Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites/Regrets (2019-2020)

4 minutes ago, plsdontletthisbeawaste said:

TIME STAMP: 5:04PM PST (Monday, December 9, 2019)
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 83.05 OGPA (not eligible for AGPA yet)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 (129/126/128/131)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Undergraduate
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP; first time applying
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):
Tons of research, stipends, conferences, and a first-author pub.
Significant team/leadership experience, employment history, recreational sports, mentoring/coaching, hospital volunteering, other community stuff

NAQ Range: 50th - 74.99th Percentile
My Result: From using the inspector tool, looks like my TFR was 47. IP cutoff was 52 and OOP cutoff was 63. (Is it fair to say an 83 average is around 19 AQ?)

Time to figure out what to do with myself and my life. This is what I get for taking unnecessary difficult courses; so many regrets (<-- find that funny UBC??)

How did you use the inspector tool to see your score? I've been trying to figure it out but I can't find it :/

12 minutes ago, plsdontletthisbeawaste said:

TIME STAMP: 5:04PM PST (Monday, December 9, 2019)
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 83.05 OGPA (not eligible for AGPA yet)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 (129/126/128/131)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Undergraduate
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP; first time applying
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):
Tons of research, stipends, conferences, and a first-author pub.
Significant team/leadership experience, employment history, recreational sports, mentoring/coaching, hospital volunteering, other community stuff

My Result: From using the inspector tool, looks like my TFR was 47. IP cutoff was 52 and OOP cutoff was 63. (Is it fair to say an 83 average is around 19 AQ?)

Time to figure out what to do with myself and my life. This is what I get for taking unnecessary difficult courses; so many regrets (<-- find that funny UBC??)

The AQ formula for the 2017/2018 cycle was worked out to be AQ = 1.6246 * AGPA - 115.57. So yeah your AQ should be about 19.35. I couldn't find the formula from last cycle, but I think the formula doesn't really change from year to year

TIME STAMP: 4:59PM PST (Monday, December 9, 2019)
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 82.63 OGPA 
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 512 (128/127/130/127)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): B.Sc
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP; first time applying
Lots of local non-profit work, 2 club presidents on campus, International volunteering, national board member for a non-profit, tons of athletics and intramurals, ELL volunteer, Senior care home volunteer for 2 years, Lab Assistant (2 semesters)

My Result: From using the inspector tool, my TFR was 45. GPA killed me. Took Biochemistry when it used to be a pre-requisite for med and got a C+ in both semesters. Killed my GPA those semesters and I partied too much in first year which was a complete write-off. Really upset that those two courses are stuck on my transcript from third year and that I didn't have the vision as a 17/18 year old in first year (I'm now 24). 

I'm taking a second bachelor's degree in the hope to raise my GPA to a point where it doesn't completely ruin my chances of applying. Too bad the average GPA increases every year and it's still worth 50% of the pre-interview evaluation. 

10 minutes ago, HopefulMDDD said:

should I call them and see how much it is away from the cut-off?

I dont even see a red bar!!!

1505532866_ScreenShot2019-12-09at9_20_03PM.thumb.png.1cd5675c699fa3a2b7ec1d2ac6468ebe.png

Someone earlier in the thread had posted the email response from OAS which included the line above. It sucks that you just missed the cut off but it definitely is a positive indictor of your strength as a candidate, especially with any IP applications. Don't loose hope!! 

14 minutes ago, BabyYoda said:

even baby yoda cant heal my broken heart. 

can anyone please help me with finding the TFR scores on my inspect element. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 12.08.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 12.11.02 AM.png

Umm I think it just says that your score overlaps with the OOP cut off. From UBC's email, apparently, it could be a bit lower too - they're just grouping it all as "close" to cut-off.

Honestly, that's the most awful thing to see and I can understand how disappointing that is. Hopefully you applied to some schools in your own province though, because with stats like that, you will definitely get in! Best of luck :)

1 minute ago, plsdontletthisbeawaste said:

Umm I think it just says that your score overlaps with the OOP cut off. From UBC's email, apparently, it could be a bit lower too - they're just grouping it all as "close" to cut-off.

Honestly, that's the most awful thing to see and I can understand how disappointing that is. Hopefully you applied to some schools in your own province though, because with stats like that, you will definitely get in! Best of luck :)

How can I determine my TFR? mine is right at the cut-off too

24 minutes ago, HopefulMDDD said:

It doesnt make sense :( it is right at the cut off :(

19 minutes ago, BabyYoda said:

I am right there with you guys, Slider 63 of 63. 

Really bummed too, sucks to be from Ontario.

Edit: the thing I liked the most about the UBC app is that they actually give you a platform to write about your NAQ. My grades aren't that strong but clearly I have an 90+ percentile NAQ section. Yet in Ontario, Queen's entries don't allow you to express your activities, Mac doesn't care and the other schools don't look at you if you don't make the GPA cut off. Really sucks to be from Ontario.

15 minutes ago, BabyYoda said:

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 12.08.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 12.11.02 AM.png

There's 4 numbers (0, 63, 52, and 63 again). The first 63 is for the OOP cutoff so the second 63 is your TFR. These values are rounded, so you probably missed the cutoff by a few decimal points :(