Premed 101 Forums

McGill MDCM Fall 2022 Acceptance/Rejection/Waitlist Thread

jashering

10 hours ago, hkhkhkhk said:

Congratulations, this is very inspiring!! Would you mind sharing how exactly you prepared for the MMI and also if you thought of refusing your invitation for usherb? Thanks and congrats again!!:D

Thank you so much! To prepare for MMIs: 1) I made sure I had strong answers for all the standard interview questions ("Why do you want to be a doctor", "Name your 3 biggest weaknesses", etc.). It's rare that someone will ask you these directly in any interview (MMI for med or not) but you will be a big doofus if you don't have a good answer to these. Also, practicing these gives you experiences/themes to draw on for similar questions.
2) Some good friends did some mock MMIs stations for me (e.g. "You work at a clinic and a patient is calling in with a complaint") which was really helpful to get a feel for what the MMI would be like via Zoom.
3) I paid for MMI prep. On principle, I'm not a fan (they're expensive and provide an unfair advantage to those with the means to pay), but again this was my only interview, and I wanted to give myself the best chance possible. I found it helpful just to get a different perspective/more practice, and to screw up with someone I didn't know very well, to make it easier to practice with others.
4) I read the "bee-moh" med school interview prep book. It's a short, easy read, that gives you some tips. It costs a dollar or something on Amazon. 
5) When I couldn't practice with others, I took videos of myself answering questions, just to pick up on any unflattering quirks/see where I could improve.

All of this is overkill, but in retrospect obviously I would say it was worth it. I think they tell you not to prepare on the McGill website, but based on others who have gone through the process before (and been refused, then accepted), they found this misleading.

10 hours ago, backinschool said:

Hi @OldFart! Congratulation on your acceptance!! Ok, so can I ask in what domain you did that second UG, if you don't mind me asking? I am so amazed at such high gpas!  Any tips to achieve such an amazing gpa? Its seems impossible for me to attain those kind of grades. I have like a 3.86 or 7 and no idea how I could get it higher even by taking a 2nd UG! You can pm me if you want!!

My second bachelor's was in psychology. No sugar coating this, doing a second bachelor's just for grades was a grind and it sucked lol. Psych was a good fit for me based on my previous work experience, and something I could still get something out of if med didn't work out. If you go this route, pick something you're interested in and you think you have a chance at excelling at. Then hit the books :) 

Thought I would share too if this can help ^_^

TIME STAMP: 11:30 am on march 31st (after 10:30 I was a bit stressed by having no news, not gonna lie)

Result: Admitted (with condition)

Casper Quartile: 4

GPA: 4.27/4.3 (4.0/4.0 on McGill's scale)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Honnestly, I had mixed feelings. I tend to be very hard on myself.

Current year of study: 3rd year B Sc

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comments: I was so happy that I didn't think of posting it yesterday! I dropped my phone when I saw the results!! I wish the best of luck to everyone in this process. 

Hello everyone,

So here are my infos

TIME STAMP: 8:24 AM (felt like forever)

Result: Admitted

Casper Quartile: 2nd (poorlyyyyyy but I guess everything is possible :))

GPA: 3.9

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I actually had soooooo much fun. It was an incredible experience with everyone there. Certainly sometimes it was stressful but so worthy!!!!!! 

Current year of study: 4th year of Biomedical Sciences option Neurosciences at uOttawa (Final year...THANK GOD)

IP/OOP/International: IP 

Comments: Mmmmh what can I say except it feels surreal right now. My feelings : Happy and Blessed :wub:!

P.S. I really wanted to take a moment to thank Premed 101's Team and Members. All your help, infos and support gave me the strength to fight for this. So THANK YOU. 

TIME STAMP: 10 am

Result: Admitted

Casper Quartile: 3

GPA: 3.9x

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt it went quite well. Practiced a bit beforehand with friends and family, which I thought was helpful. 

