Premed 101 Forums

Interesting story:

So this happened a few months ago when I was at Downtown Eastside.  I was at my volunteering shift with a non-profit group that provides food for the homeless.  One night, I was basically greeting people and handing out sandwiches when suddenly I saw from the corner of my eye a guy that had a med backpack on :lol:; he was definitely not a med student lol.  It was the blue one that second years have.  I thought of maybe starting a conversation with him, but he quickly grabbed some soup and sandwiches and left.

1 hour ago, Neurophiliac said:

Interesting story:

So this happened a few months ago when I was at Downtown Eastside.  I was at my volunteering shift with a non-profit group that provides food for the homeless.  One night, I was basically greeting people and handing out sandwiches when suddenly I saw from the corner of my eye a guy that had a med backpack on :lol:; he was definitely not a med student lol.  It was the blue one that second years have.  I thought of maybe starting a conversation with him, but he quickly grabbed some soup and sandwiches and left.

Yeah a few people in my class have donated them to thrift stores lol... probably not the best idea but they’re nice quality backpacks and if you’re not gonna use it it’s sad for it to go to waste. Mine is sitting with the tags still on in my closet because I don’t use it but I don’t know what to do with it 

15 minutes ago, NKcell said:

Yeah a few people in my class have donated them to thrift stores lol... probably not the best idea but they’re nice quality backpacks and if you’re not gonna use it it’s sad for it to go to waste. Mine is sitting with the tags still on in my closet because I don’t use it but I don’t know what to do with it 

That's awesome!  I've heard that before too, that's why it was really cool to see it in person :).  Maybe you can use it once your current one is worn out, or maybe you can donate it as well if you're not planning to use it?  I agree they're comfortable and are good quality.  Do you say it's probably not the best idea since it has the CMA and the Doctors of BC logos on there?

18 minutes ago, Sp0ngeb0bsquarepants said:

I have heard there is some sort of voting system by the students for the backpack colour. Is that just a rumour?

They do have a voting thing but I think it's just for fun, right?

40 minutes ago, Neurophiliac said:

That's awesome!  I've heard that before too, that's why it was really cool to see it in person :).  Maybe you can use it once your current one is worn out, or maybe you can donate it as well if you're not planning to use it?  I agree they're comfortable and are good quality.  Do you say it's probably not the best idea since it has the CMA and the Doctors of BC logos on there?

They do have a voting thing but I think it's just for fun, right?

Yeah I mean I guess it’s actually not bad but just because the backpacks are associated with med school and in BC, ubc med, and so you wanna be professional while you’re wearing it. But if a random person is using it you can’t control their behaviour, which could elicit negative perception. But honestly who cares you’re right. I don’t feel comfortable using my backpack for many reasons which is why I use other more discrete bags, but I think I’ll keep mine for sentimental reasons or for travel (can stuff a lot in there!) 

12 minutes ago, NKcell said:

Yeah I mean I guess it’s actually not bad but just because the backpacks are associated with med school and in BC, ubc med, and so you wanna be professional while you’re wearing it. But if a random person is using it you can’t control their behaviour, which could elicit negative perception. But honestly who cares you’re right. I don’t feel comfortable using my backpack for many reasons which is why I use other more discrete bags, but I think I’ll keep mine for sentimental reasons or for travel (can stuff a lot in there!) 

That definitely makes sense.  Keeping it for sentimental value is completely understandable too.  And yes, they’re so spacious!  Very good for travel haha :lol:

• 5 weeks later...