Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck Birdy!

-----------

Thanks for the support everyone. Unfortunately as some of you may know, I've got some pressing financial difficulties (or more like my family does) that wouldn't be feasible if I had to also make payments to my LoC. I suppose it's possible to work if I could somehow tack on the med school LoC onto the one I'll be getting for the current program (to avoid a separate payment for that), but there are a lot of variables at play that I can't rationally disregard. In a 'best case scenario' things would work, but I don't think I can afford to take that risk. Mind you I haven't done a thorough financial analysis, but ballparking it, it seems unlikely.

The combination of everything is slowly breaking my spirit, the thought of being able to live a fairly normal life is quite enticing! I don't know if I can give up the promise of livelihood for my family to keep pursuing med for my own selfish reasons. Not to mention, the ole biological clock and all that.

Good luck Birdy!

-----------

Thanks for the support everyone. Unfortunately as some of you may know, I've got some pressing financial difficulties (or more like my family does) that wouldn't be feasible if I had to also make payments to my LoC. I suppose it's possible to work if I could somehow tack on the med school LoC onto the one I'll be getting for the current program (to avoid a separate payment for that), but there are a lot of variables at play that I can't rationally disregard. In a 'best case scenario' things would work, but I don't think I can afford to take that risk. Mind you I haven't done a thorough financial analysis, but ballparking it, it seems unlikely.

The combination of everything is slowly breaking my spirit, the thought of being able to live a fairly normal life is quite enticing! I don't know if I can give up the promise of livelihood for my family to keep pursuing med for my own selfish reasons. Not to mention, the ole biological clock and all that.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but if you get into med, you just transfer your old LOC to your med one and then you don't have to make any payments, just interest, which you can also pay out of the LOC.

I was just on studentawards.com (now known as yconic and I was on there because I have an application in to a program at UBC), and the way people talk on there is sickening. Here are a couple quotes:

1) "Wow, U of T for reputation? Are you an idiot? People I know who graduated from U of T and couldn't get into med school, which is pretty much everyone, are working in business, receptionist, bottom-level jobs. Nobody cares that you went to U of T in the workforce.

-U of T undergrad"

2) "30 percent do get high gpa's and no graduates from UWO and MAC has almost no chance of getting into IVEY League schools. Just tells you how horrible they consider the schools to be."

These quotes are completely random and I just want to make it clear I do not have any negative opinions about any canadian school.

But can you guys believe this? Even after a few minutes of browsing it is apparent that most of the members are uninformed, and a surprisingly alarming number of them are rude too. Could be just a string of bad apples, but I don't know, seems like the negativity is pretty widespread.

Personally, it really makes me appreciate our forum. So grateful to have such a knowledgeable, respectful, and supportive forum here on pm101.

I was just on studentawards.com (now known as yconic and I was on there because I have an application in to a program at UBC), and the way people talk on there is sickening. Here are a couple quotes:

1) "Wow, U of T for reputation? Are you an idiot? People I know who graduated from U of T and couldn't get into med school, which is pretty much everyone, are working in business, receptionist, bottom-level jobs. Nobody cares that you went to U of T in the workforce.

-U of T undergrad"

2) "30 percent do get high gpa's and no graduates from UWO and MAC has almost no chance of getting into IVEY League schools. Just tells you how horrible they consider the schools to be."

These quotes are completely random and I just want to make it clear I do not have any negative opinions about any canadian school.

But can you guys believe this? Even after a few minutes of browsing it is apparent that most of the members are uninformed, and a surprisingly alarming number of them are rude too. Could be just a string of bad apples, but I don't know, seems like the negativity is pretty widespread.

Personally, it really makes me appreciate our forum. So grateful to have such a knowledgeable, respectful, and supportive forum here on pm101.

Unfortunately, people will often assume that their own personal opinions or what they've heard are facts. Interestingly enough, I know someone that was accepted at a number of med schools last year (one of them was U of T). This person did not choose U of T and her parents think that she made a "bad decision" and told me that it will "affect her career negatively." I just shake my head. I tried to tell them that her career will be just fine, but they are convinced that she made a mistake. 

I've also found that people will often say things on the Internet that they would never, ever say to someone's face. It is even worse if they are "anonymous." Reading the comments on news stories makes me fear for humanity sometimes.  :mellow: Ashley Judd is in the news now about how people are using Twitter to direct rape threats and derogatory language towards her just for saying something about how she didn't think another team (too lazy to look it up right now) didn't play fair against her alma matter, University of Kentucky. 

