UBC Waitlist Poll 2019

UBC Waitlist   

43 members have voted

1. 1. UBC Waitlist- Geography

• IP applicant
    • OOP applicant

1 minute ago, DTK87 said:

Nothing:( 

Honestly speaking I feel worse now than I did last year when I straight out got rejected. With the last two offers I kept having hope ... like maybe this is it! Just to not get anything.

I feel the same way, I'm just trying to distract myself as much as possible at this point. 

Timestamp: June 4 10:41 AM PST (Off Wait-List)

Accepted SMP (3rd choice)

Early or regular deadline: Regular

AGPA: ~89%

MCAT: 515 (130/125/131/129)

Year: Graduated 2017

ECs: I may have initiated ECs intent on improving med app but by integrating into communities (whether its basic science research lab, senior center, etc.), I ended up making connections and networks with people and this made it very hard to leave the activity.  As a result, I had quite a few long-term commitments (almost all >= 1year long). For anonymity reasons, I'll leave specifics out. Please message me if you'd like.

Geography: IP

Interview: This was my second time interviewing, I also interviewed last year. Since then, I worked a lot more in healthcare and developed some of the interpersonal skills that I think are either consciously or unconsciously tested for in interviews (e.g. confidence, extroversion, thinking on your feet). I also read a lot more on current social issues and really engaged with them by thinking about those things in the real world and talking to people about them. I found that there was an ethical element to a lot more of these issues than I had realized before and I tried to think about the ethics from as many different angles as possible. 

To be completely honest, I would say that there is an element of luck in the interview process. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a lottery because I do think there are ways one can improve on interviews, but I also don't think it's as much of a meritocracy as one would think. There are people who I really thought would get in this cycle who didn't and there are people who I worried were sociopathic who did get in (they did after all have high GPA + MCATs). The takeaway I'm suggesting is: try to practice for interviews but don't stress too much about it - just be a normal person.

Please message me if you have any specific questions. The med school process is stressful as is and as someone who thankfully made it in, I feel like I have a responsibility to pay it forward. Best of luck everyone.

•  

18 hours ago, UBC Enthusiast said:

Can people who are getting off the waitlist please help us out and post their stats whenever convenient? Just so we can try and predict where the rest of us still waiting are ranked on the list ?

I rarely post on this forum, but for those waiting I hope my stats can give you some relief/an idea of where you stand.

Timestamp: June 4 1:47 PM ET

Accepted VFMP (1st choice)

AGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 506. Yup 506... (128/125/126/127). Had little hope with this score, but miracles happen..

Year: Graduated, doing a 1 year masters

ECs: Think this is where I clutched. A couple pubs, decent work exp, volunteering, clubs. Lots of music experience (teaching, playing, etc.) Message me if you want more advice on this, because I think this is really the only reason I got in..

Geography: OOP

Interview: Felt decent, first MMI so wasn't too sure what to expect, but left not feeling bad or amazing.

Really hope this helps, and feel free to message me with more questions. I know this is a super difficult time for people and it can be very overwhelming at times.

9 hours ago, keener101 said:

I rarely post on this forum, but for those waiting I hope my stats can give you some relief/an idea of where you stand.

Timestamp: June 4 1:47 PM ET

Accepted VFMP (1st choice)

AGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 506. Yup 506... (128/125/126/127). Had little hope with this score, but miracles happen..

Year: Graduated, doing a 1 year masters

ECs: Think this is where I clutched. A couple pubs, decent work exp, volunteering, clubs. Lots of music experience (teaching, playing, etc.) Message me if you want more advice on this, because I think this is really the only reason I got in..

Geography: OOP

Interview: Felt decent, first MMI so wasn't too sure what to expect, but left not feeling bad or amazing.

Really hope this helps, and feel free to message me with more questions. I know this is a super difficult time for people and it can be very overwhelming at times.

Thank you so much for posting this! :)

Accepted my offer on Tuesday after many years of applying. Hopefully this gives hope to those on the wait list and those with low GPA's.

Timestamp: June 4 10:43AM PST

Accepted SMP (3rd choice)

AGPA: 82%

MCAT: 508

Year: Graduated from MSc program

ECs: Extensive. Lots of volunteer experience. Lots of research experience (a few publications). 

Geography: IP

Interview: First time interviewing. Felt unsure coming out of it, but felt strong for a few stations. 

Words cannot describe how thrilled I am! Good luck to everyone on the wait list! I know how discouraging it can be, but persistence and hard work pays off in the end! :)