Premed 101 Forums

Post-MMI thoughts/feelings

15 hours ago, Fendi87464 said:

OOP applicant here... I've been told my references have been contacted for a meeting. Does this mean I will be either waitlisted or accepted?

I'm confused because the application document says references aren't used competitively? 

Last year everyone who got their references checked (so long as they didn't say anything to red flag you) was waitlisted or accepted for IP

2 hours ago, zedmed said:

For those of you who have had your references contacted, did your reference let you let you know that they had been contacted or did you reach out to them and outright ask them?

Speak with mine on a weekly basis and they let me know

2 hours ago, zedmed said:

For those of you who have had your references contacted, did your reference let you let you know that they had been contacted or did you reach out to them and outright ask them?

Last year I reached out to my references then they told me they had been contacted

On 4/5/2021 at 9:55 AM, mm0616 said:

Last year everyone who got their references checked (so long as they didn't say anything to red flag you) was waitlisted or accepted for IP

I actually know a LOT of people who got their references contacted the last few years and got rejected!

1 hour ago, 12345mdsk said:

I actually know a LOT of people who got their references contacted the last few years and got rejected!

Interesting! Much of the information spread on here is based on personal experiences and hearsay. Last year since the waitlist was 102 people it is not surprising that the people I knew you had their references contacted all were accepted or waitlisted. But who knows some aspects have already been different this cycle. 

Last year they did not enforce an MMI cutoff and contacted references for everyone interviewed. The IP waitlist last year was over a 100 and the OOP waitlist was 45. Usually, only 10-20 people on the IP waitlist get offers. So there were many people on last year's wait-list who had a non existent chance at getting an offer off the waitlist. They outright rejected very few people last year and just dragged on the process with a very long waitlist with relatively little movement, giving folks false hope.

So last year was different from preceding years where they enforced an MMI cutoff and didn't contact references below the cutoff.  This year though, they seem to be enforcing the MMI cutoff like usual and sending rejections to folks below the MMI cutoff. They're doing this rather than waiting until mid May to give them rejections.

14 minutes ago, zoxy said:

Last year they did not enforce an MMI cutoff and contacted references for everyone interviewed. The IP waitlist last year was over a 100 and the OOP waitlist was 45. Usually, only 10-20 people on the IP waitlist get offers. So there were many people on last year's wait-list who had a non existent chance at getting an offer off the waitlist. They outright rejected very few people last year and just dragged on the process with a very long waitlist with relatively little movement, giving folks false hope.

So last year was different from preceding years where they enforced an MMI cutoff and didn't contact references below the cutoff.  This year though, they seem to be enforcing the MMI cutoff like usual and sending rejections to folks below the MMI cutoff. They're doing this rather than waiting until mid May to give them rejections.

I don't think thats true. I do think there was an MMI cutoff and contacted references for those who were above it. Otherwise the statistics wouldn't make much sense. 45 individuals were waitlisted, while 65 were interviewed for OOP. 

30 minutes ago, zoxy said:

The 5-year statistics page says that there was an MMI pass cutoff, but that it wasn't released.

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/admissions-statistics-5-year-summary.pdf

29 minutes ago, doingmedforthemoney said:

I don't think thats true. I do think there was an MMI cutoff and contacted references for those who were above it. Otherwise the statistics wouldn't make much sense. 45 individuals were waitlisted, while 65 were interviewed for OOP. 

The 65 interviewed were not all OOP. Confusingly, when the UofS reports it's data, it reports out of province aboriginal applicants as NSR(non Saskatchewan Resident) along with the normal OOP pool. However, these aboriginal applicants are part of the regular IP pool or the AAP(Aboriginal Applicant Pathway) pool rather than OOP pool, thus they are not part of the OOP waitlist. So last year, the UofS interviewed 50 OOP, (Initially accepting 5 and waitlisting 45) and 15 non-Saskatchewan aboriginal applicants for a total of 65 NSR.

That's actually why when you look at the statistics, there are more NSR applicants accepted than there are OOP seats. For example in 2019& 2020 there were 8 and 6 enrolled NSR respectively, when there are 5 seats max for OOP candidates. If you look at the pie charts at the bottom of the USask document, they only show 5 people in the none IAP NSR section for 2019 and 2020.

