Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i am sure these ppl can find me irl. i dont want all these haters to tarnish my reputation as a great researcher. for example van vogh was a great artist but he is known for the artist who cut his ear off. I do not want my rants to overshadow who i am

Van Gogh was considered to be a great artist only after his death. If you don't want to share, then don't. I asked because I was curious, and at the end of the day if you don't go around saying your name is ***** and you go to **** you'll be fine. Ultimately your choice though.

even though my name is hockeykid, i stopped playing hockey a while ago. Now i play tennis, glad to see it as one of the sports you can continue on playing until you are old.

if i were to have kids i would put them in safe sports like the ones in the link below (tennis and golf).

source: http://news.discovery.com/human/life/5-sports-you-can-start-today-and-play-forever.htm

even though my name is hockeykid, i stopped playing hockey a while ago. Now i play tennis, glad to see it as one of the sports you can continue on playing until you are old.

if i were to have kids i would put them in safe sports like the ones in the link below (tennis and golf).

source: http://news.discovery.com/human/life/5-sports-you-can-start-today-and-play-forever.htm

Nothing beats hockey. Beyond that contact sports have been around since human kind, and will continue to be around. Trying to stamp out violence is trying to change human nature which doesn't work(ie: drugs).

We live in a bubble wrap/nanny state where people can't take a bump on the knee or someone saying no to them. Don't stop your kids from doing what they like due to inhibitions such as these.

I hate moving so much. I still have to unpack my clothes and unpack my photography gear. Once again, I feel so exhausted. What make it feel better is that I finally set up the smart TV in my bedroom.

I am actually looking forward to graduate school. Recently i talked to another MSc student and the seems way more interesting than undergrad; rather then just memorizing information I am creating the info.

edit for a response to the ppl above:

tough sports, especially if your child was to compete in gymnastics.

edit:

i create youtube playlists on my tv...feels like my private concert.

WARNING: This is a rant. Maybe even a rant and a half. I apologize in advance but I just need to vent.

I've seen a few too many posts about people trying to get grade bumps or exceptions made for them. It makes me wonder how often this happened in my classes throughout undergrad. It seems so sneaky and unfair. I understand going to a professor and getting them to remark your paper when a mistake has been made- you should get the marks you deserve. But asking for a grade that you don't deserve on the premise that "you need to get into med school" seems like complete BS.

There were just over 4100 people that applied to UOttawa Med this year (a school that sees a high GPA as royal blood). Imagine if all of them asked for a grade bump because "they need to get into med school"? Averages would go through the roof, and grades wouldn't mean anything anymore. We all study in the same system with the same rules. I don't know where people get off thinking they should get special treatment, but it sure is frustrating to know people have to gall to act this way.

This kind of behavior demeans all of the hard work that someone else actually put in to earn the same grade that was just given to a complaining pre-med with a false sense of entitlement. Sure, it might just be 1-3% to get you to the next grade point range, which seems ok right? But when someone else worked hard and studied hard to get that grade, it should mean a lot more. If you got an 84%, accept your 3.7 and work harder in the next course to make sure you get >85%. Mistakes are costly when you're pursuing med, but the person making the mistake should be the one paying the price - not their classmates, not the integrity of the academic institution. We've all heard the old adage, 'learn from your mistakes'. Well, this is only true if you also have to deal with the real consequences of these mistakes. So suck it up, accept your grade, accept your fate. Because every time you ask for a grade you don't deserve you're making it more difficult for someone else, someone who worked harder than you did. Plus, it will make you a better person in the long run.

Point of rant: Asking for a grade you didn't earn is not only hurting yourself, it's hurting others. Please don't.

urgh i need to go shopping for clothes. i hate going to the mall...i have to shop in person because i tired buying clothes online before and that didn't turn out so well.

i need

-jeans, chinos

-baseball long sleeve shirts

-denim oxford shirt

-casual leather boots

^watch after I buy these items it becomes super hot

something that made me happy is that my father started to research what my masters is about lol. :D :D :D

___

Also have to work on unpacking..... :(

urgh i need to go shopping for clothes. i hate going to the mall...i have to shop in person because i tired buying clothes online before and that didn't turn out so well.

i need

-jeans, chinos

-baseball long sleeve shirts

-denim oxford shirt

-casual leather boots

^watch after I buy these items it becomes super hot

something that made me happy is that my father started to research what my masters is about lol. :D :D :D

___

Also have to work on unpacking..... :(

You hate a lot of things apparently.

Pessimists have been linked to higher mortality rates, just some food for thought.

NathanS I have been in the awful transition state, which could explain for my abnormally high pessimistic views. I am also recovering from exams. I actually forgot that there was a life outside of school. When I am in exam mode I forgo everything else

^ I am finally done unpacking :D, feels great to be done and to have my room clean.

With relation to that article I really admire optimists they seem so full of positive energy; however, I can only handle them in short dosages.

p.s. cant say i ever enjoyed going to the mall; I do not like waiting in lines and I do not like driving, in addition to Toronto having some of the worst traffic problems I ever experienced.

I am feeling better now that I figured out some grad school stuff out now and done packing.

As someone finishing up grad school (masters), congrats on being accepted and I hope you enjoy the experience! It can be stressful at times, but doesn't everything have some level of stress? And I know everyone's experience is unique, but for me it has been very rewarding. You gain a lot of skills you might otherwise not, plus it's a great way to see if you enjoy/like research.

NathanS I have been in the awful transition state, which could explain for my abnormally high pessimistic views. I am also recovering from exams. I actually forgot that there was a life outside of school. When I am in exam mode I forgo everything else

^ I am finally done unpacking :D, feels great to be done and to have my room clean.

With relation to that article I really admire optimists they seem so full of positive energy; however, I can only handle them in short dosages.

p.s. cant say i ever enjoyed going to the mall; I do not like waiting in lines and I do not like driving, in addition to Toronto having some of the worst traffic problems I ever experienced.

I am feeling better now that I figured out some grad school stuff out now and done packing.

And I wouldn't say you're a pessimist, just very vocal in your dislikes :P

Thanks RedLily, I have already started to work with some software to help me prepare for graduate school. I started to use R, which is pretty cool. I am getting the hang of ggplot2 and other methods to sorting data. If anyone is familiar with R any other pckgs I should checkout?

I also saw spiderman today, I didn't think it was a good movie. I wanted to see Heaven is For Real... :(

Archived