Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Wasn't the upgrade supposed to address the ability of bots to sign up? Or are these just better bots?

The speed at which the posts are popping up makes me doubt its an actual person.

oh its a bot.

and yeah it is a war between two computer systems. We upgrade, they upgrade. Usually we can stay ahead of this - someone strangely is really attached to attacking the forum. I mean it doesn't make a lot of sense - wrong audience, wrong language....

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got accepted into the professional program I alluded to in a recent post. It was a great feeling, until I looked at the tuition cost and realized that the program is only one year long, but that year is more expensive than a year of med school in Canada. If I took out a bank loan to attend school, I wouldn't be able to do so for medicine, and hence there would be no point in continuing to apply.

Unfortunately, that means I have to make the decision pretty much here and now - I have three weeks to decide whether to take this offer (with decent job prospects and excellent pay, starting work about a year and a half from now...but it bores me immensely) or hold out and keep applying to medicine. The program was quite competitive, and so a lot of people would be envious of my success, and yet I just can't seem to stop looking at my acceptance letter and making a funny face. It's really quite childish.

Sadly, I don't feel like I have the luxury to selfishly hold out for medicine any longer - I'm going to need to start making money. It all rides on UofT... but I don't remain very hopeful, people like me don't become doctors.

Just got accepted into the professional program I alluded to in a recent post. It was a great feeling, until I looked at the tuition cost and realized that the program is only one year long, but that year is more expensive than a year of med school in Canada. If I took out a bank loan to attend school, I wouldn't be able to do so for medicine, and hence there would be no point in continuing to apply.

Unfortunately, that means I have to make the decision pretty much here and now - I have three weeks to decide whether to take this offer (with decent job prospects and excellent pay, starting work about a year and a half from now...but it bores me immensely) or hold out and keep applying to medicine. The program was quite competitive, and so a lot of people would be envious of my success, and yet I just can't seem to stop looking at my acceptance letter and making a funny face. It's really quite childish.

Sadly, I don't feel like I have the luxury to selfishly hold out for medicine any longer - I'm going to need to start making money. It all rides on UofT... but I don't remain very hopeful, people like me don't become doctors.

I'm pretty sure people like you make the best doctors.

No, don't give up! I've got a rejection hat trick but I'm not stopping yet

Also, maybe I'm missing something but why would you not be able to still afford medicine later? With an acceptance, seems like almost everyone gets quite a large LOC, so not sure why you think you wouldn't be able to afford it later? (though of course I don't know your circumstances, etc.)

No, don't give up! I've got a rejection hat trick but I'm not stopping yet

Also, maybe I'm missing something but why would you not be able to still afford medicine later? With an acceptance, seems like almost everyone gets quite a large LOC, so not sure why you think you wouldn't be able to afford it later? (though of course I don't know your circumstances, etc.)

his/her economic dynamics are not great.

people like me don't become doctors.

Congratulations on the acceptance!

That said, please reconsider how you feel about this all. I'm quite confident you will make a fantastic doctor. Your posts make that very clear.

Honestly, I have told myself the same thing before. That people like me don't become doctors. I believe it a lot of the time still, so it's really hard to feel like this is all worth the time and effort. But I still hope it will be.

I hate that you are - or feel you are - in such a corner, having to weigh practicality against suitability. I have no advice or anything, I am just commiserating. My next application cycle will necessarily be my last, so I may well be in the same position in just over a year, if things don't work out.

So disgusting: After 35 years, federal government takes jobs from developmentally disabled workers

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/after-35-years-federal-government-takes-jobs-from-developmentally-disabled-workers-with-video

Gladys Whincup is losing the $1.15-an-hour job she’s had for 35 years, and she’s devastated

$1.15/hr!!!!

just thinking out loud - not sure why you wouldn't be able to take a loan out for both if needed (250K is a lot of money to play with, even if your new degree is expensive etc).

On a more personal note I don't think our backgrounds are all that different. So I would challenge your assertion that people like you don't become doctors.

For me I had the luxury of applying to medical school even with another career in place. That was actually and advantage I thought.

Tough choices of course - I don't envy you. What ever you chose in the end, do not sell yourself short.

So i was talking to someone at a coffee shop today, and I told them that I'm 25. They said I looked much younger.

I said thanks, and then quickly realized that I'm old enough to take that as a compliment.

Oh I've had those moments, hah. I like getting ID'd now, not that it happens often. When I was 18 and didn't get ID'd, that was awesome.

Archived