Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sad that I will have to cave and buy a laptop for med school. I love my desktop, mind you I also built it myself so that's probably why it suited my needs perfectly.

That's a big reason I bought a Mac desktop to go with the laptop. With iCloud whatever I do at school transfers over without having to convert a file or email or anything like that. I love my laptop but at home I prefer a desktop.

As per hockeykid that's exactly my point. In my mind the extra $300 for a MacBook Air is worth it.

I'm considering Mol. Genetics at U of T, and hopefully the collaborative program in bioinformatics. My main concern for applying is my lack of programming experience, and my first undergraduate degree was in Math. The poor GPA may make a bioinformatics program hesitant.

I know what you mean, I went in with zero (maybe negative) experience, but if you have an approachable supervisor (aka doesn't hate you for asking questions), it's not too bad. Plus it's not to hard to learn some languages all on your own, there are tons of websites and books that make it pretty manageable. On the flip side though, it's all based on setting the time aside to actually learn it on your own, so you have to make sure you plan your time well :P

The second degree is going really well. Having done poorly once before, I have learned exactly what not to do. I spent some time learning how to study effectively, and I have been trying my best to implement those strategies. The only thing I dislike is my family isn't very supportive of my decision. I get snide remarks from family members about being older (i'm only 24) and taking first year courses. Other than that, I'm really enjoying the experience. I've never had good grades before in non mathematics courses. I almost failed high school biology, but managed an A+ for both introductory Biology courses this past year.

I know I'm not going to make the same mistakes that I did with my first UG, I'm really looking forward to this September. The electives I took during my masters actually made me miss UG, and I'm going to appreciate it more this time around. But I'm going to feel like an old lady… :P Do you notice the age gap much, or feel like you stand out?

I made souvlakia and they were amazing. We ate outside and the neighbour kids came over and shared in the meal. I love it when it warms up and we can spend our evenings outdoors.

Saw that a few people I've been rooting for got in this year. I'm so excited for them! Scary to realize next year around this time I'll be the one refreshing my email over and over and over...

This is a time of transition for a lot of people. Good luck with your new paths this upcoming year. I think all of us have earned a relaxing summer.

I know what you mean, I went in with zero (maybe negative) experience, but if you have an approachable supervisor (aka doesn't hate you for asking questions), it's not too bad. Plus it's not to hard to learn some languages all on your own, there are tons of websites and books that make it pretty manageable. On the flip side though, it's all based on setting the time aside to actually learn it on your own, so you have to make sure you plan your time well :P

I spoke with a graduate coordinator at UBC's bioinformatics program, and she said my recent grades would completely outweigh the poor performance in the past. Definitely another option for me.

I know I'm not going to make the same mistakes that I did with my first UG, I'm really looking forward to this September. The electives I took during my masters actually made me miss UG, and I'm going to appreciate it more this time around. But I'm going to feel like an old lady… :P Do you notice the age gap much, or feel like you stand out?

I don't feel like I stand out, but I notice the age gap when speaking with my younger peers. Things worked out well for me as I found a few people in my classes that were closer to my age.

birdy wasn't it raining all day? i thought u were from waterloo

if it actually stopped raining i would have used a roller to clean up the tennis court. need a break from all this studying. going to get some dinner, and then back to work.

I think it would be cool to own a motorcycle. it would be cool if i lived somewhere I could ride all yr round then that would make it worth it. also would be slightly worried about collisions (i been in an accident where I was just waiting at a red light and some a-hole crashed into me)

birdy wasn't it raining all day? i thought u were from waterloo

if it actually stopped raining i would have used a roller to clean up the tennis court. need a break from all this studying. going to get some dinner, and then back to work.

i also hate working out....went to the gym today. i also do not understand how ppl enjoy walking, i find it so boring. perhaps i should fix my bike, since that is much more interesting than walking. I think those velomobiles would be fun to try, except for when a truck can't see you.

I think it would be cool to own a motorcycle. it would be cool if i lived somewhere I could ride all yr round then that would make it worth it.

I live in PEI. :)

Walking is fun when you do it outside where there are things to see.

oh didn't know that. thats cool, i hear there is good lobster out east. I prefer cold water lobster as opposed to other kinds

thought about my decision about getting a motorcycle, i do not think it is a good idea (bike gets hot, protective gear, noisy, etc).

Right now, I finally feel like I am eating more healthy. been drinking V8 low sodium has like 800mg per 250ml

looking at ways to help fund my education: OSAP, OGS, research/TA positions, etc

edit: been hacking away with R. freaking time consuming sorting all this data. my inner gunner is telling me to push harder to learn more R features, but with that comes a sacrifice from other areas i could be working on.

this weekend gotta work on my cover letter to apply for some jobs such is life.

i wonder will i have a social life in a msc? i know in undergrad in my final yr all i did way study, barely saw ppl outside my

edit2: more thoughts

I also think R is alot more complicated than other software I used. photoshop & lightroom are pretty much a walk in the park compared to R.

edit 3: **** i am going to be so busy with learning stuff and hopefully working. I guess brb to having no social life and brb to not participating in my side hobbies (ie water sports since I have to travel to do them).

i hate my new racket, (aerodrive) prob just going to sell the damn thing, since i dont want to get a leather grip and other bs weight customization techniques. should of stayed with last seasons racket

everyone else is prob out enjoying life, and i am here working away on code....keep on getting errors with my function!!!!!

Hey NathanS I am not trying to be a **** but you and your ignorant opinions can go to hell cause i dont give a **** what you think

I sincerely hope you never go into medicine because you are too quick to diagnose issues without having a 360 degree view of the situation. The last thing we need are more misdiagnosis

Hey NathanS I am not trying to be a **** but you and your ignorant opinions can go to hell cause i dont give a **** what you think

I sincerely hope you never go into medicine because you are too quick to diagnose issues without having a 360 degree view of the situation. The last thing we need are more misdiagnosis

I'm not "diagnosing issues", especially since I'm not a doctor, but on that note, how you responded kind of sums up a lot, best of luck in your future.

My version of give-amouse-a-cookie for med hopefuls:

It's May 19th, so basically it's almost June. If it's June then it's like the whole summer goes by in a flash. If the summer goes by in a flash, then the online applications to med school are open again for the next cycle. Once they're submitted, then it's time for the supplemental info to be submitted. So now it's the Fall. Once that's done, then it's the waiting game to the interview invites :) or rejects :( . By then we're going into winter and 2015 (depends on where you applied), and then it's interview time. Then BOOM it's spring again with more waiting and hopefully an acceptance.

My version of give-amouse-a-cookie for med hopefuls:

It's May 19th, so basically it's almost June. If it's June then it's like the whole summer goes by in a flash. If the summer goes by in a flash, then the online applications to med school are open again for the next cycle. Once they're submitted, then it's time for the supplemental info to be submitted. So now it's the Fall. Once that's done, then it's the waiting game to the interview invites :) or rejects :( . By then we're going into winter and 2015 (depends on where you applied), and then it's interview time. Then BOOM it's spring again with more waiting and hopefully an acceptance.

This is accurate

Archived