Premed 101 Forums

Thank you so much for giving a good advice! It was really helpful I'll definitely consider this! :D

Make sure you listen to the horror stories too. I feel like those are probably more common than the romanticized "IMG grad who matched at all". I think Ghostalker discussed this well.

Also, I'd like to mention that I'm still in Canada, in case you think I left the country to be with family. My family lives in the country.

Also consider the acceptance rate to medical school in Canada is quite low. If it was as easy as you think to leave and come back, don't you think that would be a more popular route for students who have been rejected from Canadian medical schools? Yet, many decide on alternative career paths and that isn't because they would be homesick.

Just think before you act. As a first year undergraduate student, you are still quite young (18ish?). The average age of most first year medical classes is 22-24. There is a lot of maturing that is done during those 4-6 years and one of those qualities is learning to evaluate situations and consider the experiences of others. Not brushing them off if they don't agree/match with what you think.

Also, my "running away" comment was in response to your currently poor grades. I understand that there are many factors involved in this decision, but one of your main questions was whether to finish your current year or drop out, indicating that there are some underlying learning strategies that might need to be further explored.

I realize this is purely anecdotal, but I actually work with someone who was a doctor in Pakistan, and was unable to become licensed to work in Canada.  He now works as an ultrasound tech.  It sounds like you're aware of the fact that you may not be able to come back to work in Canada easily, so if this is something you fully understand and are comfortable with, go for it.  

Best of luck! :)

I realize this is purely anecdotal, but I actually work with someone who was a doctor in Pakistan, and was unable to become licensed to work in Canada.  He now works as an ultrasound tech.  It sounds like you're aware of the fact that you may not be able to come back to work in Canada easily, so if this is something you fully understand and are comfortable with, go for it.  

Best of luck! :)

that seems pretty common - because I am a rad resident I run into that quite a bit. About 1/2 of the ultrasound staff it seems are doctors from other countries (Russia, India, Pakistan seem to be the most common). Ha, when I started call they knew clinical medicine better than any of the residents involved in the case and of course with a doctor's level understanding of anatomy they had a big advantage in ultrasound as well.

I still address them as Dr. (----) when interacting with them out of respect for their training. I have helped a few of them with their children's medical school applications (sacrifices of the parents to give their children a better chance. That as well demands respect).

I guess in terms of relocating US has a lot of advantages - short training time relatively speaking, mobility, still medical, and pretty good pay.  

Unless you also have really good French, I wouldn't suggest the Quebec route.  McGill only accepts Saudi IMGs from what I understand.  Conversational French can be improved - but really being able to function completely in a French environment takes much longer (reading, writing, conversation, etc..).  In fact, it's one of the reasons why there are few non-Quebecer CMG physicians  practicing in Quebec.  For most IMGs (non-francophone), the US is a much more solid route.  

From my limited experience of what I've experienced - developing full proficiency in a new language (depending on initial fluency) > MLE > MCAT.  But, that's only my opinion!    

I know McGill doesn't just accept Saudis, I know a non-Saudi IMG that matched to McGill this year, but i don't recommend the French route either because of the difficulty and in general needing to know French, but a lot of the unfilled positions are in Quebec, so it is something to consider. 

I have to say one thing about this forum in general, not referring to you specifically at all but please don't say things you aren't actually sure about. A lot of misinformation is spread about IMGs that isn't true and often this is coming from people who do not actually know much about the IMG process. 

Things like not being able to apply in first iteration just aren't true. There are specially designated CMG spots and IMG spots in English Canada in first iteration and any leftovers go in a general pool for second iteration. 

I know McGill doesn't just accept Saudis, I know a non-Saudi IMG that matched to McGill this year, but i don't recommend the French route either because of the difficulty and in general needing to know French, but a lot of the unfilled positions are in Quebec, so it is something to consider.

I have to say one thing about this forum in general, not referring to you specifically at all but please don't say things you aren't actually sure about. A lot of misinformation is spread about IMGs that isn't true and often this is coming from people who do not actually know much about the IMG process.

Things like not being able to apply in first iteration just aren't true. There are specially designated CMG spots and IMG spots in English Canada in first iteration and any leftovers go in a general pool for second iteration.

Sure - fair criticism. I was using information given by a friend, which is how rumours can get started. I know McGill has a reentry route for IMGs with an accelerated MD program though - suggesting that the IMG options within Quebec aren't that favourable. The spots that are left in Quebec are overwhelmingly rural and family; for many IMGs, English is usually a much stronger second (or first) language.

Archived