Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa 2022 Interview Invites

53 minutes ago, Boomer28 said:

Just wondering if anyone can confirm, on Ottawa website, they say "Candidates who require accommodations for their interview must contact the Admissions Office at least two weeks prior to interview day".

I'm guessing that this means that it's in person interview, and not on-line. 

Not necessarily... I believe by "accommodations", they mean adjusted lighting, interpretation (e.g., sign language), assisted communication, etc.

Based on my knowledge, I would be very surprised if interviews are held in person.

I just want to say to anyone out there, don't stress too much!! I know it's hard to not do so but if it's what you want you will get there  :)  Also for anyone applying for the first time, if you don't get an invite, don't panic. I have many friends in Med school rn, and myself,  who got rejected pre interview 1 or 2 times. Trust the process, reflect on your application and make yourself a more competitive candidate for the next year. You got this !!! Good luck  

47 minutes ago, Workinghardtobeadoc said:

I just want to say to anyone out there, don't stress too much!! I know it's hard to not do so but if it's what you want you will get there  :)  Also for anyone applying for the first time, if you don't get an invite, don't panic. I have many friends in Med school rn, and myself,  who got rejected pre interview 1 or 2 times. Trust the process, reflect on your application and make yourself a more competitive candidate for the next year. You got this !!! Good luck  

love this , thank you so much :)

Invite/Regrets: nothing yet
Time Stamp: n/a
Stream: English
cGPA/wGPA: 3.96/3.97
Current year: Finishing M.Sc in May
ECs: Long term (5+ years) experiences in education, including being a college professor, TA in multiple courses, private secondary school teacher, tutor, and mentor. Long term (4+ years) of research experiences (biological chemistry, organic chemistry, clinical imaging, applied MRI physics) with CIHR CGS-M grant, 2 co-authors, 1 disclosure/patent, and many presentations. Some short (under a year) and long (5+ years) term volunteer, employment, EC stuff in music, student government, restaurant serving, clubs, hospital, and crossfit. Many academic awards. 

Casper: 4th Quartile

After being rejected from all of the Ontario schools for two years now (not a single interview), I have come to recognize the subjective/luck factor that plays a roll in admissions. I'm wishing everyone the best, but please take it from me, whether or not you are admitted does not say a whole lot about you as a person (I know many who were rejected and could have been admitted, and vice versa). Do what you love and grow connections with those who care about you, because this process is very toxic and takes a serious toll on the mental health of many. You are all striving for, arguably, the hardest academic goal that exists in Canada - just keep in mind that you are not defined by this goal.

I pray that no matter what happens, you are all able to find a path that gives you meaning and provides you with a sense of accomplishment. Take it easy, and let's see how the dice roll this time around. 

11 minutes ago, ThirdTimesACharm said:

Invite/Regrets: nothing yet
Time Stamp: n/a
cGPA/wGPA: 3.96/3.97
Current year: Finishing M.Sc in May
ECs: Long term (5+ years) experiences in education, including being a college professor, TA in multiple courses, private secondary school teacher, tutor, and mentor. Long term (4+ years) of research experiences (biological chemistry, organic chemistry, clinical imaging, applied MRI physics) with CIHR CGS-M grant, 2 co-authors, 1 disclosure/patent, and many presentations. Some short (under a year) and long (5+ years) term volunteer, employment, EC stuff in music, student government, restaurant serving, clubs, hospital, and crossfit. Many academic awards. 

Casper: 4th Quartile

After being rejected from all of the Ontario schools for two years now (not a single interview), I have come to recognize the subjective/luck factor that plays a roll in admissions. I'm wishing everyone the best, but please take it from me, whether or not you are admitted does not say a whole lot about you as a person (I know many who were rejected and could have been admitted, and vice versa). Do what you love and grow connections with those who care about you, because this process is very toxic and takes a serious toll on the mental health of many. You are all striving for, arguably, the hardest academic goal that exists in Canada - just keep in mind that you are not defined by this goal.

I pray that no matter what happens, you are all able to find a path that gives you meaning and provides you with a sense of accomplishment. Take it easy, and let's see how the dice roll this time around. 

Are you trolling bro? How did u never get an interview with an application like this?

1 hour ago, ordinaryperson said:

Are you trolling bro? How did u never get an interview with an application like this?

Seriously... if those stats are not enough, how do some 3rd years get invites? What do 3rd years even do for ECs to make them competitive if a mature applicant with college professor experience and other professional experience don't get invited?

15 minutes ago, BonJovi said:

Seriously... if those stats are not enough, how do some 3rd years get invites? What do 3rd years even do for ECs to make them competitive if a mature applicant with college professor experience and other professional experience don't get invited?

I think there is probably a certain amount of med applications evaluations that are related to age and stage of the applicant. A third year would need to stand out for someone at that stage of their life - if you are younger, you have less years to build a CV. 

There's also the fact that your CV needs to jive with the person evaluating your file. 

21 minutes ago, BonJovi said:

Some have inside connections to program directors/evaluators etc. Nepotism is rampant in Canada. Let's continue pretending this whole admissions process is fair when there's a monster candidate like ThirdTimesACharm being rejected over some 3rd year. 

1 hour ago, ThirdTimesACharm said:

You have truly amazing stats and I hope positive news will come your way. I 100% agree with what you have said. Unfortunately there is a substantial component of luck in this entire process, even more so when it comes to CARS, CASPer, essays, sketches, and especially interviews. There is only so much that can be done, and at a certain point the ticket to medicine simply becomes a function of subjectivity/luck.

I wish everyone here the best of luck. Echoing what has been said -- follow your passions, go at your own pace (and don't be discouraged if it takes several attempts), and don't lose sight of all of your incredible accomplishments.

Invite/Regrets: Regrets
Time Stamp: 10:30 AM
cGPA: 3.97
Current year: 4th Year UG
ECs: thought they were decent (good enough for Queen's invite) - lots of long-term volunteering, work experience, leadership, NSERC USRA, research assistant for 3+ years (no pubs), etc. 

Casper: 4th quartile (good enough for Queen's and Mac with a 128 CARS). 

Best of luck to everyone who gets an interview! 

Time Stamp: 11:18 AM
cGPA: 3.88, 3 year GPA 3.86 (I incorrectly assumed they'd use the better of the two, but either way it was too low)
Current year: PhD
ECs: Research heavy (10 pubs, lots of research awards), volunteering, 8 years of part-time work experience during undergrad/grad school. Don't think it really matters since I don't think my file was reviewed anyways.

Casper: 4th quartile 

11 minutes ago, prejaded said:

Time Stamp: 11:18 AM
cGPA: 3.88, 3 year GPA 3.86 (I incorrectly assumed they'd use the better of the two, but either way it was too low)
Current year: PhD
ECs: Research heavy (10 pubs, lots of research awards), volunteering, 8 years of part-time work experience during undergrad/grad school. Don't think it really matters since I don't think my file was reviewed anyways.

Casper: 4th quartile 

damnnn you only missed the OOP English stream cutoff by 0.01. Excellent stats btw

1 hour ago, outofthewoods said:

Time Stamp: 10:30 AM
cGPA: 3.97
Current year: 4th Year UG
ECs: thought they were decent (good enough for Queen's invite) - lots of long-term volunteering, work experience, leadership, NSERC USRA, research assistant for 3+ years (no pubs), etc. 

Casper: 4th quartile (good enough for Queen's and Mac with a 128 CARS). 

Best of luck to everyone who gets an interview! 

if you didn't get an interview, then i seriously have no chance :(