Premed 101 Forums

2010 Interview Discussion

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha yes. Sorry for the confusion guys:

10PS/11VR/12BS/R = me = interview.

I really feel like it's a 10/10/10/R, wasn't that what it was 2 years ago?

I feel like the R cut-off 2 years ago led to a somewhat different interview pool. Last year, it seemed like everyone with a Western interview interviewed at Queen's as well.

I believe it was 9/9/9/R a few years ago with some total sum requirement

(30?). Seems a bit higher this year, which I find a bit surprising.

Based on what we have.... and assuming these are strict cutoffs applied equally throughout the pool....

The absolute highest the MCAT cut could be is 10,10,10 R (31 Overall)

But we've yet to have anyone with 9's in sciences and a 10 in verbal and R actually get rejected..... and we've yet to see any totals below 31 meeting the 10 in VR and R.... so that could be lower too.

In 2007/08 the cutoffs were either 9,9,9 R or 9,10,9 R with below a 30 overall (law will tell ya, I think he had 9,10,9 T (28))and that gave them 500 interviees compared to the 760 we had last year. So in all likelihood, the interview pool has shrunk.... or people are just ruining the MCAT these days lol.

I normally don't complain...but an R cut-off is mucho retarded. I'd feel much better if I had been rejected because of my 10BS.

For some reason queens has always believed in the WS or general writing ability (high WS scores, interview day essays or application essays). They really do believe it is important.

I think part of the problem for applicants is they are the only school that does push for such a high WS score. It is ignored a lot in the states, and the closest cut off to it is the Q at western (seems like there is big differences in the work needed to get an R vs Q). Hard to support working so hard on WS when only one school really pushes for it.

Back to an R eh? It seems like the main difference between this year and last year was the R instead of Q (aside from those few anomalies), hopefully this means at least for you lucky ones that they have a more optimistic interviewee:seat ratio instead of that stupid 760:100.

Good luck! For those who didn't make the cut-off with stellar stats, don't give up hope, Western among other schools are still a great option!

For some reason queens has always believed in the WS or general writing ability (high WS scores, interview day essays or application essays). They really do believe it is important.

I think part of the problem for applicants is they are the only school that does push for such a high WS score. It is ignored a lot in the states, and the closest cut off to it is the Q at western (seems like there is big differences in the work needed to get an R vs Q). Hard to support working so hard on WS when only one school really pushes for it.

Might also be a bit more subjectivity in writing score marking: hard to nail down a Q work versus an R work consistently.

I guess the thing with Queens is that it rewards students that took the MCAT more than once -> do they take the best overall MCAT or best overall sections?

Fortunately, there are several schools in Ontario and they focus on different things...U of T perhaps being the best in terms of all-around file review.

I would understand an emphasis on writing scores...it may be good for those who would pursue clinical research and may be publishing...but it still wouldn't make sense to assume only 10% (relatively speaking) of the applicants possess that sort of writing ability

Oh sure - it's not that I am the diminishing the importance of what WS represents, it's just that the WS score they need is way out of proportion to the much more average scores they require in all the other sections. It is particularly empathised. I just find that a bit strange :)

Oh sure - it's not that I am the diminishing the importance of what WS represents, it's just that the WS score they need is way out of proportion to the much more average scores they require in all the other sections. It is particularly empathised. I just find that a bit strange :)

Interesting, considering they don't look at written essays first.

1) Invited

2) GPA

cgpa 3.92 (3rd year undergrad)

3) MCAT (PS/VR/BS/WS)

10/11/10/S

4) UG or Grad?

3rd year undergrad)

from discworld. It in one shot has both the PS and BS at 10. Good clearance case as well - the score sum is 31

hey rmorelan,

thanks for quoting my unedited message. makes me sound like a total idiot lol.

do you guys think emails are going to come out every day? I hate feeling like this everyday and through out the holidays! (on the bright side, I still haven't gotten a rejection so I have some hope to hold on too!lol)

there is fairly strong evidence that its 10/10/10/R this year so you can know how you fare and rest easy now.

I think it's safe to expect a rejection if you don't have a min 10/10/10/R (31 total)....... now I will be waiting for that email :(

I really think people are jumping to conclusion too quickly.

10,10,10 R (31) is the highest it could possibly be given the posts we have so far.... (again, assuming it's a straightforward hard cutoff)

We have no evidence that someone with a 30 overall, or a 9 in either science but 10 and R in verbal and writing, will be rejected

There's still much more to figure out. We haven't even scratched the surface on GPA.

R for Ridiculous :P

This doesn't seem like rolling admissions, more like we will let you know in mid December but have until mid January to make sure we didn't forget anyone.

it's very harsh to give straight rejections for people below R, especially when it's really close (i.e. Q) with otherwise stupendously high MCAT scores. i thought if anything they would give these people part-rejections (i.e. call them back if interview spots open up).

It doesn't seem to be 10/10/10/R. Someone got a 9PS and got an interview. From the stats thread:

I feel horrible for those who got rejected, but I can confirm that they are going as low as 9 in PS because I received an interview offer:

1) Invited

2) GPA = 3.98 (most recent 2 years)

3) 9/10/12/R

4) Undergrad

it's very harsh to give straight rejections for people below R, especially when it's really close (i.e. Q) with otherwise stupendously high MCAT scores. i thought if anything they would give these people part-rejections (i.e. call them back if interview spots open up).

Raising the cut-offs for writing or verbal is probably the most efficient way to cut large numbers of pre-med applicants. Seeing as how strength in the sciences seems to be fairly ubiquitous, it makes more sense to take people better in the non-science sections than favour those with exceptionally high science scores.

Archived