Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Sorry that this is my first post and I'm asking for opinions before lending a hand. I've perused here quite a bit and finally decided to make an account.

I really recently decided to pursue an MD and am constantly plagued with the stress of "do I even stand a chance?"

Undergrad

BSc Honors Immunology and Infection from the U of A

Yr 1 (done at GMac Uni) 3.33

Yr 2 3.50

Yr 3 3.73

Yr 4 3.90

Graduate

MSc Experimental Medicine (HIV-1 Research) from McGill

GPA: 3.90

My ECs are my weak point. To cut it short, I was determined to graduate debt-free so worked during my undergrad to make it happen. I went on to a graduate degree because I really thought that was the path for me. To celebrate my graduation from McGill I volunteered for 2 months in an HIV clinic in Kenya (which had been a dream of mine). It really sparked my desire for having a more active role in the health care industry. Since doing that I have buckled down and studied for the MCAT around my work schedule. I currently do not work in a field I studied for (I moved back to my hometown to help care for my nieces and nephews since my sister has passed and there are no research labs here). But between studying and work I have started volunteering in a clinic and am working on a planning committee for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. Once my MCAT is over with I'll have more time to volunteer directly in the hospital and am hoping to shadow the pathologist.

What I am concerned about is "too little too late". I know a lot will depend on my MCAT score being 33+ and I had a few smaller volunteer experiences like being a camp counselor and volunteering as a classroom helper in my niece's and nephew's schools. I had given up all organized sports when starting my undergrad but I have traveled a lot and have artistic hobbies.

It's also troubling that I will have to rewrite the new MCAT if I don't get accepted this rotation.

Do I have a shot?

Also, I didn't take any Physics in my undergrad so I cannot apply to the two schools I've attended, U of A and McGill.

Sorry that this is my first post and I'm asking for opinions before lending a hand. I've perused here quite a bit and finally decided to make an account.

I really recently decided to pursue an MD and am constantly plagued with the stress of "do I even stand a chance?"

Undergrad

BSc Honors Immunology and Infection from the U of A

Yr 1 (done at GMac Uni) 3.33

Yr 2 3.50

Yr 3 3.73

Yr 4 3.90

Graduate

MSc Experimental Medicine (HIV-1 Research) from McGill

GPA: 3.90

My ECs are my weak point. To cut it short, I was determined to graduate debt-free so worked during my undergrad to make it happen. I went on to a graduate degree because I really thought that was the path for me. To celebrate my graduation from McGill I volunteered for 2 months in an HIV clinic in Kenya (which had been a dream of mine). It really sparked my desire for having a more active role in the health care industry. Since doing that I have buckled down and studied for the MCAT around my work schedule. I currently do not work in a field I studied for (I moved back to my hometown to help care for my nieces and nephews since my sister has passed and there are no research labs here). But between studying and work I have started volunteering in a clinic and am working on a planning committee for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. Once my MCAT is over with I'll have more time to volunteer directly in the hospital and am hoping to shadow the pathologist.

What I am concerned about is "too little too late". I know a lot will depend on my MCAT score being 33+ and I had a few smaller volunteer experiences like being a camp counselor and volunteering as a classroom helper in my niece's and nephew's schools. I had given up all organized sports when starting my undergrad but I have traveled a lot and have artistic hobbies.

It's also troubling that I will have to rewrite the new MCAT if I don't get accepted this rotation.

Do I have a shot?

Also, I didn't take any Physics in my undergrad so I cannot apply to the two schools I've attended, U of A and McGill.

I don't know why people always think that work experience doesn't count when it comes to EC's. Just because you were paid to do it, doesn't mean you learned any less from it, or acquired fewer life skills from it than you would from un-paid volunteer work!

In terms of 'things other than education' to put on your application, you have experience in spades. I wouldn't worry about that right now. The most important thing is to ace your MCAT, so focus on that and you should be fine!

ETA: Are you considered IP anywhere? If you are IP for Alberta, I would think you have a chance at UofC (and at UofA if you are willing to take physics! There are most likely courses you can take online. All you need to do is prove you are taking the courses, and finish them before you start. There is probably a specific date, but I know for sure that pre-reqs don't have to be done before you apply!).

I don't know why people always think that work experience doesn't count when it comes to EC's. Just because you were paid to do it, doesn't mean you learned any less from it, or acquired fewer life skills from it than you would from un-paid volunteer work!