Current year of study: I have two bachelors and a graduate degree, and have been working now for a few years

4 hours ago, OldFart said:

Thank you so much! To prepare for MMIs: 1) I made sure I had strong answers for all the standard interview questions ("Why do you want to be a doctor", "Name your 3 biggest weaknesses", etc.). It's rare that someone will ask you these directly in any interview (MMI for med or not) but you will be a big doofus if you don't have a good answer to these. Also, practicing these gives you experiences/themes to draw on for similar questions.
2) Some good friends did some mock MMIs stations for me (e.g. "You work at a clinic and a patient is calling in with a complaint") which was really helpful to get a feel for what the MMI would be like via Zoom.
3) I paid for MMI prep. On principle, I'm not a fan (they're expensive and provide an unfair advantage to those with the means to pay), but again this was my only interview, and I wanted to give myself the best chance possible. I found it helpful just to get a different perspective/more practice, and to screw up with someone I didn't know very well, to make it easier to practice with others.
4) I read the "bee-moh" med school interview prep book. It's a short, easy read, that gives you some tips. It costs a dollar or something on Amazon. 
5) When I couldn't practice with others, I took videos of myself answering questions, just to pick up on any unflattering quirks/see where I could improve.

All of this is overkill, but in retrospect obviously I would say it was worth it. I think they tell you not to prepare on the McGill website, but based on others who have gone through the process before (and been refused, then accepted), they found this misleading.

My second bachelor's was in psychology. No sugar coating this, doing a second bachelor's just for grades was a grind and it sucked lol. Psych was a good fit for me based on my previous work experience, and something I could still get something out of if med didn't work out. If you go this route, pick something you're interested in and you think you have a chance at excelling at. Then hit the books :) 

Thanks so much for this detailed answer and all the tips!! Congrats again on your acceptance! 

TIME STAMP: probably in the morning but only checked when I got home from work at 5pm

Result: Waitlisted #58 MTL; #43 OTA

Casper Quartile: 4th

GPA: 3.92/4.0    (2nd bachelor's degree)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): These were my first MMIs ever, I had a lot of fun during the interview day. I really had a good feeling before, during and after the interview. That was up until of course I started second guessing everything. The fact that I work full-time helped me not think about it so much and so overall I felt pretty okay about how I did in the MMIs. I prepared a lot beforehand doing scenarios with different people. I got advice from some med students and constructive criticism on how I could improve. Anyhoo, if there’s one thing I can say to cheer myself up is that I can confidently say I gave it my all and prepared as best as I could. I don’t think I can blame myself for not doing enough, so I guess I should be happy about that. 

Current year of study: working full-time (I applied based on my second bachelor’s degree that I completed in April 2021)

Comments: I have to get over feeling sad about this and remember how incredibly shocked and grateful I was to receive an interview from McGill in the first place. It was my first time interviewing ever after years of applying. Anyway I need to put all my energy in preparing for French interviews now and hope for the best

On 3/31/2022 at 1:18 PM, ceelbe said:

TIME STAMP: 10:30am

Result: Waitlist MTL #4  

Casper Quartile: 4th

GPA: 3.91/4 (professional degree)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt really good about more than half the stations and felt meh/average about the others. Overall, I left the MMI feeling pretty confident and had fun doing it. 

Current year of study:  Completed undergrad

Comments:  I know 4th spot on WL is great news because chances are I’m in but man the wait until it moves is going to be killer! Hoping to get in and meet all of you! :) 

Been seeing you around for quite a while now; I'm genuinely happy for you and optimistic seeing your position on the waitlist! Crossing fingers you get in~

TIME STAMP: 9:00 AM (yesterday morning, obvs)

Casper Quartile: 4th

GPA: 3.86 (Medicine GPA according to the workbook, though this seemed to include science prereq courses that I took as an independent student.... I think my real undergrad GPA was something like 3.75)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA):  I felt like I performed a solid 8/10 insofar as communication and listening are concerned; 9/10 in terms of empathy, attitude and professionality; 5/10 for problem-solving and analyzing; 10/10 for authenticity. I really just tried to be as honest and real as possible in all scenarios. I felt good right afterwards, but definitely experienced the typical 'coulda, shoulda, woulda' regrets and cringed at some of the things I thought I said over the following 6 weeks. But then I just reminded myself that I was being honest and did my best the whole way through, so what else could I do?