I agree that PM101 is a very supportive forum. It isn't very often that we see disrespectful posts on here and when we do, the mods are quick to deal with them.  :)

Unfortunately, people will often assume that their own personal opinions or what they've heard are facts. Interestingly enough, I know someone that was accepted at a number of med schools last year (one of them was U of T). This person did not choose U of T and her parents think that she made a "bad decision" and told me that it will "affect her career negatively." I just shake my head. I tried to tell them that her career will be just fine, but they are convinced that she made a mistake. 

I've also found that people will often say things on the Internet that they would never, ever say to someone's face. It is even worse if they are "anonymous." Reading the comments on news stories makes me fear for humanity sometimes.  :mellow: Ashley Judd is in the news now about how people are using Twitter to direct rape threats and derogatory language towards her just for saying something about how she didn't think another team (too lazy to look it up right now) didn't play fair against her alma matter, University of Kentucky. 

I agree that PM101 is a very supportive forum. It isn't very often that we see disrespectful posts on here and when we do, the mods are quick to deal with them.  :)

we try! it is important to maintain a friendly supportive place that encourages discussion :)

-U of T undergrad"

I used that forum back when I was applying to university and I found most of the people to be helpful and kind, but there were a few bad eggs, as there is on any forum. Keep in mind that a majority of the people on there are <18/19 years old, so the bad eggs are most likely immature kids that don't actually know anything about university/college/postsecondary education. Where on here, I'd be more inclined to say that a majority of the members on this form are >18 years old, with an average age that's probably somewhere in the 20's. The fact that the members on here are older, paired with the fact that most of us want to get into a career that involves helping and supporting others, is probably why the members on here are more mature and supportive.

-U of T undergrad"

A bit extreme but not entirely uninformed. Don't people on this forum often say that it doesn't matter which Canadian med schools you go to, they are all great? Isn't it basically the same thing as "Nobody cares that you went to U of T in the workforce."

It's also true that "ignorant" Americans don't care about Canadian schools except UofT and McGill.

Not sure why you would feel so "sickening" about these posts. Honestly I've seen less informed posts on this forum.

A bit extreme but not entirely uninformed. Don't people on this forum often say that it doesn't matter which Canadian med schools you go to, they are all great? Isn't it basically the same thing as "Nobody cares that you went to U of T in the workforce."

It's also true that "ignorant" Americans don't care about Canadian schools except UofT and McGill.

Not sure why you would feel so "sickening" about these posts. Honestly I've seen less informed posts on this forum.

It's the language. I have never seen someone just plain call someone else an idiot on this forum. I have never seen such bashing of certain schools on this forum either. And the number of posts about bashing is very high. The main part of the post is calling someone an idiot. Also people where flat out saying no don't go there x school sucks. Like these kids are the academic cream of the crop and it's disheartening to hear them say this.

-U of T undergrad"

Well, even though the wording of the 1st one is completely offensive, it is technically true...considering the pretige of U of T, It's sad to see so many of its graduates working at entry-level jobs (receptionists, McDonald's etc) or going back to college to get a trade diploma. The one thing I absolutely hated about UT was how demoralizing the school was to its students. You could try and try and try and still be called worthless. I believe eventually it became a conditioned response (like learned helplessness) so that lots of people from UT settle for these entry level positions, because they are so used to their efforts turn into vain and forgets that it is just one school's opinion. A small fraction of people from UT do succeed, but unless you go to that school, you won't see the 90% that fail in the process, even though they really are (no exaggeration) the brightest and hardest-working group of people I have ever met in my life.

UofT sent the last nail in the proverbial coffin for me today. I will not be reapplying next cycle.

Good luck PM101!

It is unfortunate that you won't be reapplying, but I'm happy you have another option that will lead to an awesome career.

Good luck!

UofT sent the last nail in the proverbial coffin for me today. I will not be reapplying next cycle.

Good luck PM101!

I'm sad that you are not reapplying :(.

But, maybe it will be good that you are fully dedicating yourself to this new path.

Even if it's not your first choice of career or subject matter, you will get a lot of satisfaction out of it I think. 

It's nice to have your skills valued and appreciated. It will also be nice to earn a good and stable income for yourself and your family.

You deserve it. :)

Archived