Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

I just had a 'holy crap' moment.

As of last Thursday, I completed all the courses that will go on my med application. My MCAT is done. My ECs will not appreciably change between now and the application deadline.

Right now, my applicant profile is set. What my chances are today, they will remain until interview time, which is the next chance I have of modifying my ability to get into med school next year.

At this point, I've done everything I can to get in. The rest depends on the applicant pools.

best of luck :) I am of course hoping for your success!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course not. I'm angling to take over for rmorelan as the sage, experienced voice when he gets too busy. :D

(Kidding!)

the first and most important responsibility for anyone in any position of importance is to find their replacement.

It would be a challenge to find someone better

Do doctors and people who get in to med school look down on other healthcare professionals like nurses and pharmacists?

Comes to mind:

Should we also have a section for technologists? how about nursing aids and the custodians? We could take away therapists and throw in baby screen watchers if you'd like?

This site is "pre-med" for "pre-medical students." The alternate sections such as nursing, dental, therapy &c. was more so created for the "oops university is harder than I thought" students.

However, I encourage you to reach for your dreams or bloody primate babies, its beautiful. Life and what not.

Power to you females, hurahh!!!

No, I don't think most people look down on other professions though. They all have unique skills and talents. In the end, everyone wants what's best for the patient. (Not a med student/doctor, though, so my remarks are based on what I've heard from others in the field)

the first and most important responsibility for anyone in any position of importance is to find their replacement.

It would be a challenge to find someone better

That's quite the compliment, thank you.

I really was just kidding, though. You'd be very difficult to replace, so I hope for all of our sakes that you don't get too busy in the near future. :)

Do doctors and people who get in to med school look down on other healthcare professionals like nurses and pharmacists?

Sadly, that still happens. I think Nursing has it much worse though in this case. In the end, your patient is the main concern and not someone's ego (or whatever reason), so you just have to ignore that aspect and do your job to the best of your ability. Hopefully, they see the results of your intervention....no better way to change someone's mindset. :D

i need to stop stressing out. It is like I just go from 0 to 150km/hr. how can i get my mind off of grad school, apartments, moving, dating, life planning etc.......?

i know my sig is contradictory to my beliefs it is there because i have a self diagnosed stress prob. i would like to play my guitar but it is 1pm

i need to stop stressing out. It is like I just go from 0 to 150km/hr. how can i get my mind off of grad school, apartments, moving, dating, life planning etc.......?

i know my sig is contradictory to my beliefs it is there because i have a self diagnosed stress prob. i would like to play my guitar but it is 1pm

Stressing is a human response, if it is kept in check can be beneficial, however, if it isn't kept in check can cause health problems. If you are having serious problems controlling it I would recommend seeing a physician about some anti anxiety meds perhaps. If it's small and you can still function with it, you just find you stress about a lot of things try thinking about it in a logical way. There's a good quote I saw the other day "worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but will get you no where". You could try looking at things from this perspective.

If for example you look at grad school. You can get stressed and worry about it, but at the end of the day will that help you get in? Probably not. This may help, or it may not. Ultimately I would find something to take your mind off of it, for some it's sports, others it's movies, music, etc.

You need to learn how to deal effectively with stress. Like Nathan said, stress is part of life. But you need to learn how to cope with stress and how to effectively deal with it.

Does your university or community have a stress management centre where you can take stress management workshops or learn relaxation techniques? At Guelph we have a "High Performance and Stress Management Centre" that runs seminars, workshops and courses for students, staff and community members. You learn ways to deal with stress in an effective manner, and a variety of relaxation techniques.

If that sort of service isn't available to you, you can look for podcasts or books on stress management and relaxation. Some techniques you can search to try include progressive muscle relaxation and autogenic training. Even simple breathing exercises can help to deal with stress. There's a "breathe to relax" app that is quite useful, and I've found several podcasts with progressive muscle relaxation scripts.

Good luck!

The simplest things always excite me so much.

I bought a pair of Vibram shoes for the gym, and I can't wait to try them out :)

Enjoy mine a lot for squatting and other floor work (deads, hang cleans, power cleans, etc).

Wouldn't use them for anything else though.

When I bought my first pair 4 years ago they were annoying because i couldn't get through a session without someone bugging me about them. I didn't know so many ppl paid attention to the footwear of others lol

Had another one of those "holy crap" moments.

