Interview Invites/Regrets (2019-2020)

TIME STAMP: 4:58 EST
Interview Invite or Regrets: Regrets
Early or Regular Deadline: Early
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 88.2
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 511
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSN
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Solid volunteer work and diversity of experience, not much research, no presentations.

NAQ Range: 25-49th percentile
My Result: Regrets, no interview

Gonna have to really look into what I can do to be more competitive, was running myself dry as is. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard!

5 minutes ago, plsdontletthisbeawaste said:

Nah you guys are SO lucky, you have so many schools in Ontario. Us BC students only have UBC and its insanely competitive. I wouldn't stand a chance at any other school in Canada.

Interesting take. I wonder if it's better to have 5 schools with <20% interview rates (and very little IP advantage) or 1 school with a >45% interview rate (and a huge IP advantage). I would personally rather reside in BC. I guess it could be subjective though. 

5 minutes ago, Potentiate said:

Interesting take. I wonder if it's better to have 5 schools with <10% acceptance rates (and very little IP advantage) or 1 school with a >15% acceptance rate (and a huge IP advantage). I would personally rather reside in BC. I guess it could be subjective though. 

Even if it's more competitive per school, there's an overall greater number of seats available for Ontario students. I had to cross off so many Ontario schools on my list this year because the OOP requirements were too high for me. Plus, now that I couldn't get an interview at UBC this year, I'm pretty much DOOMED for med, because there's no way that OOP schools will take me if UBC won't :'(

1 minute ago, plsdontletthisbeawaste said:

Even if it's more competitive per school, there's an overall larger number of seats available for Ontario students. I had to cross off so many Ontario schools on my list this year because the OOP requirements were too high for me. Plus, now that I couldn't get an interview at UBC this year, I'm pretty much DOOMED for med, because there's no way that OOP schools will take me if UBC won't :'(

Interesting - what schools have OOP requirements in Ontario? Other than McMaster I can't think fo any

7 minutes ago, plsdontletthisbeawaste said:

Even if it's more competitive per school, there's an overall greater number of seats available for Ontario students. I had to cross off so many Ontario schools on my list this year because the OOP requirements were too high for me. Plus, now that I couldn't get an interview at UBC this year, I'm pretty much DOOMED for med, because there's no way that OOP schools will take me if UBC won't :'(

Only Mac has OOP requirements. You are considered the same as an Ontarian applicant to all other schools. Ottawa has a separate gpa cut off for out of province but it is mostly inconsequential. Western has a separate stream for southwestern Ontario applicants that makes it even tougher for the general Ontario population.

TIME STAMP: 4:58 PST
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 82.85
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 515
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSN and BSc
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Solid volunteer work, leadership, RN x3 years (1 year critical care)

NAQ Range: 75-100th percentile
My Result: Regrets, no interview - first time applying. I'm kind of disappointed, but I guess it's expected given my GPA.

Can anyone explain what my NAQ might be and whether it'll be worth trying again next year?

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 9.42.38 PM.png

29 minutes ago, Allthegoodnamesaretaken said:

@BabyYoda I'm sorry I can't help you with the slider score, but would you mind just double checking the time you posted on your other post pretty please?. You got the rejection email at 9:52pm EST?! Aka 6:52pm pst? 

oops i made a big error. my email time was not in EST. official timestamp was 8:52 EST

TIME STAMP: 8:52 EST
Early or Regular Deadline: Regular Deadline
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 93.88
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB):  130/128/131/130
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 4th Yr UG
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):

1 summer of NSERC research, worked with habitat for humanity for 8 months, some long-term community volunteering (mosque, community centre), SicKids hospital volunteering, Summer camp teacher, Teaching assistant,lots of academic scholarships and awards, Table tennis team captain (then assistant coach), peer tutoring in high school, Vice pres of waterloo pre-pharmacy club, GapMeds shadowing abroad, hiking, research presentation, wrote a 25 page health and nutrition book, weightlifting hobby, intramural basketball. No publications (i have no earthly idea how undergrads get pubs. if ur a UG with a pub, props to you).

I wasnt able to fill up the categories of non-academic activities cuz i didn't have much time to do my application and the dealine came fast.

NAQ: 50 -74.99th percentile
AQ: i dont know how to check and
TFR: im going to cry

Good luck to everyone who applied, I hope you find a cozy spot in medical school. to those who only see regrets, next year will come around.

why do we fall? so that we can learn to pick ourselves back up. I tried to make this post mimic wat my app was like, hope it helps!

