Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2015

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a bit of a lighter question, but for those who attended the interview today, does anyone know the song they used in the admissions video? :P It was really catchy but I can't find it anywhere because I didn't know the name. 

The ones I remember are:

Up We Go (Lights)

Riptide

And of course, Shake it Off. 

Sorry if none of those are what you're thinking of xD

Edited: to attribute the correct artist to a song haha

I'm thinking most of the March 7 interviews went out today, and that they're mostly done scheduling for that weekend.. Would love to be proved wrong though.

Not sure if it is proof or excessive hope on my part, but it does look like they continued to send out March 8 invites today. So, it is not like they sent out a complete "March 8 batch" on Friday and a complete "March 7 batch" Saturday. I do not think that they are done scheduling for that weekend, but the chances of those who haven't heard back obviously dwindle with each passing day lol :(  

I was hoping for that too! I believe Leon is referring to the people interviewing today, though (today's the first day).

Is there a chance results will come out on a weekend? 

My bad! I was wishing the interviewees. Admissions reps tend to be busy on the interview weekends so I wouldn't anticipate invites on the weekends.

I know it's a long wait but hang in there! Your files are assessed very holistically and invites go out for a long time. There is hope yet!

ETA:  k nvm looks like some went out today? I'm surprised haha. Good luck everyone.

Not sure if it is proof or excessive hope on my part, but it does look like they continued to send out March 8 invites today. So, it is not like they sent out a complete "March 8 batch" on Friday and a complete "March 7 batch" Saturday. I do not think that they are done scheduling for that weekend, but the chances of those who haven't heard back obviously dwindle with each passing day lol :(

I got a March 8th invite on Saturday evening (as did a couple other people in the invite thread).

@jon77

It takes a lot more time for universities to try to be holistic in their admissions process. Combing through whole applications and essays takes a lot more time than saying "sorry you didn't get 11 on verbal you're out of the running" or "sorry you didn't get 3.9 GPA you're out too" with arbitrary cut-offs. I got into toronto a few years ago and I appreciated that they took the time to read my whole application....which takes a lot of time. A lot of the admissions process involves tons and tons of med students and faculties volunteering their time to actually read your whole file and consider you as a whole person. You can prepare this whole time for interviews if you want - you don't have wait until invites come out to start prepping. You could start now or last month if you wanted. An alternative to sending out files as they are reviewed is to do all the interviews in april and make everyone (applicants, med students, faculty) take week days off to get everything done on time, but that is pushing it for time and not really realistic. Once you get into med school and see the other side of admissions you'll see that people are not sitting around napping with piles of applications scattered all around them. Also you are going to have to get used to this stressful waiting process because it happens again for residency applications (and is in some ways more stressful because you basically only have 1 application cycle to get into the specialty of your choice) and then you might have to do it again for fellowships or jobs. The waiting process sucks a lot especially if you have to apply a few years to get into med school. Whining and calling the school you want to attend a joke is a bit silly. If you looked it up online you would see that this is the process every single year so just don't apply if the school is such a joke and you don't want to attend.

Meh I'm in med school, and I also think u of Ts process is kind of disrespectful. Just because it's been like that for years doesn't mean it's okay... Giving people less than a week notice for interviews (last year) is ridiculous. Flights from the west would likely be 700 bucks at that point.

And there is really no reason to not reject anyone until late April. Even if they are keeping a maybe pile, they should still be able to reject at least half the applicants in a timely manner and not string people out.

Plus, I have a hard time believing it's because they are "holistic" with the average gpa as high as it is. Yes, they have to read 7 essays. Calgary's app has 10 essays, albeit a little shorter. Mac has Casper, etc...

I'm not saying the admissions office is lazy or anything, only that it seems to be an extension of the God complex that seems to be fairly prevalent at U of T in general. They are the "best" and can therefore do whatever they please.

I'm sure all the u of t med students are lovely people, this has just been my experience.

Or tell all the rest applicants that they are on the waitlist. :P  ;)

Meh I'm in med school, and I also think u of Ts process is kind of disrespectful. Just because it's been like that for years doesn't mean it's okay... Giving people less than a week notice for interviews (last year) is ridiculous. Flights from the west would likely be 700 bucks at that point.
And there is really no reason to not reject anyone until late April. Even if they are keeping a maybe pile, they should still be able to reject at least half the applicants in a timely manner and not string people out.

Plus, I have a hard time believing it's because they are "holistic" with the average gpa as high as it is. Yes, they have to read 7 essays. Calgary's app has 10 essays, albeit a little shorter. Mac has Casper, etc...

I'm not saying the admissions office is lazy or anything, only that it seems to be an extension of the God complex that seems to be fairly prevalent at U of T in general. They are the "best" and can therefore do whatever they please.

I'm sure all the u of t med students are lovely people, this has just been my experience.

I think this is because UofT asks us to submit their essays via OMSAS. So the reality is, they don't even get people's complete files until early - mid December. And the university is closed for 2 weeks around that time. Mac uses their own CASPer system, and so does Calgary (I assume, I've never actually applied there) so it's easier to organize and compile applications.

I think this is because UofT asks us to submit their essays via OMSAS. So the reality is, they don't even get people's complete files until early - mid December. And the university is closed for 2 weeks around that time. Mac uses their own CASPer system, and so does Calgary (I assume, I've never actually applied there) so it's easier to organize and compile applications.

Fair point, but I sort of think that's something they should sort out, like Mac has.

Especially since Omsas is the worst platform ever to submit essays... The character count doesn't even work properly.

It also doesn't explain the other issues I mentioned...

Archived