Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

wow thanks for the insights. please tell me how you can look into the future. i know for a fact that med is not the only thing ppl on this forum could imagine doing because there are PT/OT, dental, research, and an optometry section.

i talked to med students and they said med school was way better than undergrad (less competition, there to help each other, etc). i fail to see your line of reasoning about attacking my rationale for saying it is ****ing hard to maintain a relationship while in school.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow thanks for the insights. please tell me how you can look into the future. i know for a fact that med is not the only thing ppl on this forum could imagine doing because there are PT/OT, dental, research, and an optometry section.

i talked to med students and they said med school was way better than undergrad (less competition, there to help each other, etc). i fail to see your line of reasoning about attacking my rationale for saying it is ****ing hard to maintain a relationship while in school.

I'm not attacking you but if you want I can. Your grammar is horrendous, this includes capitalization, syntax, punctuation, and overall misspelled words. What some medical students tell you doesn't make it fact. I didn't say anything about med being the only thing on this forum? I've also had med friends going to UBC who say they've met some of the most competitive people to date in first year. One word does not speak per population. At the end of the day you can do and say as you please, because your words only affect you. Enjoy though.

And if you want to go into medicine I promise you'll miss a lot more. Everyone here wants to do well, and they don't complain because they couldn't imagine doing anything else.

I wouldn't say I couldn't imagine doing something else. I have a very good imagination :)

The other reason we probably don't complain too much is that everyone around us is actually doing exactly the same thing. It is different in UG as there are people just coasting along, getting 70s usually, with more free time etc - and yeah they are probably enjoying parts of their life a lot more than the average premed. There are comparatively few people actually rushing forward towards medical school applications in the reference group there. In medical school and residency you are surrounded by a large group of people suffering exactly the same way you are suffering and it may be hard but it is also far (everyone does about the same amount of call etc) and this suffering leads absolutely for sure to a final end goal.

Right now I am doing 4 call shifts in 8 days so things are not the best free time wise but I know afterwards I only have 3 call shifts over 3 weeks and things will get better.

I wouldn't say I couldn't imagine doing something else. I have a very good imagination :)

The other reason we probably don't complain too much is that everyone around us is actually doing exactly the same thing. It is different in UG as there are people just coasting along, getting 70s usually, with more free time etc - and yeah they are probably enjoying parts of their life a lot more than the average premed. There are comparatively few people actually rushing forward towards medical school applications in the reference group there. In medical school and residency you are surrounded by a large group of people suffering exactly the same way you are suffering and it may be hard but it is also far (everyone does about the same amount of call etc) and this suffering leads absolutely for sure to a final end goal.

Right now I am doing 4 call shifts in 8 days so things are not the best free time wise but I know afterwards I only have 3 call shifts over 3 weeks and things will get better.

But that's the thing, if you're on this forum you're "surrounded" by people who generally want to sit and study and do well.

i dont care about my grammer on a forum, i did well on the GRE. I will let my admissions essays, gre scores, and academic grades speak for themselves when it really counts.

yes i did the gre in undergrad, because i heard that it is even more of a hassle later on in life.

Don't most people do it in undergrad? Just the same as most people take the MCAT during undergrad?

And if you want to go into medicine I promise you'll miss a lot more. Everyone here wants to do well, and they don't complain because they couldn't imagine doing anything else.

That's because many premeds are narrow-minded and idealize what it means to be a medical student/doctor.

The other reason we probably don't complain too much is that everyone around us is actually doing exactly the same thing.

Some of us take the opposite approach and just complain in quiet conversation with each other.

Don't most people do it in undergrad? Just the same as most people take the MCAT during undergrad?

Yes, if individuals are applying to graduate programs that require the GRE than they will take it sometime during their undergraduate studies, typically in third or fourth year.

What I don't understand are the people who say they don't enjoy what they are studying. Why are you studying it then? Why don't you choose to study something you enjoy? I can honestly say I've enjoyed almost all of my courses (there are a few that I haven't enjoyed, like Human Resources, and a few that I thought were useless because I didn't learn anything, like Computer Applications, but those are the exception, rather than the rule).

There are also so many interesting things out there to study that I wish I had time to take more courses! Maybe I'm weird, but I thoroughly enjoy learning. I like attending classes and working on projects. I don't enjoy exams, but I recognize they are the most common way to evaluate mastery of material at the undergraduate level.

If I could (i.e. if I were independently wealthy and didn't need to worry about working) I would become a permanent student. That's how much I enjoy learning new things in a university environment. Even between my degrees, when I was working full time, I was taking one course, via distance education, each semester, because I enjoyed the type of learning that taking university courses provided.

I actually enjoy professional development activities and don't consider them to be a burden, like some individuals do. It's exciting to learn new things and to then be able to apply them in my practice.

Then again, I guess I am a bit weird, as most individuals in my program had a dietetic internship as their first choice, and only applied to combined Masters-internship programs as a back-up. For me it was the exact opposite - the Masters-internship programs were my first choice, as I'm excited to take graduate-level courses in nutrition, and the internships were my back-up.