Current year of study: Graduated in 2006

Comments: I am an older (oldest?) candidate, liberal arts major who spent most of my adult life working a few careers (teacher, professional musician/songwriter, marketing director) and generally spent my time trying to understand the human condition and connecting with other people. (Hey @OldFart! I hear you on many counts! Love the username!) I decided in my mid-thirties to become a physician so that I could help other people and serve the community while challenging myself intellectually. With no science background I had to study my arse off while working full-time to learn organic chemistry, calculus, mechanics, optics, etc. to get the basic prereqs to qualify for McGill. After several failed applications (including even a Masters in OT application), I resigned from a well-paid, cushy marketing job at the beginning of the pandemic and put my heart where my mouth was and became a medical orderly at a CHSLD. Aside from the obvious tragedies and suffering, jumping off the deep end like this was a fantastic experience that only reaffirmed my desire to help others in healthcare. While it has taken me several years, I can finally, happily say that this quixotic pursuit has paid off. Here's to the underdogs out there who are pursuing this! And to everyone else: good on you, too; you are all undoubtedly great people (if you don't believe that, try to think more about it). Above all, be kind to yourselves and others. From what I have personally experienced, this is an almost non-sensical journey. You have to embrace the absurd as much as believing in yourself. It's a tricky wave to surf. Really excited to start this next half of my life and meet many of you in the flesh! <3 

26 minutes ago, notacliche said:

GPA: 3.86 (Medicine GPA according to the workbook, though this seemed to include science prereq courses that I took as an independent student.... I think my real undergrad GPA was something like 3.75)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA):  I felt like I performed a solid 8/10 insofar as communication and listening are concerned; 9/10 in terms of empathy, attitude and professionality; 5/10 for problem-solving and analyzing; 10/10 for authenticity. I really just tried to be as honest and real as possible in all scenarios. I felt good right afterwards, but definitely experienced the typical 'coulda, shoulda, woulda' regrets and cringed at some of the things I thought I said over the following 6 weeks. But then I just reminded myself that I was being honest and did my best the whole way through, so what else could I do?

Comments: I am an older (oldest?) candidate, liberal arts major who spent most of my adult life working a few careers (teacher, professional musician/songwriter, marketing director) and generally spent my time trying to understand the human condition and connecting with other people. (Hey @OldFart! I hear you on many counts! Love the username!) I decided in my mid-thirties to become a physician so that I could help other people and serve the community while challenging myself intellectually. With no science background I had to study my arse off while working full-time to learn organic chemistry, calculus, mechanics, optics, etc. to get the basic prereqs to qualify for McGill. After several failed applications (including even a Masters in OT application), I resigned from a well-paid, cushy marketing job at the beginning of the pandemic and put my heart where my mouth was and became a medical orderly at a CHSLD. Aside from the obvious tragedies and suffering, jumping off the deep end like this was a fantastic experience that only reaffirmed my desire to help others in healthcare. While it has taken me several years, I can finally, happily say that this quixotic pursuit has paid off. Here's to the underdogs out there who are pursuing this! And to everyone else: good on you, too; you are all undoubtedly great people (if you don't believe that, try to think more about it). Above all, be kind to yourselves and others. From what I have personally experienced, this is an almost non-sensical journey. You have to embrace the absurd as much as believing in yourself. It's a tricky wave to surf. Really excited to start this next half of my life and meet many of you in the flesh! <3 

I think I've heard your story in the info sessions pre interview. I am sure you are deserving and true to your values. Congrats for getting in! 