In terms of 'things other than education' to put on your application, you have experience in spades. I wouldn't worry about that right now. The most important thing is to ace your MCAT, so focus on that and you should be fine!

ETA: Are you considered IP anywhere? If you are IP for Alberta, I would think you have a chance at UofC (and at UofA if you are willing to take physics! There are most likely courses you can take online. All you need to do is prove you are taking the courses, and finish them before you start. There is probably a specific date, but I know for sure that pre-reqs don't have to be done before you apply!).

I think it feels like it isn't very important because it isn't quite altruistic.

I am actually considered a Quebec resident in addition to being an Alberta resident (because of my birth and living here for a year before I apply). The biggest issue I'm facing with the Physics is the fact that I didn't take any Physics in high school either. I had AP Chem and AP Bio so left it at that. So it would require me to get high school level Physics as well as a full year of Uni-level Physics that includes a lab portion. I had assumed it needed to be completed before application though, so maybe I could still squeak it in. Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I had just received my marks at the end of third year. Not really optimistic...

I was wondering if I should apply this cycle or not.

Here is the break down

Year 1: 3.69

Year 2: 3.84

Year 3: 3.67

cGPA: 3.73

Toronto Weighted Formula: cGPA = 3.85

Western 5.0 Credit per year for the best 2 years: cGPA = 3.86

For Western I only took the highest marks out of my overloaded schedule, I have more than 5.0 credits per year.

I have yet to write the MCAT. Currently studying for my test in July.

ECs / Activities:

2 summers at local hospital

3 summers at a rehab center

5 years commitment of air cadets experience (Got a Pilot License during the 5 years)

Fencing Club (sport) at the University

Currently got an research assistant position at the rehab center

Teaching Assistant for a Microbiology Laboratory course

If I am going to apply, I will go for Toronto, Western, McMasters, and Queens.

Id Figure that I am out of the league in applying for Ottawa.

Other information:

Taken Full Course Load every term and 3/5 courses are at the same or greater level than the year I am attending at the university.

What are your views on my situation? Should I start considering second options now or wait until fourth year course marks come around to make the decision in switching into another career?

Thanks for your opinions!

Hey guys, if you could provide some insight, it'd be appreciated. Mature student doing a second degree. First degree was terrible, this degree has two years complete now.

1st year GPA: 3.89

2nd year GPA: 3.96-4.0

MCAT: 9/11/9, rewriting this summer.

Ottawa wGPA: 3.94-3.96

Queens wGPA: 3.93

Western: One year meets requirements, MCAT is to be determined.

Calgary: 4.0

ECS: Disadvantaged youth tutoring 5 years, Office work for 6 years (2 years managerial), starting research this summer, LSAT tutor for 3 years, University tutor for 2 years, Center for Victims of Torture volunteer (1.5 years), University Basketball (2 years), shadowed physician (2 years), Office assistant (1 year), Volunteered at local religious organization (4 years). A few other things, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

What I gather so far is that the MCAT will determine a lot, but specifically, if you could comment on Calgary and Ottawa as well as the ECs, it'd be appreciated. Thanks again.

Hey guys, if you could provide some insight, it'd be appreciated. Mature student doing a second degree. First degree was terrible, this degree has two years complete now.

1st year GPA: 3.89

2nd year GPA: 3.96-4.0

MCAT: 9/11/9, rewriting this summer.

Ottawa wGPA: 3.94-3.96

Queens wGPA: 3.93

Western: One year meets requirements, MCAT is to be determined.

Calgary: 4.0

ECS: Disadvantaged youth tutoring 5 years, Office work for 6 years (2 years managerial), starting research this summer, LSAT tutor for 3 years, University tutor for 2 years, Center for Victims of Torture volunteer (1.5 years), University Basketball (2 years), shadowed physician (2 years), Office assistant (1 year), Volunteered at local religious organization (4 years). A few other things, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

What I gather so far is that the MCAT will determine a lot, but specifically, if you could comment on Calgary and Ottawa as well as the ECs, it'd be appreciated. Thanks again.

What is the third year you are using for your Ottawa GPA calculation?

Not using a third year. The 3.94-3.96 is based on the two relevant years listed.

