Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Started the morning off on the waitlist then at 4 this afternoon was offered a spot!

Result - Waitlisted (1st Quartile), then offer to Regina Campus (1st choice)

GPA - 92%

MCAT - 505

Location - IP

First time applicant.

Interview - thought it went well, but it was my only interview so nothing to compare it to.

Never thought I would get in this soon off the waitlist (honestly didn’t think I would at all!) so don’t give up hope!

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

Started the morning off on the waitlist then at 4 this afternoon was offered a spot!

Result - Waitlisted (1st Quartile), then offer to Regina Campus (1st choice)

GPA - 92%

MCAT - 505

Location - IP

First time applicant.

Interview - thought it went well, but it was my only interview so nothing to compare it to.

Never thought I would get in this soon off the waitlist (honestly didn’t think I would at all!) so don’t give up hope!

Congrats!!! Did they call you or email you?

Result: Accepted (Saskatoon Site)

GPA: 92.3%

MCAT Score: 514

Degree: Graduated May 2021

Interview: Retrospectively it went alright! The first station I literally forgot my ID, and had to scramble and go get it. One station I called the interviewer the wrong name lol. This shows that one station does not define how you do on an interview, rather it's the whole interview that matters. I practiced with two groups of students from December to March! 

Will be accepting and look forward to meeting you all! 

Result: Accepted (Regina)

GPA: 87 (3.79)

MCAT: 504

Degree: BSc (Hons), graduating in June

Interview: I felt good throughout, even though 2/6 could have been better in retrospect.

After seeing other peoples stats I'm a bit stumped. I suppose the beauty of Usask is that they look for people across board. This was my first time applying and I was terrified of rejection at every step. In the interview - don't let any perceived bad performances get to you, clear your mind, be in the moment.

All the best to you future physicians, don't give up.

Result: Rejection 

GPA: low 80's 

MCAT 500 

Degree: BSc (Hons), MBA - Finishing in August 

Interview: I stumbled in the first and last stations but I thought the other ones felt ok. Preparing for the interviews, I definitely messed up and felt really burnt out the weeks leading up to the interview, mainly because my MMI partner wanted to practice everyday since January and then I didn't practice for 2 weeks prior to the interview. 

I'm not surprised that I was rejected but it still stings. This is my second time applying and I was hoping that my GPA would be better which I am not sure how they would calculate mine since I took a year to complete a second undergraduate degree, then was told I wouldn't get the degree because I took the wrong elective. Then this year during the application cycle I started the MBA program so I could boost my GPA to which I am not sure how they would include everything. 

I will be applying again this year but I am not sure what I should change/what would be worth changing. I wrote my MCAT in June 2018 so it is still valid but do I risk writing it again in the summer in the hopes of that increasing? I don't think I could go back to school again to try to increase my GPA for another year (as tuition is increasing, I am literally drowning in student debt). 

I would love some feedback or shared experiences. 

Thank you and good luck and congrats to those who are on the waitlist or accepted! 

23 hours ago, AAA9 said:

MCAT 500 

Interview: I stumbled in the first and last stations but I thought the other ones felt ok. Preparing for the interviews, I definitely messed up and felt really burnt out the weeks leading up to the interview, mainly because my MMI partner wanted to practice everyday since January and then I didn't practice for 2 weeks prior to the interview. 

I'm not surprised that I was rejected but it still stings. This is my second time applying and I was hoping that my GPA would be better which I am not sure how they would calculate mine since I took a year to complete a second undergraduate degree, then was told I wouldn't get the degree because I took the wrong elective. Then this year during the application cycle I started the MBA program so I could boost my GPA to which I am not sure how they would include everything. 

I will be applying again this year but I am not sure what I should change/what would be worth changing. I wrote my MCAT in June 2018 so it is still valid but do I risk writing it again in the summer in the hopes of that increasing? I don't think I could go back to school again to try to increase my GPA for another year (as tuition is increasing, I am literally drowning in student debt). 

Thank you and good luck and congrats to those who are on the waitlist or accepted! 

