Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: waitlisted (fingers crossed this changes to an acceptance soon) 

timestamp: 6:45PST

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 522 (128) 

ECs: please see previous posts or PM me

Year: graduated HBSc 2017

Interview: felt bad about 2 stations, meh about 1, good about 3. Panel felt good

Fingers crossed! 

Result: Waitlist 

Timestamp: 8:46

GPA: 4.0 

MCAT: 522

ECs: enough diversity of science/arts and some typical premed things

Geography: OOP

Interviews: MMI started with the type of station I love (I missed Queen's old interview style!) but then the rest were cringey. One was so bad I couldn't wait to get out of there. Panel went terrible terrible. I came out of it even more frazzled than MMIs and thinking What da heck was that?! I was fully expecting a rejection but maybe I had a strong advocate from my first station. Future applicants - anything is possible.

Year: MSc

Timestamp: 7:46 AM CST

GPA: 3.75

MCAT: 513

ECs: Research (5 first author papers and 4 co-author papers, conferences, graduate scholarships including CIHR), student-run health clinic, hospital volunteering, writing tutor, etc.

Interviews: Not so good, especially one of the MMI stations (sooo embarrassing!!!). Wish I had showcased myself better during the panel.

Year: MSc (2016), working for the government of Canada

Timestamp: 5:46 AM PST

GPA: 3.85

MCAT: 518

ECs: diverse

Interviews: MMI felt pretty darn bad tbh... panel was good though.

Year: just graduated w/ BSc. Hons

honestly surprised i didn't get straight up rejected :/ i hear that the waitlist is quite long and moves a decent amount (compared to other schools) but this uncertainty is soooo nerve wracking :(

•  

Result: accepted off waitlist May 22nd, no words can describe my joy, OMSAS and I know each other like best buds at this point.

Waitlist (actually happy since rejected last year :D)

Timestamp: 8:46 AM EST

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 514

ECs: diverse

Geography: IP

Interviews: MMI felt meh.... some decent, one I keep thinking about all the time ug lol. My panel felt great though, showed my personality and the one panelist really seemed to be interested in what I had to say. They had a ton of questions for me.

Year: working

I want to add: to those that got rejected, I know it sucks. It sucks a lot and it's hard to process. But do that, process it, take the time to do whatever you need to do to relax, feel better, etc. There are just SO many good people getting interviews, it's tough to get the acceptance. I think most people will lose sight at the privilege they had of receiving an interview. But do not lose hope. If you think this is the thing you want most, then recuperate your strength and your passion, channel it, and do another rocking application. Maybe you'll land an interview again, maybe you'll get waitlisted (and get in hopefully), or maybe you'll get a straight acceptance. You have a year to work on interview skills, I believe in you, so believe in yourself.

Fellow Waitlisters, I hope the best for all of you. Hopefully, I will meet most of you if we get in. Hold in there, we made it a long way but the journey is NOT over yet.

EDIT: Result: ACCEPTED OFF WAITLIST 

MAY 22; 11:07am PST 

----

Time Stamp: 5:46 AM (PST); May 8

Result: Waitlist (again, sigh)

wGPA: 3.83 

Year: Graduated UG

MCAT: 517 (127 CARS)
ECs: Diverse and pretty long term: >500 hours hospital volunteering, 1st author pub, research grant, long-term employment, volunteering with kids and other populations, mentoring in school and out, club execs etc.

Interview: MMI was ok; had some really great stations, but also had some awkward stations. Panel was better than last year imo- really felt like I connected with my interviewers. 

Congrats to those accepted! 

Result: Waitlist [accepted off waitlist May 30th 3:25PM EST]

Time Stamp: 8:46 EST

wGPA: 3.92

Year: finished 2nd undergrad

MCAT: 514
ECs: working as a public health dietitian up north. See other posts.

Interview: Hard to say. At some stations during the MMI I could see the evaluators nodding in agreement or getting excited when I hit on major points, and other stations I rambled a bit and gave answers that I felt lacked structure or coherence. For the panel, at first my interviewers were pretty stone-faced, then as the interview went on they softened up quite a bit and started smiling. I definitely brought my dietitian experiences and insights to the table, and portrayed myself as a sincere and passionate person, so no regrets there. 

I'm being pessimistic here, so I'll start planning as if I got a rejection and stay away from the forum. Life goes on, I guess...

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 8:43 AM EST

GPA: 3.83

MCAT: 520 (131 CARS)

ECs: Lots but not traditional - teaching sex ed and youth mentoring, student gov, advocacy, some art stuff. 

