Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

1 hour ago, OT_applicant said:

anyone that has gone thru the ubc interview before, do they use our grades to compare us to others again or will our acceptance be solely based on the interview now?

From my understanding, there is no further GPA cutoff after the interview, but the application will be looked at as a whole. Just GPA is used to secure an interview. 

1 hour ago, PotentialOT said:

From my understanding, there is no further GPA cutoff after the interview, but the application will be looked at as a whole. Just GPA is used to secure an interview. 

I heard the same thing. After the interview, they’ll take your references, Casper, and personal statement in order to make the final decision. 

On 2/14/2022 at 4:48 PM, AspiringPT10 said:

Yeah this is my second time applying and I took the year to upgrade and get more experience and it was the best decision! I am an Alberta applicant, so my GPA was on the UAlberta 4.0 scale.  (A/A+=4.0, A-=3.7).

this gives me so much hope! thank you so much for sharing. it's so nice to see people applying to physio more than once, it makes me (us) feel less alone. 

On 2/15/2022 at 8:58 PM, pathtopt said:

Does anyone have any information on how UBC (or even other schools) run their MMI?

Definitely not asking for any specifics as I know that that's not allowed, but things like:

• The relative proportion of situational, policy, role play, personal questions they ask out of the 9. 
  • Whether interviewers prompt you with more questions if you speak for less than 6 minutes or whether they stay silent?
  • How the heck the Zoom interview is even going to work!!? Will various interviewers be logging on and off our Zoom call every station?

Would appreciate any input! Feel free to add more Qs :) 

With regards to how the Zoom aspect works:  You will have an opening welcome.  After that, you are automatically pushed through each station.  Then you should have a debrief at the end and possibly a meeting online with some current students (that is what we had last year at least).  It is pretty common to either finish early and have some silence (which is not a bad thing) or to be cut off in the middle of an idea (particularly if you are asked any follow ups).  Take the lead of your station facilitator!  If they thank you and don't ask anything else, just take a moment to breath.  I had a mixture of both (multiple follow ups vs 2 minutes of silence).

Be prepared for the possibility of personal or application related questions.  I was asked about something I wrote on my application.  My advice would be to know your application, don't be afraid to ask questions, think before you speak, and be ready for anything!  I think most questions were either ethical or personal opinion.  They want to see that you can acknowledge multiple stances but also that you can choose your own stance.  Don't be wishy-washy, but also don't infer that your opinion is the only valid one!

6 hours ago, ptstudent_2500 said:

With regards to how the Zoom aspect works:  You will have an opening welcome.  After that, you are automatically pushed through each station.  Then you should have a debrief at the end and possibly a meeting online with some current students (that is what we had last year at least).  It is pretty common to either finish early and have some silence (which is not a bad thing) or to be cut off in the middle of an idea (particularly if you are asked any follow ups).  Take the lead of your station facilitator!  If they thank you and don't ask anything else, just take a moment to breath.  I had a mixture of both (multiple follow ups vs 2 minutes of silence).

Be prepared for the possibility of personal or application related questions.  I was asked about something I wrote on my application.  My advice would be to know your application, don't be afraid to ask questions, think before you speak, and be ready for anything!  I think most questions were either ethical or personal opinion.  They want to see that you can acknowledge multiple stances but also that you can choose your own stance.  Don't be wishy-washy, but also don't infer that your opinion is the only valid one!

This is super helpful, thank you!

Just wanted to ask if the questions were similar to med school MMI's? Most of the sample questions posted online are for med school so I wasn't sure if those were applicable to study with for PT? I understand that some of the med questions are still valid but most are super situational medicine based. Appreciate your advice. 

13 hours ago, PT2022- said:

This is super helpful, thank you!

Just wanted to ask if the questions were similar to med school MMI's? Most of the sample questions posted online are for med school so I wasn't sure if those were applicable to study with for PT? I understand that some of the med questions are still valid but most are super situational medicine based. Appreciate your advice. 

100% similar format and expectation wise.  For PT, they won't generally ask you anything that requires actual knowledge about medical/physio things.  It is all stuff that you could talk about without that knowledge.  The med school questions that are about ethical patient treatment, confidentiality, and those sorts of subjects are definitely good ones to practice with!!

These are some good questions posted by U of A.  They are a bit more general health/community type questions.  Definitely try your hand at more medical questions though.

https://www.ualberta.ca/physical-therapy/programs/msc-in-physical-therapy/admissions/application-requirements/sample-mmi-questions.html

Regardless of the information in the response you can come up with, the organization factor will be helpful to practice!

