Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Being on mat leave for the last few months has meant I have multiple reasons for going batty! It's hard to be distracted by school when I'm only taking one self-directed course.

I totally avoided going to a party tonight because it was with a few folks I haven't seen in a year or so - don't want to talk about med school applications with anyone that doesn't already know what stage I'm at in the process! 

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being on mat leave for the last few months has meant I have multiple reasons for going batty! It's hard to be distracted by school when I'm only taking one self-directed course.

I totally avoided going to a party tonight because it was with a few folks I haven't seen in a year or so - don't want to talk about med school applications with anyone that doesn't already know what stage I'm at in the process!

Mat leave and I never got along well. I went stir crazy both times. My husband will be the one taking leave when we eventually have a third.

I hope you're able to find a suitable distraction to help keep the battiness at bay. :)

I was at a party with all my friends yesterday.

I spent the entire night talking to the one guy there that I'd never met.

I think I'm starting to hate my friends, I've known them too long.

Is this a thing that happens to people? haha

Yes. It is. :P Its not black and white where you just cut people out, and stitch people in. Unless you're like me, then yea, you switch friends completely about every 6 months to a year.

I am seriously addicted to the TV show Suits right now. What makes things worst is that I'm at my mom's house for a few days and she has so many snacks and good food. I also had zero interest in law before I started too, but the show is just so interesting.

Anyone else watch Suits? Who's your favorite character or what's your favorite moment from the show?

I watch suits, but only because I have this weird thing about seeing a TV series to completion. I don't really enjoy it anymore.

lol yeah I've never heard of that before but that is pretty funny. My friend said the show gets better so I am crossing my fingers.

Suits was really good in the beginning, but with time I've found it to grow kind of redundant. I don't know, maybe I just find it boring because it feels like the same thing happens in every episode/couple episodes: Try to get some leverage on the case, finds some but then they run into problems with the case, someone messes something up, case or law firm in jeopardy, fix everything last second. :P

I mostly watch it for the characters. My favourite character is definitely Donna, mostly because she's sharp-witted/humorous, sarcastic, sassy, loyal, and very perceptive (like me - at least that's what I tell myself :P - my friends have described me as more of a Louis though...).

I watched Suits when it first started but stopped when I realized it was becoming the law equivalent of CSI Miami. It felt like they were trying too hard to make the world of law seem cool. I felt like at any moment, Harvey was gonna bust out some sunglasses Horatio-style.

Haha, if litigation were as fun as it looks on suits, I sure wouldn't be applying to med!

It's like every episode is the highlight real of an entire year of practice, all put into one week!

I guess the show would be boring if the characters ever actually sat down at their desks and worked.

Most shows are like that though. I really hope that surgeons don't yell and scream at each other through most of their operations the way they do on Grey's. :P

Haha, if litigation were as fun as it looks on suits, I sure wouldn't be applying to med!

It's like every episode is the highlight real of an entire year of practice, all put into one week!

I guess the show would be boring if the characters ever actually sat down at their desks and worked.

Most shows are like that though. I really hope that surgeons don't yell and scream at each other through most of their operations the way they do on Grey's. :P

Never watched those TV shows, but in parallel, I'm sure medicine would be way less appealing if they actually showed the amount of time charting, reading previous charts, and answering emails.

The problem with suits is that over the seasons they have slowly reduced the number of characters in the show. If you think about it, the show only really focuses on like 5 characters now. In the first season or two, there were a lot of associates and other minor characters, but now the entire show is just Harvey + Mike with extras walking around in the background.

Never watched those TV shows, but in parallel, I'm sure medicine would be way less appealing if they actually showed the amount of time charting, reading previous charts, and answering emails.

Haha, nope, Grey's is likely the most ridiculous career-themed show on television. 

When their shift is over, they just put down whatever chart they were holding from the last patient, and go have a quickie in the on-call room, lol. 

Archived