15 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

Only Mac has OOP requirements. You are considered the same as an Ontarian applicant to all other schools. Ottawa has a separate gpa cut off for out of province but it is mostly inconsequential. Western has a separate stream for southwestern Ontario applicants that makes it even tougher for the general Ontario population.

Oh woah I didn't realize that. I guess in that sense, it's very difficult then even as an Ontario student. WELL then, now which province should we move to and become a resident in? Manitoba? :wacko:

9 minutes ago, ptRN said:

TIME STAMP: 4:58 PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): 82.85
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 515
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSN and BSc
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Solid volunteer work, leadership, RN x3 years (1 year critical care)

NAQ Range: 75-100th percentile
My Result: Regrets, no interview - first time applying. I'm kind of disappointed, but I guess it's expected given my GPA.

Can anyone explain what my NAQ might be and whether it'll be worth trying again next year?

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 9.42.38 PM.png

I had an average of ~82.5% last year and my AQ worked out to being 17 points. Seeing as you're right at the border of receiving an interview (cutoff around ~52), your NAQ is probably close to approaching 35 in total points. I think anyone who receives a score that close to the cutoff will get an interview in some years. This was unfortunately not one of those years, but I would encourage you to apply again. 

There were some people earlier who posted how last year they got waitlisted for being apart of the entering class yet this year didn't even receive an interview, so there's variation and you're definitely close to an invite!

3 minutes ago, HongHongHong said:

I had an average of ~82.5% last year and my AQ worked out to being 17 points. Seeing as you're right at the border of receiving an interview (cutoff around ~52), your NAQ is probably close to approaching 35 in total points. I think anyone who receives a score that close to the cutoff will get an interview in some years. This was unfortunately not one of those years, but I would encourage you to apply again. 

There were some people earlier who posted how last year they got waitlisted for being apart of the entering class yet this year didn't even receive an interview, so there's variation and you're definitely close to an invite!

Thanks for getting back to me HongHongHong. Do you by chance know if they have a "secret" interview waitlist where UBC offer last minute interviews to previously rejected applicant if someone can't make the interview?

42 minutes ago, plsdontletthisbeawaste said:

Nah you guys are SO lucky, you have so many schools in Ontario. Us BC students only have UBC and it's insanely competitive. I wouldn't stand a chance at any other school in Canada.

We have lots of schools but only 1 shows IP bias (mac). For uofT, queens, and Ottawa us applying there have the same shot as someone from BC. 

Some schools in Ontario do have lots of high cutoffs but its the same regardless of if you are from Ontario or not (besides uOttawa's difference of 0.02 in GPA cutoff, which is negligible).

I understand it must be rough only having one school in your province but Ontario students don't have it any better. It's tough for all of us in this process.

1 hour ago, ptRN said:

Thanks for getting back to me HongHongHong. Do you by chance know if they have a "secret" interview waitlist where UBC offer last minute interviews to previously rejected applicant if someone can't make the interview?

I don't, but I don't think they need to. There are only 288 seats but they send out over double that in interview invitations, there would need to be something like 200-300 people missing their interview for them to go back and offer interviews to rejected candidates. 

TIME STAMP: 12/9 1:32pm PST
GPA or AGPA (if applicable): AGPA: 89.72 (uni GPA was 3.82/4)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 522 (130/130/130/132)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Bachelors
Geography (IP/OOP): IP 
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): 2 scholarships, honors distinctions for grades + other minor awards; 240 hours clinical volunteering; 3 years of research (no pubs, 1st author on 3 abstracts/posters at campus conferences); lots of campus involvement & leadership (moving up within organizations); TA for 2 years; lots of commitment to serving communities; hobbies & travel experiences; worked various jobs since I was 16. (I didn't put anything in the research section or for high performance.) 

NAQ Range: 0-24.99th percentile
My Result: Total Score of 49. 

I was surprised that my NAQ was as low as it was, I thought it would at least be a bit closer to average. This is my first time applying so I'm wondering if maybe I didn't word my entries as well as I thought? I'm working two jobs this year that I think would be good for next year's app. Does anyone have insight on boosting your NAQ with only a couple extra entries???  

Pretty bummed they didn't get a chance to look at my MCAT & LOR's. Here's to hoping that they'll be good enough to get consideration as an OOP at other schools.