Hey is anyone else having difficulties making payments for Mac Kira? I have been trying all weekend with no success. I keep getting the following message "your cart is empty."  I'm worried that I won't be able to make the payment by the deadline. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2 hours ago, 101PT said:

Hey is anyone else having difficulties making payments for Mac Kira? I have been trying all weekend with no success. I keep getting the following message "your cart is empty."  I'm worried that I won't be able to make the payment by the deadline. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

You have to select the Kira interview and add it to your cart before you're able to check out. The "Add to Cart" button should be just above the "Checkout" button at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps! :)

18 hours ago, 101PT said:

Did it ever work? Also refuses to work with me, also been trying over the weekend.

29 minutes ago, BKin.d said:

Did it ever work? Also refuses to work with me, also been trying over the weekend.

Has not been working for me either :( I think it may be a system problem, so I'm guessing they'll get getting a bunch of emails from the long weekend and will have to extend the payment deadline date. I made sure to record myself unable to add it to my cart so that I have proof that I tried multiple times and on different devices. This is so stressful!!

6 hours ago, borahae said:

Has not been working for me either :( I think it may be a system problem, so I'm guessing they'll get getting a bunch of emails from the long weekend and will have to extend the payment deadline date. I made sure to record myself unable to add it to my cart so that I have proof that I tried multiple times and on different devices. This is so stressful!!

It worked for me now. I think they fixed it. 

Hey guys! This is a bit of a personal Q but I wonder if anyone is in the same boat / has any tips. 

I'm sure most of us have been in online school for quite a while now - and of course, this came with open book exams meaning we no longer had to memorize small details and had the option to rely on our notes if/when needed. Don't get me wrong, I still always strived to understand concepts/processes as well as I possibly could, but I can't shake the feeling that perhaps I wouldn't have done as well on my exams recently if they weren't open notes. 

We also had the privilege of online lectures -- being able to rewind, pause, and revisit lectures. This was SO helpful to me as I often struggle to follow along. 

Going into PT, I'm nervous.. We're going to be bombarbed with so much information and while it will all be really exciting to learn, I'm worried I've lost my ability to memorize and be as quick to learn things (if we don't get recorded lectures).

Is anyone else feeling this way? Any tips? 

*Also, please don't send any negative comments my way. I know myself and I know I am a great student who loves learning. These are just some anxieties I'm experiencing. 

9 minutes ago, pathtopt said:

Hey guys! This is a bit of a personal Q but I wonder if anyone is in the same boat / has any tips. 

I'm sure most of us have been in online school for quite a while now - and of course, this came with open book exams meaning we no longer had to memorize small details and had the option to rely on our notes if/when needed. Don't get me wrong, I still always strived to understand concepts/processes as well as I possibly could, but I can't shake the feeling that perhaps I wouldn't have done as well on my exams recently if they weren't open notes. 

We also had the privilege of online lectures -- being able to rewind, pause, and revisit lectures. This was SO helpful to me as I often struggle to follow along. 

Going into PT, I'm nervous.. We're going to be bombarbed with so much information and while it will all be really exciting to learn, I'm worried I've lost my ability to memorize and be as quick to learn things (if we don't get recorded lectures).

*Also, please don't send any negative comments my way. I know myself and I know I am a great student who loves learning. These are just some anxieties I'm experiencing. 

Hey!

I understand your anxiety. I took a gap year before doing my 2nd undergrad and I was anxious that I wouldn't be able to memorize things as well and that would affect my GPA. However, I was wrong. Taking that gap year allowed me to have a fresh start and I was able to memorize and learn things even more efficiently. I doubt if you get accepted to PT or OT, you will have any trouble learning the material. Of course it will be difficult to learn all that material, but with hard work you will def be able to get through it! Besides, I've heard that there is a lot less memorization in PT than in undergrad.

2 hours ago, pathtopt said:

People will be coming in from all sorts of backgrounds. The first semester takes it slower and makes sure everyone has the same foundation to build off of. Memorization isn't that useful anyways, but those skills will come back quickly. Just have good study habits. If your in the position to get offered a seat you have proved you are a good student and have what it takes.

1 hour ago, 101PT said:

I kept trying and eventually it worked. Seems like they fixed the issue.

For everyone trying, just keep a check on your email. I ran into a lot of errors when I tried to pay over the weekend and each time I tried a different payment method bc I thought that was the issue. Turns out, each time the screen said "error" or "something has gone wrong" the payment went through. I ended up paying for 3 interviews without even realizing it so check your email for receipts just in case!