Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread 2021

2 hours ago, justarandomapplicant said:

Does anyone know if they sent out offers off the Waitlist as they open up? Or do they wait until the deadline passes for the first round of offers?

Wondering about this as well. Knowing what sort of timeline we are looking at for waitlist offers would be ideal

1 hour ago, powdermonkey13 said:

Waitlisted last year. Initiall accepted batch have 2 weeks to respond. You will not hear anything until then likely. The first waitlisted batch is released basically on the day they set out. Then I believe in small batches after that.

Lots of movement in years past,  keep faith and good luck!

So we will likely be waiting until the end of May for the first big wave to come out assuming they are doing things similar to last year? Wondering if those with offers still have 2 weeks to respond like last year

10 hours ago, garceyues said:

Is anyone a bit worried about receiving a waitlist phone call instead of an email? I'm worried I might miss a call because I'm at work or something like that haha (seriously though)

Im sure they would leave a voicemail and email you as well haha I don't think they'd just move onto the next person after one missed call

21 minutes ago, LC97 said:

I'm very thankful to be waitlisted but I already feel the stress building up towards May 21. It's like waiting for Wednesday all over again. 

We're all in this together! But I know exactly what you mean, I'm so grateful to have another chance to get in, but I swear I haven't been able to sleep in so long. 

2 hours ago, medhopeful2024 said:

I feel this :( I think that the first wave might go out after the long weekend

Yeah, I would really like to know if the first big wave of waitlist offers will be sent out next Friday or after the long weekend. This waiting game feels like an eternity 

Does anyone know how the facebook group works? Like are people only added once they've accepted their offer? Because even though it's a private group you can see how many people have been added in the last week, which is currently 89 which is a lot more than I would have expected to accept during the first round of offers based on https://www.afmc.ca/web/sites/default/files/pdf/2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf (page 88), which shows that usually 90ish people decline and 15ish defer.

Sorry if this is excessively neurotic, gotta pass the time somehow lol.

9 minutes ago, LC97 said:

Does anyone know how the facebook group works? Like are people only added once they've accepted their offer? Because even though it's a private group you can see how many people have been added in the last week, which is currently 89 which is a lot more than I would have expected to accept during the first round of offers based on https://www.afmc.ca/web/sites/default/files/pdf/2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf (page 88), which shows that usually 90ish people decline and 15ish defer.

Yeah, this is usually how it works. But I think those numbers aren't accurate because the fb group isn't only the people from the new class, it contains people from the upper years as well (my friend is currently a u of c med student). So people from the upper years may have been added to the group this week too!

I'm also thinking the first wave of waitlist offers will come out on Friday or the Tuesday after the long weekend. Hopefully we will get a blog post that lets us know for certain.

Also, does anyone have any idea as to why they sent 200 initial offers in 2019, 170 in 2020, but only 150 this year? The available seats don't seem to have varied much, in fact I think there are 5 additional seats available compared to last year :confused:

2 hours ago, LC97 said:

I think @medhopeful2024 hit the nail on the head, a lot of the recent adds to the FB group were likely upper year med students. I don't think we can really rely on the FB group as an accurate measure.

Additionally, in the most recent blog post Dr. P said that 276 offers were made in 2018-2019. By comparison, if you add the Offered and Registered + Offered Deferred + Offer Declined for 2018-2019, you get 135+18+92=245. There is a discrepancy of 31 offers between what Dr. P said and what AFMC has reported. Also, AFMC says 15.8% of Foreign applicants to U of C were successful, but U of C doesn’t even offer seats for international students so I have no idea what this number means or where it came from. Bottom line is I think the AFMC document is filled with inaccuracies :lol:

2 hours ago, garceyues said:

I'm also thinking the first wave of waitlist offers will come out on Friday or the Tuesday after the long weekend. Hopefully we will get a blog post that lets us know for certain.

Also, does anyone have any idea as to why they sent 200 initial offers in 2019, 170 in 2020, but only 150 this year? The available seats don't seem to have varied much, in fact I think there are 5 additional seats available compared to last year :confused:

Hopefully this means that there will be even more waitlist movement this year compared to previous ones!