Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

ok that is mildly funny actually :) Is the spam just about podiatry? Hopefully you are getting other "spam" as well.

Mostly podiatry. A few MD schools. Guessing podiatry might need to recruit a bit more than medical schools do. I don't think my MCAT (35) was quite high enough for MD schools to be actively pursuing me.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay! I've just been offered admission to my top choice combined masters-dietetic internship program! :) So, starting next winter (the fall is all course work), if any of you at the various Toronto hospitals see a dietetic intern wearing an iron ring say "hi", it's probably me. ;)

"Regular" internship results (that is, those that aren't combined with a masters degree, but are stand-alone internships) don't come out until Monday, but at this point, I don't care, since I'll be accepting the offer I've just received. :)

Yay! I've just been offered admission to my top choice combined masters-dietetic internship program! :) So, starting next winter (the fall is all course work), if any of you at the various Toronto hospitals see a dietetic intern wearing an iron ring say "hi", it's probably me. ;)

"Regular" internship results (that is, those that aren't combined with a masters degree, but are stand-alone internships) don't come out until Monday, but at this point, I don't care, since I'll be accepting the offer I've just received. :)

Congratulations. :)

hey congrats! that is awesome news!

Congratulations!

You've worked so hard for this, must be wonderful to have it pay off. :)

Thanks all! :) It may not be medicine, but it's a health care career I know I'll enjoy. Not to mention I'll be out there working in two years instead of five or longer, and I don't have to worry about the sleep deprivation that comes with clerkship and residency (which were my biggest worries when applying for med).

Thanks all! :) It may not be medicine, but it's a health care career I know I'll enjoy. Not to mention I'll be out there working in two years instead of five or longer, and I don't have to worry about the sleep deprivation that comes with clerkship and residency (which were my biggest worries when applying for med).

ha - there are certainly advantages to the other fields. Even at this point looking ahead I see 7 and a bit years before I am actually holding a position - and that assumes I get a position right away :)

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

PS. You're an engineer? That's awesome :)

1) SUPER congrats to NutritionRunner! Way to go girl!

I know med was a goal (still not ever pit of the question at a possibly later date) but it's been very obvious you also have a passion for nutrition so this is awesome news :)

2) I wish I were 10 years younger lol I would LOVE to go into a neuroscience field especially cognitive neuroscience. Such an amazingly fascinating topic for me and has soon many branches from medicine and behaviour (psych) to business (organizational/marketing/customers), economics, and education!

Back to work... lol

Oh and one more thing:

It's high time we start allowing psychologists into the basket of medically necessary insured services in Canada (provinces).

Personal experience and anecdotal evidence of friends and family suggest that psychiatrists are sh!t compared to psychologist. The psychiatrists I and ppl I know have seen have all been pretty useless but we love our psychologists.

Why? Biggest difference seems to be a psychologist is more interested in helping to solve a problem OR providing mechanisms for dealing with it than simply medicating it.

Congratulations!

Woo! New wheels. :)

We got a great deal on a 2013 Rav4. It's pretty and has awesome features. We carried a coverage on our insurance that essentially means we were paid for the replacement cost, not the actual cost, of our totalled car. It pays off the loan and leaves us with a comfortable down payment on the new car.

If you ever buy a new vehicle, make sure you have that coverage! You can only get it on a brand new vehicle. It really made the difference for us.

This 2 month wait is going to kill me mentally; I have pretty low expectations though.

It's already killing me. I can't focus on anything! I am actually pretty hopeful about my chances, but am trying to keep my expectations low to avoid disappointment, haha.

Happy hump day!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

I've turned into FD in her absence (where art thou anyway???) where sleep seems to be locked far away on fantasy island and I'm too poor to afford airfare for.

OK, not to her extreme levels but can't be too far off.

Hope interviews are going/went well and the wait doesn't kill you too much :)

Peace!

I have no idea how to feel right now. It seems like every hour I go from being optimistic to pessimistic, then back again.

Good: Four interviews, which seems to make acceptance a near certainty this cycle (especially UWO with SWOMEN and UBC as OOP post-interview).

Bad: If I have to reapply next cycle my application won't be as strong. I've spent the year working full-time (parents cut financial assistance after I graduated), and my work isn't something that'd be helpful on an application I don't think (network support for a large telecom). I'm also taking 3 courses this semester which are prereqs for UBC and the combination of work, school, the classes being outside of my comfort zone, and interviews has been weighing my grades down (I think my cGPA will potentially fall from 3.89 to 3.83). I've managed to keep somewhat involved with volunteering but there's not much time in my schedule for it. In retrospect I should have looked for a more interesting/relevant work opportunity but at the time I was thinking it'd only be for a year and was pretty confident about getting into med this cycle.

Not really expecting responses, just wanted to post this somewhere. :P None of my good friends are pre-med so I feel like whenever I tell them these things they don't fully understand.

Archived