Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result - Accepted (Saskatoon)

GPA - 90

MCAT - 514

Location - IP

Degree - Graduating this year (physpharm)

Interview - I think pretty solid on all stations. Only felt a bit stumped on 1 follow up question.

Congrats to everyone on their successes!

1 hour ago, RoninCDN said:

Result - Rejected. Not even Waitlisted.

GPA - 79.91

MCAT - 503

Degree - 4th Year of Undergrad

Interview - I was exceptionally well on 5/6 and meh on one of them

I'm actually upset because my CARS and MMI were very strong compared to my peers. They gave me no reason for why I was rejected but I'm banking on it being my GPA. How much do I need to raise my GPA before I have a better shot?

I’m in the same boat. I was expecting to at least be waitlisted. So disappointing. 

GPA - 81.5

MCAT - 507

degree - 4th year UG

interview - half the stations were great, other half were good 

1 minute ago, Kerrdy said:

GPA - 81.5

MCAT - 507

degree - 4th year UG

Is that your GPA as of right now or your GPA after the Fall term? My current GPA is 80.5 but they dont count the Winter term.

1 hour ago, RoninCDN said:

I'm actually upset because my CARS and MMI were very strong compared to my peers.

Did they provide MMI grades in the rejection emails this year? Also beyond having individual section minimums, USask uses total MCAT for calculating admissions scores. I don't think having a high or low CARS is a factor. 

Just wondering if anyone knows how location status works for those accepted - I was given Regina (my second choice). If a spot opens in Saskatoon is an already accepted applicant placed there if that’s the site they chose or does it automatically go to the wait list (I hope this makes sense) thanks for the advice in advance :)

35 minutes ago, Kerrdy said:

I’m in the same boat. I was expecting to at least be waitlisted. So disappointing. 

GPA - 81.5

MCAT - 507

degree - 4th year UG

Did you get the rejection letter today or back in March? I didn’t actually think they would reject more people after the initial rejection letters were sent out.

Result - Waitlisted (1st quartile)

GPA - 86-88 range

MCAT - 511

Location - IP

Degree - Graduating this year 

Interview - So subjective so hard to tell how you really do. Felt 2 went great, 2 were good and 2 were meh.

Congrats and good luck to everyone! Will be keeping a close eye on here and the other forums as this anxious grind of another waiting period begins... 

48 minutes ago, MedWarrior said:

Did you get the rejection letter today or back in March? I didn’t actually think they would reject more people after the initial rejection letters were sent out.

I think they interviewed a ton of people this year relative to previous years. The AFMC doc says 360 whereas it's usually between 270-290. Guess six question MMI vs the usual eight question MMI allows them to interview more people. I wonder what proportion of the extra interviewed applicants were OOP since the MCAT cutoff seems to have gone up. I'd wager that they interviewed many more IP relative to previous cycles rather than increasing OOP interview spots. Guess we'll know when they release the data. 

https://www.afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

39 minutes ago, MedWarrior said:

I got it today. I didn’t think they would reject more people either. I thought everyone would be accepted for waitlisted 

Result - Waitlisted (1st Quartile), then offer to Regina Campus (2nd choice)

GPA - Mid-high 80s (86 or 87 I think for UG, but mid 90s for MSc.)

MCAT - 512

Location - IP

2x applicant (waitlisted last year as well).

UG Honours PHPY from USASK, MSc. from USASK.

Interview - thought 5/6 stations went very well, with one going OK.

Hoping that enough people with Saskatoon offers decline because I am planning on pursuing an MD-PhD, which would not go as smoothly with moving back and forth between Saskatoon and Regina! Best of luck to all people still on the waitlist, have hope!

Result - Waitlisted (3rd quartile)

GPA - 86

MCAT - 503

Location - IP

Degree - UG

Interview - Felt as though it went well but tough to tell. One was definitely a little rough. 

Not counting on much movement for IP waitlist and I imagine there’s around 30 people ahead so planning on MCAT rewrite. 

1 hour ago, Neurohypophysis Hypothesis said:

Result - Waitlisted (1st Quartile), then offer to Regina Campus (2nd choice)

GPA - Mid-high 80s (86 or 87 I think for UG, but mid 90s for MSc.)

MCAT - 512

Location - IP

2x applicant (waitlisted last year as well).

UG Honours PHPY from USASK, MSc. from USASK.

Interview - thought 5/6 stations went very well, with one going OK.

Hoping that enough people with Saskatoon offers decline because I am planning on pursuing an MD-PhD, which would not go as smoothly with moving back and forth between Saskatoon and Regina! Best of luck to all people still on the waitlist, have hope!

Wait, so you were on the waitlist this year and now you're ALREADY got off of it?? Congrats!

1 hour ago, YankyYeet said:

HALP, how do you reckon there are ~30 people ahead? I have no idea how many are on the waitlist, so am genuinely curious

At the site selection meeting one of the presenters said that there was the potential for 200 applicants to be on the call. Maybe it a big assumption but I’m guessing that how many were still in the running for a seat. 100 are accepted so that leaves another 100 split between each waitlist. If split 50/50 (which it might not be) and I’m 3rd quarter WL that leaves 25+ people  ahead. This is 100% speculative though.

1 minute ago, RoninCDN said:

Jesus so in order to get in did we need to get GPAs in the 85+ range?

Not necessarily. But you'd need either a good MCAT or a good interview to make up for it. GPA is worth 60 percent of the pre-interview score and 30 percent of the post interview score. MCAT is 40 percent pre-interview and 20 percent post interview. Interview is worth 50 percent.

If want to look at how they go about things, page 10-12 of the admission manual and the overall admission statistics should give you a good idea (assuming you understand z-scores).

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/admissions-statistics-5-year-summary.pdf

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/saskatchewan-resident-applicant-information.pdf