Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Interview Invites/Regrets 2018

On 14/01/2018 at 4:50 PM, jsilver said:

Time stamp: 3pm

Invite/Reject: rejected (MD)

GPA: 3.91 

CARS: 129

Casper: It felt okay! I spent about 2 weeks prepping. worked on typing speed and bought one of those fancy prep courses. i know i had quite a few spelling mistakes as I was trying to get all my thoughts down. but we were told spelling doesn't matter. evidently, it does.

IP

graduated 2016

Spelling doesn't matter. I had so many spelling mistakes that you probably couldn't even make out some of the words. I got an invite.

7 hours ago, eletan said:

Time stamp: 3:09pm jan 10

Invite/Reject: Reject (MD)

GPA: 3.97

CARS: 127

Casper: . didnt feel like my answers were that insightful :(

IP

hopes this helps 

With a GPA like that honestly I am kind of surprised you got rejected. I am an OOP with a 3.64 GPA and 128 CARS. I have not applied to any medical schools yet but this makes me wonder if I should even take a shot at Mac. It seems like Casper is really a deciding factor for a lot of people here.

8 hours ago, Sam201294 said:

With a GPA like that honestly I am kind of surprised you got rejected. I am an OOP with a 3.64 GPA and 128 CARS. I have not applied to any medical schools yet but this makes me wonder if I should even take a shot at Mac. It seems like Casper is really a deciding factor for a lot of people here.

MAC uses an equal mathematical weighting of GPA/CARS/CASPER for interviews. The problem you will run into is that MAC limits OOP interviews to 10%  (about 55 people). You will need an absolute top CASPER score.

17 hours ago, Sam201294 said:

heard from grapevine that 127 cars is not good enough for mac and very few people with 127 get in. 128 is apparently a reasonable score to have a shot at mac

2 hours ago, eletan said:

heard from grapevine that 127 cars is not good enough for mac and very few people with 127 get in. 128 is apparently a reasonable score to have a shot at mac

Thanks for the tip. Honestly will probably re-write and try to get 130+. Since I'm OOP with a lower GPA I have a feeling that even a 128 is a long shot. 

On 1/19/2018 at 9:49 PM, eletan said:

Mac publishes the scores of accepted students. For class of 2020:

123-125            4
126                6
127               22
128               32
129               52
130               41
131               19
132                5
avg:128.9

Time Stamp: Jan 10, 3:42 pm AST

Invite: Reject

IP/OOP: OOP

GPA: 3.86

CARS: 129 (wrote this section while freezing cold and battling an incredible urge to sprint to the bathroom so was surprised with this score)

Casper: Average to slightly below average I'm guessing. Answered all the questions, but didn't feel like they were too insightful. Managed to get a Dal interview so I know I didn't completely bomb it at least. =3

Year: Completed MASc

Posting stats for future applicants. Good luck to everyone interviewing!

31 minutes ago, YLA007 said:

Time stamp: January 10, 2:38 pm

Invite/Reject: Reject (MD)

GPA: 3.98 (UG - 4 year) 

CARS: 129

Casper: Really unsure, I think I answered correctly but only a couple sentences for each question.

OOP

RE: your CASPer. You definitely want more substantial answers than that. If you must, focus on only one or two of the questions. They're not supposed to penalize you for not answering all the questions. Just answer as many as you can the best you can. You might also want to get someone to evaluate your practice answers. If you have any CASPer prep questions  PM me.

• Leon pinned this topic
  • rmorelan unpinned this topic