Premed 101 Forums

Help! *currently Outstanding* Reference Letter On Omsas?

Guys I'm freaking out. I submitted yesterday and just checked OMSAS and it shows one of my reference letters as "Currently Outstanding" which means they have not received it yet !!! My referee told me he mailed it in last week...... Ahh does this mean UofT is out of the equation?? any insights?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an "outstanding" letter as well - it was for sure mailed out two weeks ago. I'm presuming they've been received and simply not updated (at least, that's what I'm hoping for haha). My MCAT score is also "pending" and I had it sent by AAMC in July. 

ETA (from "Help" section on the application receipt page):

All MCAT scores are currently showing as "Pending". This status will change on October 7. At that time, if your scores are showing as "Not Received", you need to do one or both of the following:

When i called OMSAS yesterday about this they were still processing mail from the 28th... They stamp everything with the date it comes in but are going to be a few days to update the system. You can call after the 16th to verify that your letters were in fact received on time. 

This leaves many of us with anxiety (myself included), but unfortunately the only thing to do at this point is wait. Good luck to everyone!

I think where letters come from and how they are doing the processing is probably all playing into this. I try to not worry about things that are out of my control. At this point in the process, this is one of those things. All we can do at this point is wait to call to verify dates of receipt later on. 

I have one letter sent on Sept 21 that is currently outstanding. I don't know if this is normal or if it should have arrived by now. Worst case scenario, it got lost in the mail and I have to ask my referee to resend. 

First time through this process so a little nervous with everything. Hopefully everything will resolve itself. 

Don't worry guys, I was in the same boat last year, but they just take a long time to update.

They get approximately 6000 applicants every cycle, and at 3 letters (or more for MD/PhD) per applicant, they're quite busy.

If it's still pending within a week, maybe give them a call.

For now, just relax! The application is over :)

I called them up today, and they told me that they're up to letters received on September 28th today. I know mine was sent mid-August and it still says it hasn't been received...

They told me that either a) my referee made changes to the information sheet details or b ) my letter was lost in the mail. It might be worth asking your referees if they made changes to the sheet if your letter is still outstanding.

I called them up today, and they told me that they're up to letters received on September 28th today. I know mine was sent mid-August and it still says it hasn't been received...

They told me that either a) my referee made changes to the information sheet details or b ) my letter was lost in the mail. It might be worth asking your referees if they made changes to the sheet if your letter is still outstanding.

I believe I spoke to the same person today who told me this exact info. Although one of my referees unbeknownst to me actually called in because she was so concerned - they told her not to worry, that "they have a flood of documents they are processing right now. It is very likely in a pile and they will get to it eventually... they try to process everything in the order it is received but so many come it that that is not always the case". I guess they told her again and again not to panic, that it would be solved in the "next 3 weeks". Her letter was sent in on Sept. 8th from very close-by the application centre.

In other words, fingers crossed it is still lingering at the bottom of a pile somewhere! 

I believe I spoke to the same person today who told me this exact info. Although one of my referees unbeknownst to me actually called in because she was so concerned - they told her not to worry, that "they have a flood of documents they are processing right now. It is very likely in a pile and they will get to it eventually... they try to process everything in the order it is received but so many come it that that is not always the case". I guess they told her again and again not to panic, that it would be solved in the "next 3 weeks". Her letter was sent in on Sept. 8th from very close-by the application centre.

In other words, fingers crossed it is still lingering at the bottom of a pile somewhere! 

I mean I don't mind having it sent in again... I'll probably do that if my referee tells me that he didn't make any alterations to the sheet just so I'm sure that OMSAS has my letter before November 1. This is just such a mess... they need a better system if they're going to have deadlines for certain schools.

I mean I don't mind having it sent in again... I'll probably do that if my referee tells me that he didn't make any alterations to the sheet just so I'm sure that OMSAS has my letter before November 1. This is just such a mess... they need a better system if they're going to have deadlines for certain schools.

They really do, and they should just take a quick look at AMCAS to see how much better that system works for everybody.

In the same boat here.

Two letters marked as "currently outstanding" when both of them were sent early September. Whereas my third letter is marked as "received" when it was only sent last week. Having a hard time understanding why this is the case.

Anxiety levels are at a super high for sure.

Letter sent Sept 21st- received

Letter sent early Sept- currently outstanding

Letter sent mid-August- currently outstanding

I can't figure these guys out. What is the method to their madness? Just dump all the letters into one massive pile and wait until the last few weeks to start processing everything? Is it the luck of the draw if your stuff gets pulled out of the pile? Yup, that's why we pay hundreds of dollars in processing fees, so that they can not update things as they come or claim that it's "lost." I am really hoping my letters aren't actually lost since I've already confirmed yet again they were sent on time and with no alternations to the form. Applying to NOSM and really not sure how much this is going to hurt the application I just spent so much time writing if refs have to be sent again and therefore are late.

I will be calling OMSAS tomorrow morning and will let you know if the bureaucrats over there have any updates and if they are actually doing their job. Some of you have said they are up to date until the 28th, although mine and some others' experiences on the forum would indicate not. I am committed to getting some confirmation on this for the sakes of all our sanities. If they are absolutely sure they are up to date, it's a royal mess so for those of you were pretty early like I was and know mail doesn't take 6 weeks, it's in our best interests to have refs re-send.

Archived