The people getting acceptances in two weeks are going to be the people making the interview videos I'll laugh/try to avoid tearing up at next year. They'll be the ones welcoming me (hopefully!) to interviews. I might billet with a couple of them for interview weekends. Our clerkships and residencies will overlap. The people I'm cheering for now, I might be getting coffee with in a couple years.

My future schoolmates and colleagues will find out in two weeks.

I'm so excited for them!

The simplest things always excite me so much.

I bought a pair of Vibram shoes for the gym, and I can't wait to try them out :)

I have two pairs and I love the ugly little things so very much. They are great for climbing trees and walking around in the woods - you can really feel what's going on under your feet. I wear them everywhere I can (unfortunately, work would frown on neon blue shoes) when the weather is above freezing.

I hope you enjoy them!

Had another one of those "holy crap" moments.

The people getting acceptances in two weeks are going to be the people making the interview videos I'll laugh/try to avoid tearing up at next year. They'll be the ones welcoming me (hopefully!) to interviews. I might billet with a couple of them for interview weekends. Our clerkships and residencies will overlap. The people I'm cheering for now, I might be getting coffee with in a couple years.

My future schoolmates and colleagues will find out in two weeks.

I'm so excited for them!

I think I speak for everyone on this forum when I say that it would be super awesome to have you as a colleague and friend in the near future, Birdy! It's always great to read your posts and see the fresh/different perspective you can bring to the conversation. I'll definitely have my fingers crossed tightly for you throughout the next application cycle :)

i have listen to an audiobook on living in the present to be zen like. seems like my stress isn't too bad now. kind of slacking on my summer plans for today (played some tennis, played guitar, went to the gym, did some programming). right now trying to play Cod: Ghosts but there is an update....

sticky situation: this past week some girl who i just met while I was out running an errand asked for my # but i diverted then she asked for my email so i didn't know how to say no so i just gave it. I dont plan on responding...just hoping she just leaves me alone. when she was asking me about what i like to do I said the most boring things possible.

Never knew what people meant by "burnout" with regards to studying...

now i know :(. Exams have went on forever and I still have a week more. honestly could not study a thing today, i feel so ashamed of myself T___T

do better next time! :) A lot of schools are forgiving of bad first years

Dude this is exactly how I feel. Completely burned out. Our official exam period this year went from April 8th- April 30th.. I feel completely burned out right now and the last few days before orgo are passing soooo slowly it's not even funny.

Enjoy mine a lot for squatting and other floor work (deads, hang cleans, power cleans, etc).

Wouldn't use them for anything else though.

When I bought my first pair 4 years ago they were annoying because i couldn't get through a session without someone bugging me about them. I didn't know so many ppl paid attention to the footwear of others lol

Yeah, I bought them for squatting and deadlifting. I'll use them for cardio as well, but I only bought them so I wouldn't have to keep taking my shoes off in the gym. Plus I think they look really cool! Lol.

I also considered getting a pair of Chucks, but ultimately today I decided to go with Vibrams.

I have two pairs and I love the ugly little things so very much. They are great for climbing trees and walking around in the woods - you can really feel what's going on under your feet. I wear them everywhere I can (unfortunately, work would frown on neon blue shoes) when the weather is above freezing.

I hope you enjoy them!

I don't think they're ugly at all. I think 'spiffy' would describe them perfectly! I haven't had the experience of wearing these things in cold weather yet, but people have told me that it's absolutely terrible because they provide no insulation. It's not a huge deal because I'll only be wearing them at the gym most likely.

My feet are way too flat for them or I'd try them out. I have to have orthotics in my shoes when I go for a run or I won't be able to walk for the rest of the day.

What's actually on my mind: Printers are horrible, you would've thought with all the other developments, we could've made printers that actually work.

a classmate once said to me "they need to make a printer that just prints. no other functions, and it can be black and white only. their slogan can be 'this printer works.' all they'd have to do is guarantee that a) it works, and B) they have sufficient IT support for when it (rarely) breaks down."

Also having ink that's cheaper than molten gold would help. :P But seriously, it's the only device that takes 5+ tries to get it to work. There's not that many points along the way for the information to be lost.

Archived