2 hours ago, notacliche said:

Hey @notacliche, I thought I was going to be oldest one! Totally got an account on here just to say that. Looking forward to meeting everyone this summer :)

TIME STAMP: Around 9AM

Casper Quartile: 4th quartile

GPA: 4.0

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): First time interviewing and wasn't too sure about my performance and there were always some doubt, but I think I did relatively well on most of the stations although one of them was definitely more difficult imo. I practiced a lot with friends, groups, family, listenned to podcast, etc. 

Current year of study: Final year of psychology 

Comments: Extremely overwhelmed and greatful for this opportunity. Reading all your stories and how you guys went through all these hurdles to reach this goal is super touching. Can't wait to meet everyone this summer !

TIME STAMP:  Around 10:30 am 

Result: Admitted with condition

GPA: 3.81

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Did not feel good after. I tend to be very critical and hard on myself. 

Current year of study: Graduated BSc in 2018, Graduated MSc in 2021, Started a second undergrad but was not basis of admission

Comments: I hope that sharing my journey can help someone. I have been applying for the past 5 years. I received an interview invite 5 years ago and got refused post-interview. After receiving my ranking, I scored in the top ~25% but my prereqs were so low that I was refused (please be rest assured that as I type this interviews are now worth 100%). I had not received another interview invite until this year. Between my last interview and now, I took 1.5 years to redo all 7 prereqs and then completed a masters. At the end of my masters I was at a cross-road - start a PhD with my supervisor on a project that I absolutely love (and in a program that I love) with financial stability, or start a second bachelor in hopes of improving my GPA given that average GPAs are extremely strong. Option 2 also meant that there was no guarantee I would drastically improve my GPA and it was an option with a lot of sacrifice. However, if I improved my GPA it would potentially help my application. After some thinking I decided to proceed with that option because medicine was my dream and I did not want to have any regrets. I applied this year thinking that I would not get an interview again since my second undergrad would only count as of next cycle. But I ended up getting one and getting in.

Throughout my journey, I read many beautiful stories of applicants that also took a little longer to get in. If you are on a similar path, I was once in your shoes. I remember reading the stories thinking that it would never happen to me. But I also had a little feeling inside of me telling me to continue. Trust that little light inside of you. If anyone has any questions or needs advice, please never hesitate to reach out. 

1 hour ago, medonedayyyyy said:

TIME STAMP:  Around 10:30 am 

GPA: 3.81

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Did not feel good after. I tend to be very critical and hard on myself. 

Current year of study: Graduated BSc in 2018, Graduated MSc in 2021, Started a second undergrad but was not basis of admission

Comments: I hope that sharing my journey can help someone. I have been applying for the past 5 years. I received an interview invite 5 years ago and got refused post-interview. After receiving my ranking, I scored in the top ~25% but my prereqs were so low that I was refused (please be rest assured that as I type this interviews are now worth 100%). I had not received another interview invite until this year. Between my last interview and now, I took 1.5 years to redo all 7 prereqs and completed a masters. At the end of my masters I was at a cross-road - start a PhD with my supervisor on a project that I absolutely love (and in a program that I love) with financial stability, or start a second bachelor in hopes of improving my GPA given that average GPAs are extremely strong. Option 2 also meant that there was no guarantee I would drastically improve my GPA and it was an option with a lot of sacrifice. However, if I improved my GPA it would potentially help my application. After some thinking I decided to proceed with that option because medicine was my dream and I did not want to have any regrets. I applied this year thinking that I would not get an interview again since my second undergrad would only count as of next cycle. But I ended up getting one and getting in.

Throughout my journey, I read many beautiful stories of applicants that also took a little longer to get in. If you are on a similar path, I was once in your shoes. I remember reading the stories thinking that it would never happen to me. But I also had a little feeling inside of me telling me to continue. Trust that little light inside of you. If anyone has any questions or needs advice, please never hesitate to reach out. 