In fact, if you look at the data from 2018, which reports that 6 total NSR enrolled, only two of those were non IAP NSR.

15 minutes ago, zoxy said:

The 65 interviewed were not all OOP. Confusingly, when the UofS reports it's data, it reports out of province aboriginal applicants as NSR(non Saskatchewan Resident) along with the normal OOP pool. However, these aboriginal applicants are part of the regular IP pool or the AAP(Aboriginal Applicant Pathway) pool rather than OOP pool, thus they are not part of the OOP waitlist. So last year, the UofS interviewed 50 OOP, (Initially accepting 5 and waitlisting 45) and 15 non-Saskatchewan aboriginal applicants for a total of 65 NSR.

That's actually why when you look at the statistics, there are more NSR applicants accepted than there are OOP seats. For example in 2019& 2020 there were 8 and 6 enrolled NSR respectively, when there are 5 seats max for OOP candidates. If you look at the pie charts at the bottom of the USask document, they only show 5 people in the none IAP NSR section for 2019 and 2020.

In fact, if you look at the data from 2018, which reports that 6 total NSR enrolled, only two of those were non IAP NSR.

So if they only filled 2 of the non IAP NSR, I'm guessing that means all OOP applicants who passed the interview cutoff got an acceptance that year?

1 minute ago, naptime98 said:

So if they only filled 2 of the non IAP NSR, I'm guessing that means all OOP applicants who passed the interview cutoff got an acceptance that year?

Yes, but that was the year where they only interviewed those with a 99th percentile or higher MCAT, with a CARS cutoff of 90. So they only interviewed those with a 523+ or those with a 521-522 with a CARS greater or equal to a 128. As you can imagine, there's very few people in that category and almost all of them get OOP interviews at Manitoba and Western as well. Since Manitoba usually accepts 80-90 percent of the OOP it interviews, and they hadn't intorduced the CASPer yet,  the high MCAT folks would likely have gotten offers at Manitoba. Since Manitoba is 10K a year cheaper and has a ton of surgical spots/derm residencies available, you can probably assume that folks would pick Manitoba over Saskatchewan.

1 hour ago, zoxy said:

Yes, but that was the year where they only interviewed those with a 99th percentile or higher MCAT, with a CARS cutoff of 90. So they only interviewed those with a 523+ or those with a 521-522 with a CARS greater or equal to a 128. As you can imagine, there's very few people in that category and almost all of them get OOP interviews at Manitoba and Western as well. Since Manitoba usually accepts 80-90 percent of the OOP it interviews, and they hadn't intorduced the CASPer yet,  the high MCAT folks would likely have gotten offers at Manitoba. Since Manitoba is 10K a year cheaper and has a ton of surgical spots/derm residencies available, you can probably assume that folks would pick Manitoba over Saskatchewan.

I wonder what the waitlist movement will be like this year for OOP.

7 minutes ago, minahg said:

I wonder what the waitlist movement will be like this year for OOP.

MCAT cutoff was higher this year(relatively large difference between 519 and 520) and they enforced an MMI cutoff. Plus, since this year had virtual MMIs, it's less likely that those with multiple interviews (UofS interviews would sometimes overlap with other schools) would turn down an interview offer as there's no cost to travel. There should theoretically be less people on the waitlist and a higher proportion should have Western and Manitoba interviews.

As for the actual(non theoretical) amount of waitlist movement, your guess is as good as anyone's.

MCAT percentile data:

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/d9/04/d904b7f4-c3d0-4469-aed1-e5afff500d05/mcat_total_and_section_score_percentile_ranks_2020_for_web.pdf

20 minutes ago, Saskapp12 said:

I think they lowered the OOP MCAT cutoff at least partially. I was initially rejected pre-interview, and then offered an interview a couple weeks later. 519 MCAT, 132 CARS, not sure about Casper but I don’t think great, as I did not receive a Mac interview (IP Ontario)

Interesting. I assume with that CARS you were the highest ranked applicant with a 519. They use CARS and then UAA as a tiebreaker. Also they don't really care about CASPer as long as you're not in the bottom two percent of test takers.

Unrelated but I can't believe you didn't get a Mac interview with that CARS score. CASPer is such a fraud.