Premed 101 Forums

2010 Interview Discussion

it's very harsh to give straight rejections for people below R, especially when it's really close (i.e. Q) with otherwise stupendously high MCAT scores. i thought if anything they would give these people part-rejections (i.e. call them back if interview spots open up).

GPA=3.98

MCAT = 13/11/14/Q

Rejected

Very harsh!

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what we've got it looks like:

3.78 (the lowest we've seen so far) and 9* PS/ 10 VR / 10* BS/ R

* = Haven't seen lower than this number accepted/rejected with a 10 VR and an R.

The problem is that we can't be sure if they use cGPA or last two years. My last two years were actually lower than a 3.78 if that counts for anything.

Hey guys,

I don't understand why so many of you are trying to find the cutoff. Does it really matter? Sit back, relax, and wait for interview/rejection.

Simple.

Haha to each their own.... but if I can figure out whether I have an interview or not a month before I might potentially be contacted, my curiosity would sure prefer it.

It's also nice for future years, even if the cutoffs change, it's nice to have an idea what the crowd before you was dealing with.

However, if you can just sit back and relax and let it come to you... all the better to you.... I commend your easy going attitude.

seeing as how they tried R a couple of years ago, i wonder if they have tracked the progress of that entering class and concluded it makes a difference. I bring this up because perhaps now the R is no longer an experiement and here to stay.

Of course, I'm hoping there's more to the R than just reducing interviewees (they could have done this last year too).

who knows, but something to think about for those going forward for those re-writing and re-applying.

is everyone who applied supposed to have gotten an email?

If you applied to Queen's this year, then you should have already received two emails from them: one being an admissions update and another being an admissions result.

Then as of today, they are releasing interview notifications, until January 22.

seeing as how they tried R a couple of years ago, i wonder if they have tracked the progress of that entering class and concluded it makes a difference. I bring this up because perhaps now the R is no longer an experiement and here to stay.

Of course, I'm hoping there's more to the R than just reducing interviewees (they could have done this last year too).

who knows, but something to think about for those going forward for those re-writing and re-applying.

I doubt the admissions process is that sophisticated. They probably just played with the MCAT scores until a reasonable applicant pool number was generated.

The problem is that we can't be sure if they use cGPA or last two years. My last two years were actually lower than a 3.78 if that counts for anything.

Queen's uses your cGPA first. Only if you don't meet the cGPA cut-off will they look at your most recent two full time (at least 3.0 courses) years. In the past, the two cut-offs have been different, but we don't know if that is still the case, or has been the case in recent years.

Elaine

Based on new information from Byrne and Sci Girl its looking like the MCAT cutoffs are:

9 PS/10VR/10BS/R (Minimum 30)

These are the lowest scores we've seen in any one section for people who have received an interview. Essentially if you meet these cutoffs it looks like your in good shape...It is very possible that someone could get an invite with a 9/10/9/R (28) but that remains to be seen.

So it looks like I will be re-writing MCAT. :( But I already knew this.

Still haven't gotten an e-mail but obviously I'm not getting an interview.

Oop applicant, graduated May '09:

cGPA: 3.65

Last 2 years: 3.87

MCAT

8PS/11VR/12BS/R = 31R

Whoa, no one said that the 8 in PS would stop someone from getting an interview. Best to just wait and see.

absolutely ridiculous that they're looking for such a high WS score. 10 VR I don't mind, but the WS is probably the most subjective measure of the whole exam! I find it ludicrous that two thirty-minute writing samples responding to one-sentence prompts are enough to disqualify applicants if they don't score within the 90th percentile.

Based on what we've got it looks like:

3.78 (the lowest we've seen so far) and 9* PS/ 10 VR / 10* BS/ R

* = Haven't seen lower than this number accepted/rejected with a 10 VR and an R.

based on the newest post by euphorie

rejected

9/11/9/S

3rd year applicant

it looks like either a 9 bio wont cut it, or you need at least a total of 30. Or both.

it looks like either a 9 bio wont cut it, or you need at least a total of 30. Or both.

Soooo, it looks like a 9 (PS), 10 (VR), 9 (BS), R (WS) and 30.

or 9,10,10 R (30)

I guess there are also some slight possibilities it could be a lower mix of subscores, but I would imagine that to be unlikely with the 10 in VR.

Guess those with blackberrys should not depend on them for emails today to hear if they have an interview....going to have to wait til I am near a computer

FROM THE TORONTO STAR

Independent BlackBerry customers across North and South America have been without email since 3:15 a.m., Research in Motion spokesperson Marisa Conway confirmed this morning to the Star.

Archived