Premed 101 Forums

2010 Interview Discussion

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where are we getting the idea that you need a composite score of 30? Who says a 9/10/10/R isn't good enough?

It's true that a 9PS, 10, 10 (29) hasn't been ruled out.

However, if you look at Queen's cutoffs over the past decade.... it doesn't look like they've ever mismatched the two science scores even when the verbal is different.

But you're right, there is a chance that it could be 29 with that very specific composite.

first MCAt - Aug 25, 2009. VR - 09, BS - 11, PS - 14, R

Second MCAT - Sept 3, 2009. VR - 11, BS - 13, PS - 11, Q

These tests were taken 8 days apart. Look at the variability of this standardized test. Talk about a tough go - missed cuts by 1 pt on each exam. Pretty ticked about the WS score as well.....alot of weight on one single subjective component. I'm also a grad student so hopefully this quashed the talk about any leniency for grads. In the stats thread, I saw other grads who were cut just for the Q.

Sorry to hear it. It's tough to miss out by a single point, twice, and believe me I know.

As for the grads, Queen's will only provide leniency for the G.P.A. If grad students meet the MCAT cutoffs, but not the G.P.A., a subcommittee reviews them and may invite them regardless of missing the G.P.A. cutoff.

Unfortunately however, no leniency is given for the MCAT cuts.

Sorry to hear it. It's tough to miss out by a single point, twice, and believe me I know.

As for the grads, Queen's will only provide leniency for the G.P.A. If grad students meet the MCAT cutoffs, but not the G.P.A., a subcommittee reviews them and may invite them regardless of missing the G.P.A. cutoff.

Unfortunately however, no leniency is given for the MCAT cuts.

yeah - i don't have a beef with that at all. In fact, the grad review is why Queens was my best chance. My beef is with the R. Why not keep minimums at 10s and a Q and bump up the sum total, so that way your not placing emphasis on one category (ex. 10s and a Q and a 33). I can honestly say there was no difference in my writing on the second date, but apparently there was a small difference to someone. I much rather be cut for anything else than this. that's all. I've seen lots of weird things ever since I started applying to medschools but the R stands out the most from admissions criteria. but it is Canada afterall and we're purely numbers.

M is average! It beats S lol....

I think someone already nixed the idea of starting at A....

Yes, you should have a pretty good idea already of whether you're there or not, but it certainly will feel better to have the official e-mail.

Mind you, those that are questionable in the G.P.A. area still have no idea. Last year I had a 3.745 2 year g.p.a. haha thank goodness that's no longer an issue.

Just received an interview invite!

"you have successfully met our requirements for an interview in March 2010."

Interviews are being held on March 7, 8, 28, and 29.

interview booking system is available beginning February 1st, 8:00 am (EST) and will close on February 7th, 11:59 pm (EST).

Anyone notice these dates don't match up with the dates in the first email lol (March 7th and 8th) are a Sunday/Monday, and were March 6th and 7th when they sent the first mass e-mail out.

M is average! It beats S lol....

I think someone already nixed the idea of starting at A....

Yes, you should have a pretty good idea already of whether you're there or not, but it certainly will feel better to have the official e-mail.

Mind you, those that are questionable in the G.P.A. area still have no idea. Last year I had a 3.745 2 year g.p.a. haha thank goodness that's no longer an issue.

true pre-med paranoia cannot be fettered even with the certainty of the MCAT cutoff... there's always a chance you inputed something wrong on OMSAS and your whole application has already been tossed out. It's a possibility.

Be afraid. Be very afraid...

I just called admissions. according to Jennifer, today was the last day for the emails. If you haven't received anything until now, you'll have to wait until after the holidays...

well I guess I wont be constantly refreshing my inbox the next two weeks!lol

Haha, I don't think anyone has gotten anything today?

Either way... on with my holidays... best of luck to you all in the New Year, if you haven't figured it out already.

pleeeez not another "R" year! Not that it really matters for me since I'll be applying next cycle... but I still cringe at the notion that my 37Q + grad degree might not qualify me for an interview next year!

btw, does neone know if Queen's has ever had two consecutive "R" years in a row?

I believe the first R year was the year before last, making this the second. So no, they haven't had two consecutive R years in a row yet.

I really don't understand why it takes them so long to decipher a cut-off and then email everyone who makes the cut-off.

Honestly, it seems like it should take one person one day to do that. Maybe 2 full work days... but really... a whole office of people for 3 months?

hey. don't underestimate the challenge of the all powerful "send" button.

I believe the first R year was the year before last, making this the second. So no, they haven't had two consecutive R years in a row yet.

Although we were hoping that silly R 2 years ago was a fluke - now there is a pattern. I am just going to assume its an R from now on to be safe.

pleeeez not another "R" year! Not that it really matters for me since I'll be applying next cycle... but I still cringe at the notion that my 37Q + grad degree might not qualify me for an interview next year!

btw, does neone know if Queen's has ever had two consecutive "R" years in a row?

Don't feel too bad. Apparently my 41Q isn't good enough either *shrug*. Seems they've put the algorithm that helps mark the WS in charge of admissions too :rolleyes:. Sounds like you were counting on the Queens grad review, but you've still got an awesome MCAT score, and stand to get in somewhere, assuming a decent GPA :)

Anyone notice these dates don't match up with the dates in the first email lol (March 7th and 8th) are a Sunday/Monday, and were March 6th and 7th when they sent the first mass e-mail out.

Ya, I posted about this somewhere earlier. I assume its a typo, it would probably be a lot of work to do it on a Monday because of the number of interviewers they need. Sat & Sun makes more sense.

and to think i was ecstatic when my VR jumped from 9 - 11 on my second MCAT (which i took just for Queens). Little did i know back then it was all for naught with the R coming up. Never thought scoring in the 95% percentile would make me feel so stupid, thats for sure

Merry Christmas!

Archived