Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suppose an individual has been drinking 5-8 cups of coffee a day for a year or two. Is it possible for such an individual to "reset" the receptors involved in caffeine response? If so, how long will it take?

Note: The individual is me.

I was hoping it would take like 3 days.

Using my limited knowledge on neuropharmacology and some research I've done on this topic before, I'll try my best to help you out.

Note that this entire process is dependent on the individual and subjective factors. Generally, I believe that severe withdrawal symptoms could last anywhere from a little under a week to two weeks, with the less severe symptoms potentially lasting for up to two months. One suggestion I can make is to gradually come off of caffeine/coffee, which may make it less likely that you develop these symptoms as severely. 

Using my limited knowledge on neuropharmacology and some research I've done on this topic before, I'll try my best to help you out.

Note that this entire process is dependent on the individual and subjective factors. Generally, I believe that severe withdrawal symptoms could last anywhere from a little under a week to two weeks, with the less severe symptoms potentially lasting for up to two months. One suggestion I can make is to gradually come off of caffeine/coffee, which may make it less likely that you develop these symptoms as severely.

You are probably smarter than me and know more based on your education. But I really do not think that caffeine withdrawal can be so bad, as a lay person.

You are probably smarter than me and know more based on your education. But I really do not think that caffeine withdrawal can be so bad, as a lay person.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it isn't that bad, I'd personally expect it to last just under a week, but I wanted to list the entire range of time periods that I've read about to demonstrate that it can last longer. It's also important to note that not everyone experiences caffeine withdrawal when they stop drinking coffee. 

Also, it's been listed as a disorder in the DSM-V. Obviously, the typical withdrawal that is most often experienced probably wouldn't meet the criteria for diagnosis (or it would be absurd to classify the normal withdrawal as a disorder IMO - but I don't have my own DSM to go off of :( , so I can't really tell you much more). Anyway, the fact that it's listed as a disorder in the DSM speaks to the potential severity of caffeine withdrawal.  

Lol I think you are going to be fine! Take a coffee if you have a head ache!

Not to say extreme caffeine addiction does not exist, it just sounds like you are not in that range.

Medically supervised withdrawal is a topic of interest for me. I would like to learn more about pain management within our current system :).

Related: there was an interesting piece on Science Based Medicine this last week about the questionable practice of Anaesthesia-Assisted Rapid Detox. https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/anesthesia-assisted-rapid-opioid-detox/

Related: there was an interesting piece on Science Based Medicine this last week about the questionable practice of Anaesthesia-Assisted Rapid Detox. https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/anesthesia-assisted-rapid-opioid-detox/

That's interesting,thanks for posting!

The part at the end stands out as well. I have to disagree with the author, I am pretty sure that these doctor's regulatory bodies can tell them what they can and cannot do. It's not even a question of disciplining them after the fact, there's nothing preventing them from making rules about what is and is not an acceptable form of treatment.

The law society literally audits every sole practitioner within a year of hanging out their shingle. They go through your books line by line!

You would not have guessed this from what you read in the Star, but our regulatory body is all up in our business. I am pretty sure that it would be similar in med, in Canada and even possibly more so in the states. If not, it's not because they lack these powers, it's that they are not using them.

Suppose an individual has been drinking 5-8 cups of coffee a day for a year or two. Is it possible for such an individual to "reset" the receptors involved in caffeine response? If so, how long will it take?

Note: The individual is me.

Tried this last summer, except I was going from 4 cups to zero... Stopped because I was starting to get headaches if it had been too long since my last coffee, and the coffee wasn't even doing much anymore. Cold turkey. Had about 2-3 days of feeling tired all the time, and had some annoying headaches. After that I was fine, energy levels back to normal. You can cut back though, too... No need to cut it all out. I typically have a cup in the morning now and that's it.

Gah. Got an interview for a summer job at the Public Health Unit. It will be full time. I'll need the money for dietetic internship but I'll also need the time to study for the MCAT. I'll be bummed if I don't get into med school, but I will also be bummed if I don't get into med school AND don't have the money to live through the internship. Why did I apply to that job??

(I know many people work and study at the same time, but I'm not confident about my background in the sciences, at all)

Gah. Got an interview for a summer job at the Public Health Unit. It will be full time. I'll need the money for dietetic internship but I'll also need the time to study for the MCAT. I'll be bummed if I don't get into med school, but I will also be bummed if I don't get into med school AND don't have the money to live through the internship. Why did I apply to that job??

(I know many people work and study at the same time, but I'm not confident about my background in the sciences, at all)

The MCAT is a lot of work. My job is pretty all consuming, and as a result, I do not have plans to write the substantive sections as of yet. It is pretty difficult to study for the MCAT while working full time, unless your work is a pretty structured routine and you can spread the studying over several months.

It's a tough call. If you do follow through, it requires a lot of good time management, and you need to be able to have the energy to study after work. It isn't for everyone, but some people can do it. You can always try for a few weeks, and if it is just way too overwhelming, cancel your test and get half your money back. I have done it once before and I slacked a little, so I know what is at stake and that is what is going to push me. You need to stay focused and determined, and do not forget to have one day off, preferably fridays? Weekends are a good day to get in about 6-7 hours of studying. It is also heavily reliant on you being a good self-studier. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

It's a tough call. If you do follow through, it requires a lot of good time management, and you need to be able to have the energy to study after work. It isn't for everyone, but some people can do it. You can always try for a few weeks, and if it is just way too overwhelming, cancel your test and get half your money back. I have done it once before and I slacked a little, so I know what is at stake and that is what is going to push me. You need to stay focused and determined, and do not forget to have one day off, preferably fridays? Weekends are a good day forget in about 6-7 hours of studying. It is also heavily reliant on you being a good studier. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

I agree. It can be tough to study for the MCAT (or take courses) while working, but it's definitely doable.

If there is anyway to make your hours more flexible at work, try that. I'm going to try working from 7 am to 3 pm, so that I have more of the evenings free.

Best of luck to everyone!  :)

God. I'm such a terrible decision maker.

I know my priority should be the MCAT though, since I am planning to apply this cycle.

Also say you sign up to take the test at one location and then want to change your location, you would have to go through with the whole registration process again right? (drop your spot, loose the $150 deposit, pay for another seat)

I agree. It can be tough to study for the MCAT (or take courses) while working, but it's definitely doable.

If there is anyway to make your hours more flexible at work, try that. I'm going to try working from 7 am to 3 pm, so that I have more of the evenings free.

Best of luck to everyone!  :)

8 30-4 30, so we almost got the same schedule :P. WE CAN DOO ITTT.

Archived