Amazing, congratulations to you!!

On 3/31/2022 at 6:22 PM, kopemat230 said:

Casper Quartile: 4th. Had prepared a lot for the Casper test, mostly by using the p*r*e*p_m*a*t*c*h website. Would recommand B*E_M*O*'s book to understand how to structure one's answers.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:22 PM, kopemat230 said:

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Felt decent. I had practiced a lot for the Casper and the MMIs. Prepared by looking at B*E_M*O's book on the subject, as well as Medical School Interviews (by Picard and Lee) and The Secrets Of The Multiple Mini Interview (by Leah Feldman). Of all three, I believe that Picard and Lee's book was the most helpful, followed closely by Leah Feldman's and B*E_M*O's.

On 4/1/2022 at 4:38 AM, OldFart said:

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt good about it overall I think, but I prepared A TON. This was the only interview I got (up until Sherbrooke very recently) so I wasn't taking anything for granted. 

On 4/1/2022 at 4:38 AM, OldFart said:

For anyone who didn't get in and is lurking here, people will often share publicly that the put in no effort to get in or "just went with the flow" for MMIs -- DON'T. Prepare, prepare, prepare.

On 3/31/2022 at 5:51 PM, xdfghj1234 said:

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I practiced a lot

Congratulations to you all on your acceptance! It's a truly amazing feat, and I hope to meet many of you soon in person :)

I've copied some of the comments above that I found really rang true for me during the application process. I would also add Doing Right for reading, and using a timer & video camera when practicing alone for MMI. Hopefully this can help future applicants prepare!

I have a question- for those who listed "admitted" as opposed to "admitted with condition", does it really just say "admitted" in your minerva, or do you actually have "admitted with condition"?

The reason I'm asking is because in my minerva and in my acceptance letter, it says admitted with condition. However I have no outstanding courses/courses in progress, and in my acceptance letter there's no mention of anything unusual other than the immunizations/cardiac life support training.

At the following glossary McGill describes two situations associated with the "admitted with condition" offer, none of which applies to me:

https://www.mcgill.ca/undergraduate-admissions/apply/admission-glossary

So I'm wondering if the "conditions" in my minerva and my acceptance letter simply refer to the immunizations/basic cardiac life support, which should apply to everybody else as well.... or if there's something I'm missing and should contact adcom about.

Thank you, and congratulations again! :) 

15 hours ago, MDee2B said:

Congratulations to you all on your acceptance! It's a truly amazing feat, and I hope to meet many of you soon in person :)

I've copied some of the comments above that I found really rang true for me during the application process. I would also add Doing Right for reading, and using a timer & video camera when practicing alone for MMI. Hopefully this can help future applicants prepare!

I have a question- for those who listed "admitted" as opposed to "admitted with condition", does it really just say "admitted" in your minerva, or do you actually have "admitted with condition"?

The reason I'm asking is because in my minerva and in my acceptance letter, it says admitted with condition. However I have no outstanding courses/courses in progress, and in my acceptance letter there's no mention of anything unusual other than the immunizations/cardiac life support training.

At the following glossary McGill describes two situations associated with the "admitted with condition" offer, none of which applies to me:

So I'm wondering if the "conditions" in my minerva and my acceptance letter simply refer to the immunizations/basic cardiac life support, which should apply to everybody else as well.... or if there's something I'm missing and should contact adcom about.

Thank you, and congratulations again! :) 

Hey! Congrats! 

To answer your question, the conditions are listed here :

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/newstudents/conditions

Hope this helps!

The link should be in your official acceptance letter as well on Minerva :)

2 hours ago, 1997_axrlt said:

Hey! Congrats! 

To answer your question, the conditions are listed here :

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/newstudents/conditions

Hope this helps!

