Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh. Unmatched CMG this year. Waiting for (good) news next Tuesday. Applying to a Master's program.  Begging my bank to extend my LOC.

/sigh

Sorry to hear that. Question I have is though, what is the good news you are waiting for? Is it for residency? Also, if you are unmatched this year, do you have to wait a year to reapply to carms again?

So you know how we were talking a while ago about getting ID'd?

Well, tonight I went out for dinner with a friend and decided that I'd get an alcoholic beverage. I got carded, which is fine considering my 19th was only 3 months ago (December 31st - same day as Voldemort :rolleyes:) and the fact that I have an extreme case of baby face. So I gave the server my government issued I.D. and he thought it was a fake... -_- I had to show him my health card in the end. I don't know if stuff like this happens all the time as I don't drink much, but I thought it was so odd. :P

Ugh, another one. Yes, I agree we have a problem here too. It's like they have a policy of shoot to kill whenever someone is acting strange (whether due to mental health or whatever). 

I'm actually afraid of the police. I think that's pretty sad because I didn't always feel that way!

Haha I would like to order off the kids menu! I'm in my early 30s and I still get IDed all the time. I don't look younger than my age in my opinion. However, I have had a couple times where I was asked for ID going in somewhere and not my boyfriend (recently with my SO and a few years ago with a past bf).

Clearly I'm not 18 and on a date with someone in their late 30s I think?

McDonald's happy meal?

Haha, well anyone can get a happy meal! 

I just never want more than half a restaurant entree for the most part. It would be great if I could get a half-serving for half the price!

I have been on a few trips with a girlfriend who doesn't eat big portions either. We eventually got into the habit of splitting a dish. Pretty sure they don't like that, but it helped our travel budget a lot!

waiting for may 12th lowers my self-esteem with each passing day

SAMES. Exams are the only thing keeping me from going crazy. So much studying to do I don't have time to freak out over may 12th...although that will be a different story when exams are finally done.

SAMES. Exams are the only thing keeping me from going crazy. So much studying to do I don't have time to freak out over may 12th...although that will be a different story when exams are finally done.

When are your exams done? We can feed each other's anxiety once they're over :(

2 years into my second undergrad, and I finally told my parents that I am gunning for medicine. Just as I predicted, they are not pleased. Medicine was something they pushed me to pursue at the early stages of my first undergrad (with reasons such as "look at this Chinese celebrity, they married a doctor--so the prestige of being a doctor means something!"). But now that I am turning 25, and being a female, they feel I shouldn't be wasting any more of my youth in school ("by the time you get out of school you'll be too old and no man will want to marry you anymore").

I mean I saw this coming, but it still makes me sad to hear the disapproval tone in their voices. It's also kind of liberating at the same time, to know that I'm pursuing this solely for myself, without any external pressure. But so stressful because I'm completely alone on this.

I feel like I am in some weird state of limbo as my plans for this summer will be significantly different depending on whether or not I get in anywhere. Part of me feels quite pessimistic, like I should accept that I'm not getting in and should just start planning my summer/next year, but another part of me feels (some) hope.

I feel like I am in some weird state of limbo as my plans for this summer will be significantly different depending on whether or not I get in anywhere. Part of me feels quite pessimistic, like I should accept that I'm not getting in and should just start planning my summer/next year, but another part of me feels (some) hope.

Same. I registered my kids for school and after school care here for the fall and am preparing my work plans and class schedule based on the assumption I'll be here.

I have a tiny bit of hope anyway.

2 years into my second undergrad, and I finally told my parents that I am gunning for medicine. Just as I predicted, they are not pleased. Medicine was something they pushed me to pursue at the early stages of my first undergrad (with reasons such as "look at this Chinese celebrity, they married a doctor--so the prestige of being a doctor means something!"). But now that I am turning 25, and being a female, they feel I shouldn't be wasting any more of my youth in school ("by the time you get out of school you'll be too old and no man will want to marry you anymore").

I mean I saw this coming, but it still makes me sad to hear the disapproval tone in their voices. It's also kind of liberating at the same time, to know that I'm pursuing this solely for myself, without any external pressure. But so stressful because I'm completely alone on this.

It's a bit scary and stressful when you really strike out on your own from your parents' plan for your life, but still rather exhilarating too. :)

I agree with Birdy that it's your life not theirs. 

But, I think that your parents are wrong about this one, lol. I have a hunch that people who are very career oriented tend to get married later. Also, I don't see why you couldn't find your future spouse during school or residency. Also, there are plenty of single guys in their 30s. Also, I don't think they are right that no man will want to marry you when you are in your late 20s/early 30s after you get your MD, lol.

I am in my early 30s and a lot of my friends are just getting married now. And the single ones do not have problems finding people to date who are also looking for a relationship. Mind you, these people generally fall into the career driven camp. The people I know who are not in that camp got married much earlier. 

I suspect that you would be able to find data that shows this if you looked at studies where they looked at career driven people rather than the general population. This may sound lame, but if I were you, I would research it and then show my parents. 

If they didn't want you to go to med school because of the cost, wouldn't you do some research on your ability to pay back school loans once you were a doctor? 

If you can't win them over, so be it. But if you can, it would be nice to have them on board with you! Funny thing about parents is they are not always right. :P

Archived