Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

why can't i expect my parents to be rational beings, most of the time? i know according to econ ppl dont always think rationally but i think they can be rational most of the time.

i am honestly open to advice, i am trying to understand where you guys are coming from

sure my probs can be considered first world problems, but they are still problems...

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why can't i expect my parents to be rational beings, most of the time? i know according to econ ppl dont always think rationally but i think they can be rational most of the time.

i am honestly open to advice, i am trying to understand where you guys are coming from

sure my probs can be considered first world problems, but they are still problems...

What makes you think your parents are being irrational?

Do you dislike all people who are occasionally (or often) irrational?

Wow, congratulations everybody (no, not just hockeykid, everyone) on turning a nice thread into a rude, mean, hate fest.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and just because you have had a worse experience than someone else does not invalidate their feelings.

Can we have a reasonable discussion. For example:

"My parents piss me off, blah blah blah"

"That sucks, you shouldn't talk about your parents that way too, blah blah blah"

Instead of jumping straight to, basically, "you're an entitled "punk"" which then descends into a "my life sucks more than your life" pointless argument.

Let's be nice here.

annoyingly according to most of econ people are rational all the time - one of the things that bugs me about the field :)

One think I learned from a neuro surgeon recently was one kind of insight to complaining about problems. You see he has what objectively could be called really bad days - I mean they are long, people die or have bad outcomes, there are swarms of paperwork, and you are expected to be top of the line at all times and sometimes you aren't. So he would originally go home and listen to his wife or friends complaining about their "bad days" and think that is just silly, I mean that isn't a bad day, you don't know what you are talking about - my bad day trumps your bad day objectively in absolute terms without question. He used to get annoyed at all the complaining as a result.

Then he realized - it doesn't matter if it is absolutely a worse day. People are not absolute logic machines. What matters is relatively speaking they had to them and their frame of reference a really bad day. That was their truth and it was no more or less valid than his. Their response to that bad day was predictable based on how relatively bad to them the day was. If he or anyone always compares directly to their own experience they will likely a) get annoyed/angry B) devalue the other person. That is in part I think why doctors have a high divorce rate.

In the end you just have to accept that the other person is in fact having a bad day, or a bad time with a situation. With that acceptance you can move on productively :)

How do others on here relax or de-stress?

I like to read something totally non-school related, or just play with my dog (I totally understand why some universities do those 'puppy petting' days during exam period). I find a big cup of green tea pretty calming too.

So how do you relax? I need some more ideas.

please help me understand why can't i expect my parents to care for me, after all they were the ones that decided to give me life?

if i had a child i would be there for them for everything and support them in anyway i could.

w.e go ahead and judge

Luke 6:37 Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven

Your parents are human too - your quote applies to them as equally as it does to anyone else. It's a good quote, and the reason for following it is well-demonstrated in the unfortunate string of posts lately on this thread: judgement blocks understanding and with it a constructive resolution to conflicts.

Venting about others can be therapeutic and help lead to understanding, but it's important to get to that next step - resolution. I think much of the frustration others have with your posts stems from the same place as your frustration with those other posters - a feeling that judgement is happening, with no effort to understand the other side.

How do others on here relax or de-stress?

I like to read something totally non-school related, or just play with my dog (I totally understand why some universities do those 'puppy petting' days during exam period). I find a big cup of green tea pretty calming too.

So how do you relax? I need some more ideas.

Exercise, walks, video games. Lately hockey playoffs :D

Montreal - have for since high school, mostly as a protest cheer against all the Toronto fans in SW Ontario :D Also hoping Detroit knocks out Boston first round, just for the hilarity of it :P

Damn Toronto fans are crazy! I'm pretty sure if Detroit beat Boston my buddy would actually lose his mind... I would't mind, but you know. :)

Montreal - have for since high school, mostly as a protest cheer against all the Toronto fans in SW Ontario :D Also hoping Detroit knocks out Boston first round, just for the hilarity of it :P

Ok can we be friends?

Seriously... Detroit is my #1 team, and Montreal is my #2 team.

One think I learned from a neuro surgeon recently was one kind of insight to complaining about problems. You see he has what objectively could be called really bad days - I mean they are long, people die or have bad outcomes, there are swarms of paperwork, and you are expected to be top of the line at all times and sometimes you aren't. So he would originally go home and listen to his wife or friends complaining about their "bad days" and think that is just silly, I mean that isn't a bad day, you don't know what you are talking about - my bad day trumps your bad day objectively in absolute terms without question. He used to get annoyed at all the complaining as a result.