The link should be in your official acceptance letter as well on Minerva :)

Hey, thank you for your reply!

yep I'm aware of the conditions listed at the new students link you pasted. My confusion was stemming more from the glossary I had mentioned describing the different types of admission. I've attached a screenshot.

The complete glossary can be found at the link :

As you can see, there's a distinction between "Admitted" and "Admitted With Condition".

Since some of you (yourself included!) posted "Admitted" on this thread and not "Admitted With Condition", I was confused about the discrepancy, since I am "Admitted With Condition" but other than the usual vax/cpr outlined here (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/newstudents/conditionsI have no other conditions that would apply to my case.

On 4/2/2022 at 5:43 AM, 1997_axrlt said:

TIME STAMP: Around 9AM

In the meantime, someone else has reached out to me here via dm, saying that while they originally posted their result here as "Admitted", it was in fact "Admitted With Condition" on minerva and they will edit their post. So the conclusion I'm leaning towards is that the McGill glossary is simply out of date and/or not applicable this cycle, and that there are no additional special conditions that apply to me, other than what's listed in the letter. 

Thanks, and congrats to you again!

UPDATE: I'm just realizing now that at the top of the admissions glossary website, it says "note that this terminology may not apply to dentistry, law, medicine and music." So there we go! Confusion resolved :)

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 8.36.35 AM.png

9 hours ago, MDee2B said:

Hey, thank you for your reply!

yep I'm aware of the conditions listed at the new students link you pasted. My confusion was stemming more from the glossary I had mentioned describing the different types of admission. I've attached a screenshot.

The complete glossary can be found at the link :

As you can see, there's a distinction between "Admitted" and "Admitted With Condition".

Since some of you (yourself included!) posted "Admitted" on this thread and not "Admitted With Condition", I was confused about the discrepancy, since I am "Admitted With Condition" but other than the usual vax/cpr outlined here (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/newstudents/conditionsI have no other conditions that would apply to my case.

In the meantime, someone else has reached out to me here via dm, saying that while they originally posted their result here as "Admitted", it was in fact "Admitted With Condition" on minerva and they will edit their post. So the conclusion I'm leaning towards is that the McGill glossary is simply out of date and/or not applicable this cycle, and that there are no additional special conditions that apply to me, other than what's listed in the letter. 

Thanks, and congrats to you again!

UPDATE: I'm just realizing now that at the top of the admissions glossary website, it says "note that this terminology may not apply to dentistry, law, medicine and music." So there we go! Confusion resolved :)

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 8.36.35 AM.png

Yes, I was also 'Admitted with condition' - wasnt being precise in my post. I believe everyone who is admitted is admitted with condition. 

I was unsure about writing this but I figured it may be useful to someone one day and nobody with a rejection seems to have written anything in the thread.

TIME STAMP: March 31th, Sometime in the morning.

Result: Instant rejection :’(

Casper Quartile: 3rd (French Casper)

GPA: 3.80/4.0 (Biology degree, the one counting for admission), 4.0. (Master degree), not sure about my combined GPA from Bio+OT+PT.

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): It was not my most enjoyable experience and I didn’t feel so good after and from my rejection it was obviously terrible. These were my first MMIs ever, my first 2 stations were extremely hard and the second one felt unfair since due to my education and my background, I had no way to get the answer. I also had like 2 50% midterm exams and many assignments due the same week which did not help my focus. I had prepared like crazy but my preparation seems to not have made any difference. I have no idea what I could have done to prepare more other than paying for professional coaching but I always felt uneasy about this.  

Current year of study: 8th of university… 2nd year in physical therapy.

