Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Why didn't I just go into physics in the first place?

My *average* for math and physics courses so far is 94 and I've never had one below 92. For biology courses, my average is in the high 80s. My lowest mark ever is in a biology course.

I just have a math brain. I should have gone into physics.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My *average* for math and physics courses so far is 94 and I've never had one below 92. For biology courses, my average is in the high 80s. My lowest mark ever is in a biology course.

I remember you mentioned that you were interested in medical physics. How long would it take for you to move into something like that? It seems super cool.

I remember you mentioned that you were interested in medical physics. How long would it take for you to move into something like that? It seems super cool.

It'll take me an additional 1-1.5 years of undergrad to do the physics degree, 2-2.5 if I do honours. Three of the CAMPEP medphys programs I'm interested in don't require that you have honours physics, though the distance ed program from University College London (which I could do while working) requires it.

Then it's a two year masters plus a two year residency, at a minimum. In Canada, most medical physicists are starting with PhDs now, but it is still possible to start with a masters. We're interested in moving to the UK and it's a lot easier to get a good job as a medical physicist with just a masters there.

So I'd be looking at about the same length of time as medicine will take me. Programs are pretty competitive too, but it varies a lot year to year.

It'll take me an additional 1-1.5 years of undergrad to do the physics degree, 2-2.5 if I do honours. Three of the CAMPEP medphys programs I'm interested in don't require that you have honours physics, though the distance ed program from University College London (which I could do while working) requires it.

Then it's a two year masters plus a two year residency, at a minimum. In Canada, most medical physicists are starting with PhDs now, but it is still possible to start with a masters. We're interested in moving to the UK and it's a lot easier to get a good job as a medical physicist with just a masters there.

So I'd be looking at about the same length of time as medicine will take me. Programs are pretty competitive too, but it varies a lot year to year.

Would you actually have to do a physics degree or simply take x number of requisite courses? I have a math undergrad and thought about returning to school for medical physics, but picked biology because I wasn't confident (at the time) that I could ever do well at anything mathematical.

Would you actually have to do a physics degree or simply take x number of requisite courses? I have a math undergrad and thought about returning to school for medical physics, but picked biology because I wasn't confident (at the time) that I could ever do well at anything mathematical.

I have to have the degree. Not terribly hard, though. My university's physics department has literally only five professors and they tend to be fairly flexible. The profs are fantastic and I can think of many things worse than spending another year being taught by those gentlemen. :)

If you could do a math undergrad, I'm sure you could probably do well enough in physics. Medphys is definitely a fantastic field. I'd be just as happy to end up there as in medicine. It was my original plan, actually. Ten years ago.

How do you guys deal with regret/ getting over mistakes? I know mistakes are normal, need to get over them and learn from them, etc. but i just CAN'T. instead they play over and over over again in my head. i thought it would get better with age/maturity, but it really doesn't :(

How do you guys deal with regret/ getting over mistakes? I know mistakes are normal, need to get over them and learn from them, etc. but i just CAN'T. instead they play over and over over again in my head. i thought it would get better with age/maturity, but it really doesn't :(

You are going to need to be more specific!

There are a lot different kinds of regret. Decisions that you have made, things you have done?

20 year old me did and said some dumb stuff. 30 year old me was a bit better, I guess. I'm really looking forward to seeing what 40 year old me has to say about everything.

My exams are done too and MCAT studying begins on Monday. Marks are starting to come in now... so far I have one A+, but there is one where I'm hoping for an A- (I know that sounds sad, especially to people that have never seen an A-). The exam was brutal, so I'm hoping that the curve helps me out.

I hope that everyone is having a great day so far!  :D

My exams are done too and MCAT studying begins on Monday. Marks are starting to come in now... so far I have one A+, but there is one where I'm hoping for an A- (I know that sounds sad, especially to people that have never seen an A-). The exam was brutal, so I'm hoping that the curve helps me out.

I hope that everyone is having a great day so far!  :D

Nah, I know that feeling! Congrats on being done exams!

MCAT almost seems welcome after the stress of exams lol

Perhaps :) although your GPA in general is very strong regardless. Points the way to a possible back up though.

I ate over 300 grams of carbs everyday for the past 2 weeks and lost weight.

sigh

If you count macronutrients, 300g of carbs a day isn't that much to be honest. Even if you are eating a frankly gross amount of protein a day, you should probably get >400g of carbohydrates if you're trying to gain weight.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

This calculator suggests eating ~400g if you are 5'10", 150lbs, and trying to maintain your weight.

If you count macronutrients, 300g of carbs a day isn't that much to be honest. Even if you are eating a frankly gross amount of protein a day, you should probably get >400g of carbohydrates if you're trying to gain weight.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

This calculator suggests eating ~400g if you are 5'10", 150lbs, and trying to maintain your weight.

I did no physical activity those 2 weeks because of a condensed exam period. I'm a weight class athlete so I usually know how my body should react to increases/decreases in food or activity level.

off at at conference in Chicago - this city is big!

going to try and find a pizza place. Seems like the thing to do.

If you're looking for a "traditional" Chicago pizza experience, might I suggest Lou Malnati's (there's a few of them in the city). However, my favourite Chicago pizza experience was at Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder. They make these pizza pot pie type things that are unique and delicious!

Archived