Premed 101 Forums

Discussions - Final Decisions 2020

3 minutes ago, fymg1103yxy said:

I will be kinda frustrated if interview is just a P/F. Why would they even give ppl with a low EC score interview then? It is just such a waste. 

I'd like to think that as OOPs we got invited because we actually statistically had a chance of getting in, buuuuuuuut

46 minutes ago, fymg1103yxy said:

I will be kinda frustrated if interview is just a P/F. Why would they even give ppl with a low EC score interview then? It is just such a waste. 

I don't think interviews were JUST pass/fail.

That being said, interview invites went out before the COVID cancellations. It's possible that they invited "low EC" students who had potential, with the assumption MMIs would provide an additional screen for both high and low EC students. After COVID cancellation, they had to set up a new grading scheme for the interview portion, all this within a week. Possibilities for leaving interview scores as pass/fail were: a) the panel interview grading was not easily transferrable to a numeral score, b) they simply didn't want to reveal how they assessed you, c) they changed the interview weight, d) a mix, or e) an additional possibility.

54 minutes ago, pnpclear said:

I don't think interviews were JUST pass/fail.

That being said, interview invites went out before the COVID cancellations. It's possible that they invited "low EC" students who had potential, with the assumption MMIs would provide an additional screen for both high and low EC students. After COVID cancellation, they had to set up a new grading scheme for the interview portion, all this within a week. Possibilities for leaving interview scores as pass/fail were: a) the panel interview grading was not easily transferrable to a numeral score, b) they simply didn't want to reveal how they assessed you, c) they changed the interview weight, d) a mix, or e) an additional possibility.

Idk if this helps, but every year I've interviewed at UofA (twice), I've only received a P/F for the interview (no numerical score). Didn't apply there this cycle, though.

1 hour ago, Gumby said:

Idk if this helps, but every year I've interviewed at UofA (twice), I've only received a P/F for the interview (no numerical score). Didn't apply there this cycle, though.

That does answer some of the question, then, and probably indicates that interviews are graded, but the score is not released to the student. Maybe they have 'pass' on the application form to say that the student attended the interview?

3 minutes ago, pnpclear said:

That does answer some of the question, then, and probably indicates that interviews are graded, but the score is not released to the student. Maybe they have 'pass' on the application form to say that the student attended the interview?

I’m pretty sure it’s some sort of pass/fail where if you fail they remove your application but if you pass it’s still grade in some way. It says in the FAQ that it’s graded like an OSCE so if you do poorly on X amount of the interview you fail or something along those lines?

28 minutes ago, regretful spoon said:

I’m pretty sure it’s some sort of pass/fail where if you fail they remove your application but if you pass it’s still grade in some way. It says in the FAQ that it’s graded like an OSCE so if you do poorly on X amount of the interview you fail or something along those lines?

That would also make sense! Honestly, it's difficult to divine how admission committees think haha

12 hours ago, regretful spoon said:

Definitely don't quote me on this but I vaguely remember something about if you fail two stations, you're pretty much out. They do score each station. 

^ Me 3! I looked on the U of A page from this document: https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf and it looks like 58 spots last year (that is a guess based on declined offers - correct me if I am wrong!) but we have no idea how many people are on the waitlist so I am not sure what that means for our chances

4 hours ago, cakester said:

Has anybody ever been waitlisted at both UofA and UofC? And if so what was the end result? Just trying to gauge my chances..

•  

I remember my year U of C decisions came out first, and I was waitlisted. I was bummed, but I'd figured that I didn't do that well in the interview anyways. Then I got into the U of A. Then I got in off the waitlist to U of C. This is just to say that it's entirely possible to get off the waitlist at U of C, and I know multiple people at the U of A got in off the waitlist. Given the information you have, you have as good a chance as any, so don't give up hope.... but do plan for what you'll do if you don't get in to either

On 5/12/2020 at 5:12 PM, cakester said:

Has anybody ever been waitlisted at both UofA and UofC? And if so what was the end result? Just trying to gauge my chances..

•  

This was me last cycle! I got accepted off the waitlist for UofA 3 days after the initial acceptances came out. I took my name off the Calgary waitlist right away so I dont know whether I would've gotten accepted but your chances are probably a little higher ;)

Has anyone that's submitted their confirmation of admission form received an email back confirming that everything is complete? I sent my stuff in yesterday and there may be a backlog from the long weekend but thought I would check if others heard back today.

5 minutes ago, Anon1213 said:

Has anyone that's submitted their confirmation of admission form received an email back confirming that everything is complete? I sent my stuff in yesterday and there may be a backlog from the long weekend but thought I would check if others heard back today.

A friend of mine called today and the admissions office said they are still answering emails from Thursday last week! I submitted mine early last week and got a confirmation email the following day. 

32 minutes ago, Anon1213 said:

I had mine confirmed last Thursday. Sure you will hear soon!

8 hours ago, Anon1213 said:

Sent my stuff in Sunday but haven’t heard back yet either.