I would try rewriting the MCAT. But this is coming from someone who hasn’t gone through this process yet. The average seems to be higher than 500 for those admitted.

But I just wanted to say that I feel a similar frustration towards not really knowing what your calculated average is going into. I wish there was a way to confirm what the calculated average they end up using! It’s difficult for those who have a more “complicated” calculation with several degrees, etc.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:30 AM, AAA9 said:

MCAT 500 

I think improving your MCAT score is your best bet too. As you said, improving your GPA would require going back to school, and it is generally a long process. Preparing and writing the MCAT for a better score could be a matter of a few months. A strong score could help offset your lower GPA. I rewrote my MCAT and went from a 503 to a 514, so have confidence you can make large improvements as well if you are diligent with your studying. There is some luck involved with the MCAT to some degree (like what topics you get), so you really have to study up if you want to guarantee yourself a solid score. 

With that being said, the interview is still worth the most in the application process so you should prep as much as you can for it. With a solid MCAT score though, your application will be in a much better spot. If you are serious about getting into medicine, I think you will be able to achieve it! Best of luck! 

MCAT 500 

I would also request your CASPer score from Altus. I was able to do so through CaRMS as Altus has to share the score breakdown with programs that are using the SDTs. I believe there is also transparency legislation requiring them to disclose something at least - could check the Ontario acts for freedom of information. 

I’m a 2021 grad and can say that the MCAT is completely useless as a predictor of how well one can do at USask Med. 

51 minutes ago, PGYTired said:

I would also request your CASPer score from Altus. I was able to do so through CaRMS as Altus has to share the score breakdown with programs that are using the SDTs. I believe there is also transparency legislation requiring them to disclose something at least - could check the Ontario acts for freedom of information. 

I’m a 2021 grad and can say that the MCAT is completely useless as a predictor of how well one can do at USask Med. 

UofS doesn't use CASPer aggressively for admissions. They only use it as a cutoff to rule out candidates who are two standard deviations below the mean or have red flags for the interview. If CASPer scores have a normal distribution, that's the bottom two percent of applicants. Since this applicant got an interview, they clearly passed the cutoff. Not sure if improving CASPer would help that much since it's not actually used for calculating the admissions score at USask.

As someone else already said, the quickest and most feasible way for this person to boost their chances would be to retake the MCAT and improve that 500. It's still worth 40 percent of the pre-interview score and 20 percent of the post-interview score.

Also I imagine you requested your CASPer score from CaRMS rather than directly from Altus. Altus won't give up this information so easily. Additionally, Altus is to tell people their CASPer quartile from this year's cycle onwards.

On 5/14/2021 at 8:29 PM, zoxy said:

Not necessarily. But you'd need either a good MCAT or a good interview to make up for it. GPA is worth 60 percent of the pre-interview score and 30 percent of the post interview score. MCAT is 40 percent pre-interview and 20 percent post interview. Interview is worth 50 percent.

If want to look at how they go about things, page 10-12 of the admission manual and the overall admission statistics should give you a good idea (assuming you understand z-scores).

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/admissions-statistics-5-year-summary.pdf

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/saskatchewan-resident-applicant-information.pdf

My MMI was beyond good though.

MCAT 500 

Us and another dude in this thread are in the same boat, keep in touch over DMs.

MCAT 500 

I am in a very similar position. I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to improve my application. I don't know if I should rewrite the MCAT, because I fear it would go down. I'm considering going back to school to increase my average, but thats a huge time and money commitment. Let me know if you want someone to bounce some ideas off of. 

11 hours ago, RoninCDN said:

Us and another dude in this thread are in the same boat, keep in touch over DMs.

Can we start a support group for people like us? I'm hoping to connect with some people for this next cycle. 

I'm confused about the Wait-list email. Can anybody clarify? It says:

"The Admissions Office will provide applicants on the wait-list with weekly updates regarding the status of the wait-list and which quartile offers are being made in."

Does this mean that people that are currently waitlisted won't see any movement until this Friday?