Comments: Genuinely feel crushed, devastated and somewhat embarrassed. Medicine is my childhood dream and I kept chasing it while trying other things like research, occupational therapy, physical therapy that never really satisfy me and can’t make me stop wanting to be a physician. I had major health problem last year which negatively impacted my Casper performance, so I also got a rejection from the the French schools and I’m quite tired from all those cycles of admission and I’m scared of going through the whole process again. I emailed McGill after getting my rejection because I had some questions about the admission process and they actually told me that they “found my file very interesting” and that they “strongly advise me to apply again next cycle” because I have a “competitive file”. They also told me to contact the SACE Office for support since I’m part of the black candidate pathway. So, in spite of all my negative feelings I suppose should work to make my application even better to apply another time… anyway a big congratulations to anyone who got in, I know all too well the stress, work and sacrifices you must have made to finally reach your goal.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:58 PM, The Doctor said:

I was unsure about writing this but I figured it may be useful to someone one day and nobody with a rejection seems to have written anything in the thread.

GPA: 3.80/4.0 (Biology degree, the one counting for admission), 4.0. (Master degree), not sure about my combined GPA from Bio+OT+PT.

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): It was not my most enjoyable experience and I didn’t feel so good after and from my rejection it was obviously terrible. These were my first MMIs ever, my first 2 stations were extremely hard and the second one felt unfair since due to my education and my background, I had no way to get the answer. I also had like 2 50% midterm exams and many assignments due the same week which did not help my focus. I had prepared like crazy but my preparation seems to not have made any difference. I have no idea what I could have done to prepare more other than paying for professional coaching but I always felt uneasy about this.  

Comments: Genuinely feel crushed, devastated and somewhat embarrassed. Medicine is my childhood dream and I kept chasing it while trying other things like research, occupational therapy, physical therapy that never really satisfy me and can’t make me stop wanting to be a physician. I had major health problem last year which negatively impacted my Casper performance, so I also got a rejection from the the French schools and I’m quite tired from all those cycles of admission and I’m scared of going through the whole process again. I emailed McGill after getting my rejection because I had some questions about the admission process and they actually told me that they “found my file very interesting” and that they “strongly advise me to apply again next cycle” because I have a “competitive file”. They also told me to contact the SACE Office for support since I’m part of the black candidate pathway. So, in spite of all my negative feelings I suppose should work to make my application even better to apply another time… anyway a big congratulations to anyone who got in, I know all too well the stress, work and sacrifices you must have made to finally reach your goal.

Thank you for sharing this! Despite it not being easy to voice I appreciate your honesty and believe you are helping many others by being candid - Best of luck moving forward, I think I speak for everyone on this forum when I tell you that you have our full support and you should not give up; your getting an interview speaks volume and your experiences thus far are extremely valuable! Keep us updated next cycle x

8 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Hey, first of all keep your head up. Pat yourself on the back. Seriously. I know how what it's like to get rejected - it feels so final, like a complete failure. But in fact, you have so many positive things already going for you; they cannot be overlooked.

- the faculty themselves confirmed you have a competitive file

- your gpa is fine; proof = you got an interview

- your casper is fine; proof = you got an interview

- your cv is fine; proof = you got an interview

Do you see how much you've accomplished? Bravo!

So you're actually almost there, there's only area really needing improvement (based on what you wrote) and that's the interview. The majority of the elements of your application are clearly sound; just one thing needs improvement. That's a fantastic accomplishment, and it's also great news because you have identified exactly where you need to improve moving forward.

You say you prepared a ton for the interviews, but maybe it's the way you prepared that needs to change. In my experience it's not the answer to any one question itself, but rather the way you approach the station that matters most. In a previous post I pasted some reading tips I found helpful to prepare for the MMI; among them Doing Right, Medical School Interviews (by Picard and Lee) and The Secrets Of The Multiple Mini Interview (by Leah Feldman). I would also strongly recommend reading @Arztin's guide for the MMI in its entirety which you can find on this forum.

Again, congratulations - you clearly have a very strong candidacy, with the majority elements of your application already at the top of the pack. Proof = you got an interview. Now you just have one area left to work on and bring up to speed. Good luck - you're almost there, you can do it!