Premed 101 Forums

McGill MDCM Fall 2022 Acceptance/Rejection/Waitlist Thread

jashering

2 minutes ago, nicknacks said:

TIME STAMP: Looked at 11 AM

Result: Waitlisted #9 MTL; #7 OTA

Casper Quartile: 4th

GPA: 3.94/4.0

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt really good about it despite it being my first MMI! Practiced with med student and physician, felt like I got a lot of criticism/feedback which helped me improve my answers.

Current year of study: Graduated BA

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comments: HOW MUCH DOES THE WAITLIST MOVE 

omg I'm right behind you! you've got to tell me when you get in :lol:

TIME STAMP: around 11am

Result: admitted

GPA: 4.0

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Felt good about a couple stations, poorly about one of them and OK about the others. 

Current year of study: 4th year undergrad

Comments: Still in shock! Looking forward to getting started. Feels so surreal that this day happened! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back. 

TIME STAMP: 11ish

Result: admitted 

GPA: 3.91/4

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I practiced a lot because I really wanted to not freeze in front of the interviewer and be ready for the unexpected! I really think it helped me a lot, but in the end I felt I was just very much myself (with not freezing or lagging!) Felt I had a 50/50 chance of getting in, thought I did my best but very unsure of what they were looking for/testing!

Current year of study:  2nd undergrad + 1st year master

Comments:  very very very much in shock  

TIME STAMP: Around 10

Result: Admitted with conditions (don't know what the conditions are yet though)

Casper Quartile: 4th. Had prepared a lot for the Casper test, mostly by using the p*r*e*p_m*a*t*c*h website. Would recommand B*E_M*O*'s book to understand how to structure one's answers.

GPA: 3.9x/4 (Social science, B.A.)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Felt decent. I had practiced a lot for the Casper and the MMIs. Prepared by looking at B*E_M*O's book on the subject, as well as Medical School Interviews (by Picard and Lee) and The Secrets Of The Multiple Mini Interview (by Leah Feldman). Of all three, I believe that Picard and Lee's book was the most helpful, followed closely by Leah Feldman's and B*E_M*O's.

Current year of study:  Completed a B.A. and an M.A. in social science.

Comments: 

- Prepared a lot for the Casper test and the MMI's

- Had a pretty good C.V. with work experience, a few publications, and a few scholarships. Made sure to include exemples that included all the words used by McGill in their list of non-academic criteria (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process/non-academic-criteria).

- Feeling extremely grateful for having found this community in which people are so selfless and have guided me and others through preparing for the various steps of the admission process. Literally created this account just to thank you all. Good luck to all those who are still waiting for answers or thinking of applying next year! I have lurked on this website for almost a year and have developed some kind of weird affection for many of the names I have seen on this thread (hope that doesn't sound too strange) and wish you all the very best

TIME STAMP: 10:30am

Result: Waitlist MTL #4  

Casper Quartile: 4th

GPA: 3.91/4 (professional degree)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt really good about more than half the stations and felt meh/average about the others. Overall, I left the MMI feeling pretty confident and had fun doing it. 

Current year of study:  Completed undergrad

Comments:  I know 4th spot on WL is great news because chances are I’m in but man the wait until it moves is going to be killer! Hoping to get in and meet all of you! :) 

Edit to add how I prepped: I joined a big MMI prep group on Facebook messenger and found a good few people I really enjoyed practicing with and did some sessions just us. We practiced a lot of acting scenarios together and gave honest feedback. I also got two of my family members to come be pretend MMI actors for the others in my group and I made them do a mock scenario with them which they found to be very helpful because it was MUCH more intimidating doing it with people you had never seen before and who were staying in character the entire time beforehand. In addition, I recorded myself answering personal questions and watched the videos later to pick up on my bad habits (eyes wandering a lot when I talk, playing with my hair, looking nervous, saying umm, etc) and found ways to fix them. I didn’t read any books because I didn’t have time but I do have some background in therapeutic communication and ethics in nursing that I felt would be helpful for me.

Overall: Practice practice practice :) be well spoken and confident even if you’re freaking out on the inside. Be genuine, empathetic and friendly. Don’t underestimate the power of active listening and non-verbal communication (facial expressions, body language).

Edited by ceelbe

TIME STAMP: Checked around 11:00 am (but assuming it was posted earlier) 

Result: Admitted !!! 

GPA: 3.81 (3.84 before mcgill dropped winter 2021). If youre like me and had a GPA that was below average, please know that it is still possible!! I was admitted to both Med and Dent!!! 

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt amazing after the MMI. I did alot of prep with some friends and felt completely prepared!! It was a really great experience. 

