Premed 101 Forums

Doug Ford to announce more than 450 new medical school positions in Ontario

40 minutes ago, indefatigable said:

There has to be a catch..  mostly family med? Split between CMG and IMG?

The catch is you need to re-elect Doug Ford lol

Also the plan is to add these seats over a period of 5 years, so you can bet most of that will be done near the end of that time period. Some seats are committed for institutions that aren't even built yet...

1 hour ago, Redpill said:

Also the plan is to add these seats over a period of 5 years, so you can bet most of that will be done near the end of that time period. Some seats are committed for institutions that aren't even built yet...

And keep in mind Ontario has elections every 4 years so you might have to elect him twice to get that 5th year delivery. 

On 3/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, Redpill said:

I'm not sure though - I think the institutions believe the money is committed.  Sure, the next government could cut part of the spending, but I think it's unlikely given the opposition.  Plus, it would be politically unpopular - there was a lot of pushback when the Ford Government initially tried to cut the Université de l'Ontario Français (in TO - created by the Wynne government) and they ended up supporting it.  If anything supporting medical spending takes away a bit of the social middle ground that the Liberals and NDP usually try to claim as their own.  I still don't think the sets will be delivered carte blanche to the schools though - I expect there is more in the background.      

I think its happening tbh, this Ryerson med school thing was announced a while back and this just adds further fuel to that fire. The PGME spots at established institutions are easy to add and a UTSC campus for med is not unrealistic. Good news for the GTA gunners though because theres about to be a whole lot more Toronto med school and residency spots out there soon. 

On 3/17/2022 at 10:30 PM, Edict said:

I think its happening tbh, this Ryerson med school thing was announced a while back and this just adds further fuel to that fire. The PGME spots at established institutions are easy to add and a UTSC campus for med is not unrealistic. Good news for the GTA gunners though because theres about to be a whole lot more Toronto med school and residency spots out there soon. 

Is there really capacity to add all these learners though? There's only so many interesting cases, and more important adequate teachers, to go around between the massive number of current residents/students.

14 hours ago, medigeek said:

Is there really capacity to add all these learners though? There's only so many interesting cases, and more important adequate teachers, to go around between the massive number of current residents/students.

There are, GTA definitely has a lot of untapped capacity. We are adding something like 400k new people a year in Canada and something like 25% end up in the GTA. So there is definitely room for growth there and probably a lot of untapped potential. While it baffles me that Ryerson is hosting a medical school 40km away from their own campus and not York which is better positioned and has been wanting one for a while, I do think there is capacity. 

23 hours ago, Edict said:

There are, GTA definitely has a lot of untapped capacity. We are adding something like 400k new people a year in Canada and something like 25% end up in the GTA. So there is definitely room for growth there and probably a lot of untapped potential. While it baffles me that Ryerson is hosting a medical school 40km away from their own campus and not York which is better positioned and has been wanting one for a while, I do think there is capacity. 

I have also heard that the York faculty of science is much more developed than their counterpart at Ryerson. 

1 hour ago, shikimate said:

Lol you don't need much to set up a medical school. Look at those in the Carib, couple of buildings for classroom, another building for library, lab and some mock clinic/bedside, a few MD who lost their US license and voila, 96%+ USMLE step 1 pass rate!

I know you were being facetious about the ease of opening a medical school, but it's actually quite tough to set up an LCME school. The strict LCME criteria is the primary reason that the number of DO schools has ballooned in the US while the number of MD schools hasn't increased significantly. Of course, from 2025 onward the LMCE will not be accrediting Canadian schools so the strictness of the LCME criteria becomes irrelevant. By the way, 2025 is the date that's been floated for the opening of the Brampton school. Coincidence? I think not.

https://www.ryerson.ca/media/releases/2022/03/ontario-government-confirms-ryerson-university-school-of-medicin

On 3/21/2022 at 1:23 PM, Edict said:

I assume its because Ryerson has better lobbying capabilities. For example Sheldon Levy, their past president, was a deputy minster for the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities (although he was a Liberal pick and resigned when the PCs came to power), and there were others that worked in the ministry and likely built up a network.

Edit: digging into the Ryerson news release a bit more, it looks like the President of the Treasury Board is the MPP for Brampton South. I imagine that likely helped secure funding for the proposal for the Brampton medical school option...