Premed 101 Forums

How many attempts did you need to get into medical school?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. How many attempts did you need to get into medical school?

• 6+

I feel like a poll like this may be biased - it seems to me that people for whom it took fewer attempts would be more likely to respond than those for whom it took many (even if it is anonymous).  Which I don't say to dissuade you from having it - I like the idea - but so that no one gets discouraged as a result of statistics.

And I mean, I got in on my first attempt to the only place I applied, BUT saying that it took me one attempt doesn't reveal that there were seven years of undergraduate-level university before that attempt. So there's a grain of salt to be taken there as well.

I feel like a poll like this may be biased - it seems to me that people for whom it took fewer attempts would be more likely to respond than those for whom it took many (even if it is anonymous).  Which I don't say to dissuade you from having it - I like the idea - but so that no one gets discouraged as a result of statistics.

And I mean, I got in on my first attempt to the only place I applied, BUT saying that it took me one attempt doesn't reveal that there were seven years of undergraduate-level university before that attempt. So there's a grain of salt to be taken there as well.

I still go by the average posted by the CMA of 2.6. 

To add another layer of bias, this forum isn't exactly a representative sample of all medical applicants. Individuals browsing this forum are likely to be much keener than the average applicant.

I don't think it is useful to compare yourself with other people: some people have very low GPA and it takes them several trials to get an interview, but once they do get an interview they get in.

Others, may get interviews, but are unable to get an offer due to a weak interview performance.

Others, may also get several interviews but they are finding it difficult to score above a certain threshold in the interview.

tldr; do NOT compare yourself to others; each one of us has their own unique journey to medical school. 

Outside of the obvious statistical confounders, I personally find these threads to be very depressing....

Does a significant change in the average number of attempts before matriculation in medical school stop those from applying if they weren't successful? 

At the end of the day... regardless of the number, all it really does is make people who haven't gotten in more depressed that they will most likely approach or be above the national average number of attempts before matriculation. 

Regardless of the average... whether or not it has significantly changed... if you want to do medicine you'll just have to keep applying until you get in. That's just the bottom line. 

- G 

My understanding is that the 2.6 refers to the average number of applications per applicant per year - I believe ralk might have mentioned this at one point.  By glancing at age & degree distribution of most admits, this seems to make sense too.  

But I do agree that comparing oneself strictly on these terms is not really that helpful or much of an indicator, unless there is some sort of broader trend or advice that can be gathered for future applicants.  

My understanding is that the 2.6 refers to the average number of applications per applicant per year - I believe ralk might have mentioned this at one point.  By glancing at age & degree distribution of most admits, this seems to make sense too.  

But I do agree that comparing oneself strictly on these terms is not really that helpful or much of an indicator, unless there is some sort of broader trend or advice that can be gathered for future applicants.  

Hmm I will have to check - that quote was from a speech done by the CMA president 5 years ago (ha, old data). It was for Canada as a whole rather than just one province. 

On the face of things it would be hard to tell - about 15% of applicants get in for a particular year for Ontario for instance - suggesting a large volume would be around for round two etc as well. 

Hmm I will have to check - that quote was from a speech done by the CMA president 5 years ago (ha, old data). It was for Canada as a whole rather than just one province. 

On the face of things it would be hard to tell - about 15% of applicants get in for a particular year for Ontario for instance - suggesting a large volume would be around for round two etc as well. 

I agree it's hard to check and verify these stats.  When I glimpsed quickly at the AFMC stats earlier (and from what I remembered), the overall average number of applications per citizen (per year) is 2.8 (but 3.5 for matriculants). (Table 91ab).

In Ontario, Mac, which is considered more non-trad friendly, gives a breakdown of ages - roughly 2/3 of admits would be <=22 so I would suppose on first or second application.

In Quebec, the number would skew quite a bit lower.  Except at Sherbrooke, the majority are direct CEGEP admits.   

I agree it's hard to check and verify these stats.  When I glimpsed quickly at the AFMC stats earlier (and from what I remembered), the overall average number of applications per citizen (per year) is 2.8 (but 3.5 for matriculants). (Table 91ab).

In Ontario, Mac, which is considered more non-trad friendly, gives a breakdown of ages - roughly 2/3 of admits would be <=22 so I would suppose on first or second application.

In Quebec, the number would skew quite a bit lower.  Except at Sherbrooke, the majority are direct CEGEP admits.   

I don't think Mac deserves a "non-trad reputation" anymore

There are I suspect just as many older folks in our class as there are in other classes. And the admission formula doesn't take into account resume/other life accomplishments which is what would help non-trads most. There is also no GPA forgiveness. 

I don't think Mac deserves a "non-trad reputation" anymore

There are I suspect just as many older folks in our class as there are in other classes. And the admission formula doesn't take into account resume/other life accomplishments which is what would help non-trads most. There is also no GPA forgiveness. 

Yeah - within Ontario?  UofT looks like it admits a sizeable number of grad students (roughly 25%), but aside from them I don't think there are too many older folks in Ontario med schools.  The Queen's class was roughly 75% Bachelor's admits for instance.  

UBC is definitely the ultimate non-trad school, but I think it has a fairly unique admissions procedure within Canada.  

Edit: Mac allows in a much wider range of GPAs, even though there's no forgiveness.  UofO and UofT lean very heavily on higher GPAs - which given the fact GPAs are always rising would make them less non-trad friendly.  

Exactly. I didn't apply until I felt I was competitive. I had to do two additional undergraduate years and write the MCAT three times. That wouldn't necessarily be something that is conveyed when the statistic only says "someone who applied twice before getting in". 

That number is commonly quoted (both the CMA and CaRMS have used it), but as calcan notes, it's wrong. That figure refers to the average number of schools an applicant applies to each year (most recent figure is about 2.8), not the average number of cycles per admitted applicant.

The AFMC stopped publishing this data, but if I remember correctly, that stat was no higher than 1.7 cycles on average for an admitted applicant, with a decent majority getting in on their first cycle. This number is about a decade out of date, however.

2 hours ago, Jess85 said:

I think the average age of first year med students has been going up slowly.

I would have to agree to that!

However, I also know 2 students who are currently 19 years old who got into two different med school this year. One at the U of T and the other at the U of M.

I still can't believe that they got in on their first attempt and I'm not going to lie, I envy them a little but I'm also quite proud of them! 

15 hours ago, confuse-pre-med said:

I would have to agree to that!

However, I also know 2 students who are currently 19 years old who got into two different med school this year. One at the U of T and the other at the U of M.

I still can't believe that they got in on their first attempt and I'm not going to lie, I envy them a little but I'm also quite proud of them! 

Were they born in December + had AP/IB transfer credits from high school + skipped a grade in elementary school + took summer courses?

3 hours ago, cw2lu4 said:

Were they born in December + had AP/IB transfer credits from high school + skipped a grade in elementary school + took summer courses?

I'm not sure when their birthday is but I'm assuming that its sometime late in the year since they are still currently 19. And, YES! I talked to one of them and he said that he had the AP/IB transfer credits from high school, I'm not sure about skipping the grade part but I believe that they also took summer courses since they only did the 3 yrs general science degree.

Archived