Is it just because it's a nice way to start talking and get the conversation going? (I.e. less abrupt than just jumping into your solution?)

Yeah I gave up on summarizing very quickly, it seems forced and unnatural, almost stiffens up the conversation.

As for my reaction, definitely not my best work. But then again, I was waitlisted at NYU after their MMI and I thought that was a catastrophic failure... a testament to how self-appraisals of how it went are a little useless.

I always find that summarizing the prompt at the beginning gives you a few precious seconds to organize your answers and give it a good start. 

I'd advise against re-reading the prompt.

The interviewer knows the question very well, and certainly doesn't need it read back to him/her. 

More importantly, by reading the question aloud, you waste precious time that could be spent answering the question. This approach can also end up sounding over-rehearsed/formulaic, which isn't a good thing.

I'd advise against re-reading the prompt.

The interviewer knows the question very well, and certainly doesn't need it read back to him/her. 

More importantly, by reading the question aloud, you waste precious time that could be spent answering the question. This approach can also end up sounding over-rehearsed/formulaic, which isn't a good thing.

Agreed from my end, and even if the time itself isn't as necessary to complete your answer, those 30 seconds may have allowed the interviewer to get to a follow-up prompt that deepens your answer or allows you to naturally insert a personal anecdote or provide some introspection.

Agreed from my end, and even if the time itself isn't as necessary to complete your answer, those 30 seconds may have allowed the interviewer to get to a follow-up prompt that deepens your answer or allows you to naturally insert a personal anecdote or provide some introspection.

Well obviously summarizing the prompt is not the same as re-reading the entire thing, I can summarize a long prompt in 10-15 seconds and still finish answering all the questions in a non-rehearsed way. However, that's my style, cant speak for everyone :).

I think you should do what feels natural to you. If you think your best response is by initiating with a summary of the question, then go ahead and do so; there is nothing wrong with that. However, if you really feel it is not necessary, then it's probably not.

It's very circumstantial, too -- if the question is pretty simple, then maybe reiterating it won't help. If, instead, there are a lot of details and you feel you should maybe do a summary, then summarize the underlying issue(s). And if at any time you feel like you're not understanding a key part to the question, feel free to ask your interviewer; it is not wrong to correct your thinking process, but it would be bad to continue with a feeling of uncertainty, especially if it's about a key point.

I see where other posters are coming from and agree, but there has been stories of people completely misinterpreting the question and have been corrected.

This has happened to me in an mmi before. I went into the station and reiterated what I thought the question was, but the interviewer corrected me as I had mistakenly misread a simple part of the question. Luckily I was able to salvage the answer, but from that point on I have always made sure to reiterate the question at least briefly in order to avoid a similar mistake in all my future interviews

This has happened to me in an mmi before. I went into the station and reiterated what I thought the question was, but the interviewer corrected me as I had mistakenly misread a simple part of the question. Luckily I was able to salvage the answer, but from that point on I have always made sure to reiterate the question at least briefly in order to avoid a similar mistake in all my future interviews

Good to know

Archived