Yes, if individuals are applying to graduate programs that require the GRE than they will take it sometime during their undergraduate studies, typically in third or fourth year.

What I don't understand are the people who say they don't enjoy what they are studying. Why are you studying it then? Why don't you choose to study something you enjoy? I can honestly say I've enjoyed almost all of my courses (there are a few that I haven't enjoyed, like Human Resources, and a few that I thought were useless because I didn't learn anything, like Computer Applications, but those are the exception, rather than the rule).

There are also so many interesting things out there to study that I wish I had time to take more courses! Maybe I'm weird, but I thoroughly enjoy learning. I like attending classes and working on projects. I don't enjoy exams, but I recognize they are the most common way to evaluate mastery of material at the undergraduate level.

If I could (i.e. if I were independently wealthy and didn't need to worry about working) I would become a permanent student. That's how much I enjoy learning new things in a university environment. Even between my degrees, when I was working full time, I was taking one course, via distance education, each semester, because I enjoyed the type of learning that taking university courses provided.

I actually enjoy professional development activities and don't consider them to be a burden, like some individuals do. It's exciting to learn new things and to then be able to apply them in my practice.

Then again, I guess I am a bit weird, as most individuals in my program had a dietetic internship as their first choice, and only applied to combined Masters-internship programs as a back-up. For me it was the exact opposite - the Masters-internship programs were my first choice, as I'm excited to take graduate-level courses in nutrition, and the internships were my back-up.

Words cannot describe the amount I agree with you. There will always be a course or two you don't enjoy, but when you take 40 courses a huge majority should be your major and medical related stuff that you want or enjoy taking.

Just finished my very last exam!! Goodbye undergrad, it's time to close this chapter of my life.

Amazing how finishing something makes everything seem so insignificant looking back. Really wish I had spent more time making connections and keeping in touch with people I cared about, and less worrying about numbers and stats. Something to carry over to medical school hopefully. :)

feeling burnt out, i dont know everyone on this forum has such strong stamina. i feel freaking tired.

Aren't you in your 4th year of undergrad?

If so, you're probably in for a rough ride if you're already feeling beatdown by school. I'm on year 5 (had a year off after year 4) of undergrad. It's not that bad. I go to school, come home, study go to work/gym, sleep.

If I could live like this forever, I'd sign up. Learning is awesome. If there was a job that paid me a stable salary to learn (and didn't require me to move all over the world as many in academia have to do), I would jump on it without any considerations.

feeling burnt out, i dont know everyone on this forum has such strong stamina. i feel freaking tired.

everyone feels that way from time to time. It is a long road - I am a first year resident now and I just passed the 1/2 way mark for me. Everyone has to take time to recharge occasionally :)

you're probably in for a rough ride if you're already feeling beatdown by school. I'm on year 5 (had a year off after year 4) of undergrad. It's not that bad.

I don't think you can transfer that experience if you've had a break... I think I would probably be super-enjoying things in school right now if I had spent at least a semester or so travelling or working :)

I'm feeling pretty burnt out in 4th year, but that's actually a pretty normal thing to happen. Shifting gears to med is likely to change the focus and style, and learning IS awesome! Sometimes one just has to slog through a few things that are less than ideal in coursework.

Keep it up and don't be afraid to let you standards slip a bit. Keep your stick on the ice, we're all in this together. :)

On another note... a few weeks to GRAD! WHOO!

I don't think you can transfer that experience if you've had a break... I think I would probably be super-enjoying things in school right now if I had spent at least a semester or so travelling or working :)

I'm feeling pretty burnt out in 4th year, but that's actually a pretty normal thing to happen. Shifting gears to med is likely to change the focus and style, and learning IS awesome! Sometimes one just has to slog through a few things that are less than ideal in coursework.

My break wasn't really a typical break. I had planned to have my year after graduating off to make a run at as a competitive athlete in my sport of choice. A month or so in, my grams got diagnosed with GBM. Doctor said 3-6 months, so I spent just about 6 months taking care of her, and then taking care of my family post-funeral etc.

Then I decided to go back to school and eventually apply to med school. I guess I wasn't intellectually burnt out, but emotionally burnt out at the end of it all. I did spend about 5 months after everything happened training in a sport about 8 hours a day, but that was probably because my unhealthy response is to become too tired to think about feels

I am wondering why aren't my professors and other graduate programs responding to my emails....waiting for godot x2

someone mentioned my quote before, yeah if you haven't noticed i stress out a lot. the quote is there to remind me to keep grounded but being who i am i get upset when things happen.

I am wondering why aren't my professors and other graduate programs responding to my emails....waiting for godot x2

someone mentioned my quote before, yeah if you haven't noticed i stress out a lot. the quote is there to remind me to keep grounded but being who i am i get upset when things happen.

emailing professors takes forever and has a long turn around time. They get slammed with email requests. Positively slammed.

Archived