Current year of study:  Undergrad completed in 2021, in M1 

1 hour ago, pharmyveg1 said:

GPA: 3.81 (3.84 before mcgill dropped winter 2021). If youre like me and had a GPA that was below average, please know that it is still possible!! I was admitted to both Med and Dent!!! 

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt amazing after the MMI. I did alot of prep with some friends and felt completely prepared!! It was a really great experience. 

Congrats on your acceptance !!  It's amazing seeing people succeed even with "lower" GPA (which btw is still excellent in my opinion). Do you mind sharing your ECs ? Also I'm curious to know what was your UG. You can always PM me if you're uncomfortable sharing here. Thank you :)

5 hours ago, pipette said:

Waitlisted #53 MTL. Do I have a chance of getting in? Having mixed feelings about the results...I am happy I got on the waitlist, but I feel like being 53rd is like a rejection.

ahah im waitlisted #54 MTL, you certainly have more chance than me :P. Was it your first time applying ? 

It was my first interview and I realized I prepared poorly, I took it as a "come as you are" vibe but didn't work out for me.

At this point, our only chances of getting in is if the government add more seats as they did in 2020 :unsure:

TIME STAMP: 10h20

Result: Waitlist MTL #54  (at this point even if I get an offer I might reject it <_<, because if 53 people said NO there's gotta be something fishy, I don't wanna be missing the party :P (joking)

GPA: 3.8/4 

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): horrible, then not bad, then horrible, then average, then I just accepted my faith. Felt like I aced one of the stations tho. I didn't prepare much, had a lot of stuff going on and started really practicing 1 week before

Current year of study:  2nd year of MSc

Comments:  first time ever applying, didn't have a lot of ressources to actually practice because i discovered these niches and forums shortly before the interview date and didn't know anybody else who was applying. It was very fun tho and I learned a lot ! Definitely going to prepare better next year !  And congrats to everyone who got in !! 

3 hours ago, pharmyveg1 said:

Congrats on your acceptance!!!! Such wonderful news! 3,81 is a great GPA! I would also love to know your UG (professionnal degree or not?) and EC if you can share?  I am wondering how to improve my application with a 3.8x gpa! You can pm me if you want! Thanks so much! 

2 hours ago, cc11 said:

Congrats on your acceptance !!  It's amazing seeing people succeed even with "lower" GPA (which btw is still excellent in my opinion). Do you mind sharing your ECs ? Also I'm curious to know what was your UG. You can always PM me if you're uncomfortable sharing here. Thank you :)

haha yeah its crazy how med applications skew our perspective of what a good GPA is! I'll PM you with my UG and ECs :) 

TIME STAMP: 9:30

GPA: 3.8/4 

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): thought it was pretty challenging. Most stations felt pretty good but then I started overthinking and felt horrible….

Current year of study:  3rd year B.Sc in psychology

Comments: Totally in shock. I feel SO grateful! 

Congrats everyone !!! :wub:

TIME STAMP: 10:30ish AM

Result: Admitted

Casper Quartile: 3rd

GPA: 3.98 (this is my second bachelor's -- 3.56 on my first)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt good about it overall I think, but I prepared A TON. This was the only interview I got (up until Sherbrooke very recently) so I wasn't taking anything for granted. 

Current year of study: Completed MSc.

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comments: This is my billionth time applying, and my first/only interview. I was ready to give up until my bosses convinced me to do another bachelor's to improve my grades. For anyone who didn't get in and is lurking here, people will often share publicly that the put in no effort to get in or "just went with the flow" for MMIs -- DON'T. Prepare, prepare, prepare.

Excited to see everyone who got in in August and everyone else down the road :) Keep at it folks.

35 minutes ago, OldFart said:

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt good about it overall I think, but I prepared A TON. This was the only interview I got (up until Sherbrooke very recently) so I wasn't taking anything for granted. 

Comments: This is my billionth time applying, and my first/only interview. I was ready to give up until my bosses convinced me to do another bachelor's to improve my grades. For anyone who didn't get in and is lurking here, people will often share publicly that the put in no effort to get in or "just went with the flow" for MMIs -- DON'T. Prepare, prepare, prepare.

Excited to see everyone who got in in August and everyone else down the road :) Keep at it folks.

Congrats! Happy I wont be the only oldfart in our class heh

1 hour ago, OldFart said:

Congratulations, this is very inspiring!! Would you mind sharing how exactly you prepared for the MMI and also if you thought of refusing your invitation for usherb? Thanks and congrats again!!:D

Hi @OldFart! Congratulation on your acceptance!! Ok, so can I ask in what domain you did that second UG, if you don't mind me asking? I am so amazed at such high gpas!  Any tips to achieve such an amazing gpa? Its seems impossible for me to attain those kind of grades. I have like a 3.86 or 7 and no idea how I could get it higher even by taking a 2nd UG! You can pm me if you want!!