Premed 101 Forums

Your favorite rotations in Canada ?

Hi,

I will soon be picking out my electives. What have been your favorite rotations ? I'd love to know the speciality, clinic/hospital and also what university it was. Also, the reasons you liked that rotation, your personal experience etc. I'm a MS3 at University of Sherbrooke, so I will pick out at least 2 or 3 months of electives in Quebec, but for the rest I would like trying out a rotation in another province. I would like to add that I'm interested in rotations in urban areas, with a preference for big cities. I'm not really interested in rural medicine.

Thanks

Everyone has different preferences.

heres my guide to the lifestyle min maxers:

I would avoid anything surgery, anything internal except some select subspecialties, anything peds. So I did hospitalist family, radiology (is really good to do if you dont want to do radiology - basically a vacation), rad onc, med onc. You can also do allergy, endo, ophto, medical genetics, path, and psych depending on where you are. I ordered the specialties from most chill to least.

30 minutes ago, anonymouspls said:

Everyone has different preferences.

heres my guide to the lifestyle min maxers:

I would avoid anything surgery, anything internal except some select subspecialties, anything peds. So I did hospitalist family, radiology (is really good to do if you dont want to do radiology - basically a vacation), rad onc, med onc. You can also do allergy, endo, ophto, medical genetics, path, and psych depending on where you are. I ordered the specialties from most chill to least.

:O Why is radiology chill? I heard the residency and staff life is brutal. How is it different for a clerk? Also are you talking about diagnostic or interventional?

@bearded frog @Edict I know everyone has different preferences, which is why I asked for your experience and the reason you liked the rotation, so I can compare it with my interests. I wanted to try a big city out of Quebec for once like maybe Toronto or Vancouver (for medical purposes of course. not tourism related at all LOL) was wondering if there were some rotations with nice medicine and a healthy environment. So if you do have any ideas that would be appreciated. I could check them out online and decide if they're worth a shot.

I did an inpatient psych rotation at Parkwood in London. Basically come in at 10am, check in on a few inpatients, go for lunch, come back, dither around for another 2 hours, then go home or go fishing in the river there. Good walleye, bass, pike in those rivers.

I hated doing rotation Toronto. Rode the subway daily and once it shut down so had to squeeze onto a shuttle bus packed fuller than sardines. MH people in subway dancing half naked. Street smelled of urine near St Mikes. Did a pathology rotation there. Residents were nice. Staff could care less, barely learned anything there. The microscope they give to med students are from the days of Virchow and should go to the British museum instead. 

5 hours ago, p12345lu said:

:O Why is radiology chill? I heard the residency and staff life is brutal. How is it different for a clerk? Also are you talking about diagnostic or interventional?

I am talking about rotating through it as a clerk. Radiology is very much not chill otherwise haha.

if you are a lifestyle enjoyer like myself I would very much recommend rad onc for residency and staff life. I am currently a rad onc resident and my decision has been reinforced even more through my off service year.