Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Thanks RedLily, I have already started to work with some software to help me prepare for graduate school. I started to use R, which is pretty cool. I am getting the hang of ggplot2 and other methods to sorting data. If anyone is familiar with R any other pckgs I should checkout?

I also saw spiderman today, I didn't think it was a good movie. I wanted to see Heaven is For Real... :(

I actually took a stats course least year and learned all about R! heatmap() and the RColorBrewer package are nice for making 'pretty' figures (grad school's all about knowing how to display your data lol).

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sas is so expensive. did your school provide you with the software? you think it is worth going for the certifications ie sas base programmer etc if you decide to go to industry

I think SAS is still the standard software in industry. My school used R (U of T), but I had access to SAS through a family member. My friends who are doing PhDs in Statistics tell me that they mostly use R.

SAS is more straightforward, but some employers may require proof of proficiency in SAS. In that case the certification would be useful.

What masters program are you in? Biostatistics?

Falling i rather not say my masters, since i already told ppl what school I am going to. I can tell you it uses stats :D

Yeah certification is only like 1.5k which is nothing in the long run. If I have time I will def do it.

right now, I feel so tired. looking forward to sleeping and watching criminal minds, especially since i set up my tv in my bedroom. I something that is weird is that I never watch tv in my family room or living room.

Falling i rather not say my masters, since i already told ppl what school I am going to. I can tell you it uses stats :D

Yeah certification is only like 1.5k which is nothing in the long run. If I have time I will def do it.

right now, I feel so tired. looking forward to sleeping and watching criminal minds, especially since i set up my tv in my bedroom. I something that is weird is that I never watch tv in my family room or living room.

You should ask your supervisor about SAS certification. It may be offered through your school at a discounted rate. I did my first undergraduate degree in Statistics at U of T (erindale). All of the stats department there used R.

Criminal Minds is a great "background" tv series for me. I like having it on in the background while I do other things.

Happy mothers day if there are any mothers on here. (Birdy the only one?). I hope the day treats you well, you deserve it!

Hah, nah, there are a few others. I'm just to most chatty one. :)

And thanks. So far it's been a pretty good day! My son wrote a song he sang to me and my daughter made me a card. It was very cute. Also got tickets for X-Men Days of Future Past for my husband and I. It doesn't come out until the 23rd though.

I had a dream last night that I proved Goldbach's Conjecture (of course, I have no clue how).

I have a degree in mathematics, but I did really poorly (didn't attend class, personal issues etc). I wonder what it was about my day that reminded me about math. I've considered the past few months spending some time re-learning mathematics. I got Cs and Bs in my classes (including the upper year courses) without studying, attending lectures or taking notes so I'm sure I'm capable of doing it.

Is it commonly accepted that dreams don't offer any insight into a person's mind?

I gave up trying to decipher my dreams, they are way too convoluted.

I think right now I just do not care about a lot of things and am starting to live in the present. I feel like we are all going to die in the end so I dont care about a lot of BS.

-what haters think of me (some of them being my extended family members)

-stop being so frugal

-facebook

-politics

I also decided I am not going to many of my extended family's events because I do not like a lot of them.

Random thought: I feel like there are some ppl who just look for faults in ppl, and there is no point trying to change their mind when they are committed to a belief.

Just living life this summer, who cares what haters think.

Edit: my thoughts

-local small businesses are great

-people are nicer in person than on the internet

-when discussing stuff over the internet or by phone if they know who you are they are alot more helpful

Congratulations to everyone who received good news yesterday! Especially to Hockeynut - so glad to see you were accepted to NOSM!

To those on the waiting lists - good luck and I hope you get in off the lists!

To those who weren't successful this year - good luck with improving your applications for next year. I wish you all the best.

For those still waiting to hear back from other schools - I hope you get some good news this week!

Congratulations to everyone who received good news yesterday! Especially to Hockeynut - so glad to see you were accepted to NOSM!

To those on the waiting lists - good luck and I hope you get in off the lists!

To those who weren't successful this year - good luck with improving your applications for next year. I wish you all the best.

For those still waiting to hear back from other schools - I hope you get some good news this week!

Hey thanks a lot Nutrition Runner. I wish you all the best with your dietic internship.

Yeah, congrats on NOSM Hockeynut - I know how badly you wanted it! Will be quite the adjustment from McGill and Montreal, but I think you'll do just fine :)

Congrats on the Mac acceptance!

In all honesty I think the transition from Montreal to Nosm will be much easier than my hometown to Montreal

Congrats on the Mac acceptance!

In all honesty I think the transition from Montreal to Nosm will be much easier than my hometown to Montreal

Thanks! I think I will be choosing U of T, though Mac is a great school. If you're back in June, see you at convocation (though we don't know each other's faces :P )

Anyone else going to be quitting their jobs soon now that results are out? I'm at work right now and it feels so useless. I plan on quitting shortly: don't want to make over $4k this summer so I don't cut into OSAP grants and also think the summer could be used far more effectively.

Anyone else going to be quitting their jobs soon now that results are out? I'm at work right now and it feels so useless. I plan on quitting shortly: don't want to make over $4k this summer so I don't cut into OSAP grants and also think the summer could be used far more effectively.

Wish I could but I don't think I can till the end of June.

Well, I COULD, but I don't want to be a huge jerk.

Congrats on the acceptance jmatt! I'm not with you as I haven't applied, but your idea definitely seems like a good one. What're your plans going to be?

Wish I could but I don't think I can till the end of June.

Well, I COULD, but I don't want to be a huge jerk.

Yeah, I hear you. Quitting my job isn't a jerky thing to do at all. Huge corporation where I don't do anything terribly unique. :P

Congrats on the acceptance jmatt! I'm not with you as I haven't applied, but your idea definitely seems like a good one. What're your plans going to be?

Thanks! Plans so far involve travelling with family to our cottage in Northern Michigan for a few weekends, travelling out east to PEI to visit family I haven't seen in years, and going to a conference in Edmonton. Also just enjoying summer at home with friends and maybe a few trips with them. The weather's getting nicer and I'd rather be spending my days out on a boat on the lake or something like that and not in an office. :P

Yeah, I hear you. Quitting my job isn't a jerky thing to do at all. Huge corporation where I don't do anything terribly unique. :P

Thanks! Plans so far involve travelling with family to our cottage in Northern Michigan for a few weekends, travelling out east to PEI to visit family I haven't seen in years, and going to a conference in Edmonton. Also just enjoying summer at home with friends and maybe a few trips with them. The weather's getting nicer and I'd rather be spending my days out on a boat on the lake or something like that and not in an office. :P

Lobster season's on the go here on the Island so now's a good a time as any to come visit PEI. $6/lb fresh off the docks.

Lobster season's on the go here on the Island so now's a good a time as any to come visit PEI. $6/lb fresh off the docks.

I'm vegan, actually. My family is going to disown me since I wasn't last time I went (~8 years ago). :P I'll just eat more potatoes to make up for it I guess.

Archived