Then he realized - it doesn't matter if it is absolutely a worse day. People are not absolute logic machines. What matters is relatively speaking they had to them and their frame of reference a really bad day. That was their truth and it was no more or less valid than his. Their response to that bad day was predictable based on how relatively bad to them the day was. If he or anyone always compares directly to their own experience they will likely a) get annoyed/angry B) devalue the other person. That is in part I think why doctors have a high divorce rate.

In the end you just have to accept that the other person is in fact having a bad day, or a bad time with a situation. With that acceptance you can move on productively :)

If there was a Like or +1 button on this forum I'd use it here.

Damn Toronto fans are crazy! I'm pretty sure if Detroit beat Boston my buddy would actually lose his mind... I would't mind, but you know. :)

Ok can we be friends?

Seriously... Detroit is my #1 team, and Montreal is my #2 team.

Ha! Glad to see I'm not alone in not cheering for the centre of the universe (and the recently re-signed Captain Pylon).

Ha! Glad to see I'm not alone in not cheering for the centre of the universe (and the recently re-signed Captain Pylon).

Haha, Phaneuf has to be the ugliest person I think I've ever seen right beside Ovechkin. Neanderthals are taking over... It's funny, there's a guy on my hockey team from Toronto, so obviously he is a Toronto fan. One of my other friends about 2 weeks ago was like "so did you guys start planning your parade for your stanley cup next year yet?" I got a good chuckle out of it.

Holy crap I have a lot of yard work to do. The gigantic blizzard we had recently brought down half of a two-trunk tree at the back of our property and the mice stripped the bark from most of our trees below the snow, so we're going to have to treat them to avoid fungal infections. We're taking down a mostly dead tree as well since it harbours a colony of carpenter ants. Have to clear out the new 10x10 garden patch for the corn, beans, and squash, and I have to get the other vegetable bed ready for the tomatoes, peas, beets, and carrots.

I have nothing to study for this summer, and my mother-in-law is moving in, so I'm going to have amazing gardens this year.

Kind of sad that this could be our last year in this house. It isn't perfect, but it is home.

So he would originally go home and listen to his wife or friends complaining about their "bad days" and think that is just silly, I mean that isn't a bad day, you don't know what you are talking about - my bad day trumps your bad day objectively in absolute terms without question. He used to get annoyed at all the complaining as a result.

Then he realized - it doesn't matter if it is absolutely a worse day. People are not absolute logic machines. What matters is relatively speaking they had to them and their frame of reference a really bad day. That was their truth and it was no more or less valid than his. Their response to that bad day was predictable based on how relatively bad to them the day was.

Isn't this like the "consistent happiness" social bias where most people will tend to keep a consistent ratio of happy:bad experiences no matter the social-cultural factors? Pretty awesome - we're such interesting beings:)

Great advice all 'round. You're like a furry little buddha, rmorelan. :P

lucic's latest cheapshot comes just in time to save me the trouble of having to expand on my first sentence

What the hell was that about anyways? I just don't understand. Even grapes was pissy about it, and I generally disagree with him anytime he opens his mouth.

What the hell was that about anyways? I just don't understand. Even grapes was pissy about it, and I generally disagree with him anytime he opens his mouth.

The only thing I can think of is Lucic didn't like that he got hit into the boards... I'm sure there's more to it, probably a comment made or something, but that would be my best guess.

I just had a 'holy crap' moment.

As of last Thursday, I completed all the courses that will go on my med application. My MCAT is done. My ECs will not appreciably change between now and the application deadline.

Right now, my applicant profile is set. What my chances are today, they will remain until interview time, which is the next chance I have of modifying my ability to get into med school next year.

At this point, I've done everything I can to get in. The rest depends on the applicant pools.

I just had a 'holy crap' moment.

As of last Thursday, I completed all the courses that will go on my med application. My MCAT is done. My ECs will not appreciably change between now and the application deadline.

Right now, my applicant profile is set. What my chances are today, they will remain until interview time, which is the next chance I have of modifying my ability to get into med school next year.

At this point, I've done everything I can to get in. The rest depends on the applicant pools.

I wish you the best of luck!! Don't forget us lesser folk when you get in.

Archived