Interview: Felt good about it. Definitely got good feedback in 3 of the stations. Felt very frazzled during the panel but it doesn't seem to have been an issue. 

Year: Graduated UG

Can't believe I finally get to post this...

TIME STAMP: May 8, 8:43AM
RESULT: ACCEPTED
GPA: 3.94
MCAT: 515
ECs: Working RN, research, health-related volunteering, some RN-related provincial awards.
GEOGRAPHY: IP
INTERVIEW: Walking out I felt like I killed it, but as time went by I started doubting my answers.

To those who are still trying, don't give up! I did 9 years of undergrad including 1st/2nd degrees to get to this point; if you want it bad enough you'll find a way eventually!

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 8:43 AM EST

GPA: 3.85 (wGPA)

MCAT: 511

ECs: Lots but nothing super traditional. I did a lot of things I personally enjoyed. Student gov, art, sports, research...

Interview: Felt 50/50 about the MMI. Felt like an idiot after the first station but they gradually got better. I felt good about the panel.

Year: Graduated UG 2017, working now

I had so much self-doubt especially because I wasn't really a "typical" pre-med student. I didn't have clinical experience and my GPA wasn't super high. I really didn't think I would get in but my advice to you all is to do things you actually enjoy and be able to speak to your strengths! I think that's what will set you apart! Best of luck everyone :) you can do it

• 2 weeks later...

Result: Accepted (off Waitlist)

Timestamp: May 22nd, 2018 2:07 PM (EDT)

GPA: 3.68 cumulative, 2.74 last 2 years (3.92 in final year)

MCAT: 514 (130 CARS)

ECs: 2 publications, plus 2 in progress. presented at a couple conferences (1 international). 5 years research in a variety of fields and involved in a neuroscience outreach program (eventually as executive) throughout entire undergrad. deffinitely a bunch of diversity on here (my advice: take any and all opportunites that present themselves! even if they mat not be long term) with also some long term stuff

Interview: Was actually pulled of a waitlist for an interview (I thought I was rejected until they called). Felt great about the panel. MMI is always hard to judge because I feel so weird about the timing of it (when to talk/stop talking) but I think it went decently? 

Year: Graduated UG 2017, working now (2 jobs: 1 in restaurant - high volume upscale restaurant which they seemed to really like in the panel, 1 in a healthcare start-up)

Last year I was immediately offered an interview (rejected from everywhere else) at McMaster but than spent the summer on the waitlist (unsuccessfully), and this year Queens was my only interview so perseverance does sometimes pay off! I am definitely more of an atypical case so just wanted to post to give people some hope, it is possible with a bit of (read: a ton of) luck!!

On 5/8/2018 at 6:35 AM, Persephone said:

Result: Waitlisted EDIT: Accepted off the waitlist May 22nd, 2:07PM EST !!!! If I get other waitlist offers I may turn down this one. Either way, so so so grateful and excited!

Timestamp: 8.46 AM

GPA: 3.84 overall wGPA ~3.9

MCAT: 513

ECs: slightly above avg according to U of A as an OOP

Interviews: MMI felt great, panel felt weird.

Year: Graduated 2011

I've also been waitlisted at Mac. Finger's crossed for future offers!

I've declined my waitlist offer for a waitlist offer from McMaster. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to post for future applicants - to inspire and give hope!

Result: Accepted (off Waitlist)

Timestamp: June 7, 2018 

GPA: 3.87 (Last 2 years)

MCAT: 514 (126 CARS)

ECs: Diverse, things I enjoyed, a lot of employment, a decent amount of research but no publications at time of application

Interview: Pulled off waitlist for interviews... the week before the first weekend of interviews. So flustered. Felt really good coming out of panel, MMI was not so great. Continued to feel exponentially worse as I had flashbacks of my interview until June.

Year: Graduated UG 2017, a part-time retail job and a part-time research assistant

I honestly didn't think I could do it. My chances were low (statistically). But trust your intuition and truly be your (best) self at the interview. Show that you are passionate and have your own story for pursuing medicine. Take the time to reflect on that whenever you can. Sometimes I would have random bursts of "Why am I even doing this?" and I would journal all these different thoughts which helped me prepare for interviews. Also my stats weren't great, my GPA and MCAT aren't amazing, but aren't bad... still a testament that you don't have to be a perfect student to get in. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, I feel incredibly lucky to be in this position and I want to pay it forward.

• 11 months later...