Also, does anybody know when the deadline to accept is? I saw an older post that had an IP applicant getting off the waitlist as late as July 13, but that's an extreme. Most were by June 4/5, it seemed.

1 hour ago, YankyYeet said:

I'm confused about the Wait-list email. Can anybody clarify? It says:

"The Admissions Office will provide applicants on the wait-list with weekly updates regarding the status of the wait-list and which quartile offers are being made in."

Does this mean that people that are currently waitlisted won't see any movement until this Friday?

Also, does anybody know when the deadline to accept is? I saw an older post that had an IP applicant getting off the waitlist as late as July 13, but that's an extreme. Most were by June 4/5, it seemed.

I don't think that's what it means. They meant that they will send a weekly email telling you how many people have accepted a spot, how many empty spots they still have left for your stream, and which quartile of the wait list they're currently making offers to.

Last year on the OOP wait-list we got a single email on the 27th, 12 days after the decision on Friday the 15th, saying that only one spot was filled and they were making offers in the 1st quartile of the OOP wait-list. That was it until final rejection emails in early July. I don't know whether they sent the weekly emails they promised to the IP wait-list last year. We certainly didn't get them in the OOP wait-list.

Also if you have more questions about the wait-list, please take it to the 2021 wait-list thread. We don't want to clutter these accepted/rejected/waitlisted threads too much.

MCAT 500 

which second degree did you do? which program? 

On 5/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, HowlerMD said:

Result - Waitlisted (1st quartile)

GPA - 86-88 range

MCAT - 511

Location - IP

Degree - Graduating this year 

Interview - So subjective so hard to tell how you really do. Felt 2 went great, 2 were good and 2 were meh.

Congrats and good luck to everyone! Will be keeping a close eye on here and the other forums as this anxious grind of another waiting period begins... 

Time stamp of 2:33 got off the waitlist! Excited to meet my fellow classmates as well as good luck to my fellow waitlisters. Hang in there!

• 3 months later...

I never thought I would post in this forum, however as the new admission cycle rolls around, I want to share my story and hopefully inspire those of you still trying. 

Result - Accepted in June. Waitlisted (1st Quartile), then offer to Regina Campus (2nd choice).

GPA - 83%

MCAT - 503 

Location - IP

Second time applicant - 2nd quartile last year (20')

Now, you are probably looking at my stats and thinking HOW. Well I want to share that with you. After completing 2 admissions cycles, I have learned a few things that I hope helps you.

1. The interview is the MOST important part of the whole process. Overlooked to some, MMIs give you the chance to show case who you are as a person - your hobbies, your interests, your passions, your volunteering experiences and the reason why you believe a career in medicine is the right one for you.  It is chance to be personable, make connections with your interviewer, and prove you are a great communicator (an important skills for healthcare providers). The key is to practice and start practicing early (ie. Sept/October for March interview). In my option, you can tell who has been prepping for 8 months versus 3. It shows in the way you carry yourself, how you analyze the questions and how you reiterate your points.

2. Practice MMIs with people in all aspects of your life - family, non-pre med friends, next door neighbours and pre-meds. People outside of the pre-med world can provided you with different views on issues, which can help when you are answers later.

3. BE YOURSELF - Answer how you feel. The mistake I made the first time around was telling the interviewer what I thought they wanted to hear in the interview, not what I thought. 

4. Include as MUCH personal experiences into your answers as possible. They are genuine and they stand out - remember your interviewer is listening to pre-meds all day. Make yourself unique so you can stand out.  

5. Take everything on this forum with a grain of salt - that means admissions stats. You are NOT your Mcat score, or your GPA. Do not be intimidated!!! 

With that, I wish you the best of luck. And please please please do not give up. Because those who fail and get back up are so much stronger than those who have never failed. 

• 7 months later...

Result: Accepted (Saskatoon - 1st choice)

GPA: 94.2%

MCAT: 516

Degree: Graduating next month (BSc)

Interview: Settled nerves very quickly at the first station and carried the momentum throughout the remainder which felt very good. The last station was a bit meh but still managed I believe.