Were any of your years in your first degree full time? (10 half year courses)

I think U of Ottawa just looks at your three most recent years, so they would probably take your last full time year into consideration.

If not, I'm pretty sure you're above the cut off and I think you have good ECs.

Were any of your years in your first degree full time? (10 half year courses)

I think U of Ottawa just looks at your three most recent years, so they would probably take your last full time year into consideration.

If not, I'm pretty sure you're above the cut off and I think you have good ECs.

No, that's why I didn't list them. They will be completely irrelevant with respect to the upcoming cycle. Thanks for the input though.

Hello Everyone,

Here is the break down

For Western I only took the highest marks out of my overloaded schedule, I have more than 5.0 credits per year.

ECs / Activities:

5 years commitment of air cadets experience (Got a Pilot License during the 5 years)

Other information:

Taken Full Course Load every term and 3/5 courses are at the same or greater level than the year I am attending at the university.

What are your views on my situation? Should I start considering second options now or wait until fourth year course marks come around to make the decision in switching into another career?

Your chances at Western, Mac, and Queen's will depend highly on your MCAT score. Queen's would be a bit of a coin toss even if you met the MCAT requirements (it's unpredictable for everyone, and you have some interesting ECs which helps, but they're not overly strong either by that description). U of T would be a bit of a long-shot. Your wGPA is low by their standards and again, your ECs might not be strong enough for an interview.

Write your MCAT and see where you stand. Having a shot at Western, Mac, and Queen's is still a pretty good position to be in (speaking from personal experience :P ). Keep developing your ECs in ways that interest you and demonstrate an ability to handle responsibility (Queen's likes paid work, for example). As part of developing those ECs, do consider a back-up plan. That's not a commentary on your chances - everyone should be prepared for the possibility of not being admitted to med school. It's competitive and many people have to apply to multiple cycles before admission, so having other options for a career is just good planning. However, that does not mean making a switch in intended careers, just laying the groundwork for other opportunities - at this point, with consideration for the importance of your MCAT scores, you're still very much in the game.

Hello Everyone,

Here is the break down

ECs / Activities:

Other information:

Western will only take your GPA in your best two years that surpass that year's cutoff (generally around 3.7). If the cGPA your posting is that, then you're in good shape for Western. You also stand a pretty decent shot at Mac and Queens, but I think UofT is bit more of a long-shot. But, honestly you should just apply everywhere. It will only cost you a bit extra and you widen your chances.

Again this all depends on your MCAT score, so be sure to get above 11 for bio and verbal and you'll be set!

GPA

1st - 3.84

2nd - 3.87

3rd - 3.97

4th - 3.94

MCAT: 33

ECs:

- Internship Abroad: (spent 1 month in a hospital in India shadowing/assisting surgery)

- English Tutor (1.5 year)

- Hospital CT Scan volunteer (1.5 year)

- Volunteered with a research study (1 year)

- Volunteered at a medical clinic & assisted with patient filing/clerical work (4 months)

- Basketball Coached home-schooled children (3 years)

- Basketball Coached Local Rec League (4 years)

- Physiotherapy Assistant (volunteer, 1 year)

- Tutored children in math, english, and science (1 year)

- Notetaker for disabled students (1 semester)

Jobs:

- Stylist at Express Men (1 year)

- Worked as Medical assistant over 1 summer (4 months)

- College Pro Painting Painter 1 summer (4 months)

- Basketball Referee (3 years of highschool)

Awards:

- Jason Lang Scholarship X 3 years

- Deans List X 4 Years

- First Class Standing X 4 Years

- Certified Lifeguard

NOTE: I am considered in-province for both UAlberta and UCal Med.

What would my chances be at UCalgary & UAlberta? (This 2014 cycle)

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

GPA

1st - 3.84

2nd - 3.87

3rd - 3.97

4th - 3.94

MCAT: 33

ECs:

- Internship Abroad: (spent 1 month in a hospital in India shadowing/assisting surgery)

- English Tutor (1.5 year)

- Hospital CT Scan volunteer (1.5 year)

- Volunteered with a research study (1 year)

- Volunteered at a medical clinic & assisted with patient filing/clerical work (4 months)

- Basketball Coached home-schooled children (3 years)

- Basketball Coached Local Rec League (4 years)

- Physiotherapy Assistant (volunteer, 1 year)

- Tutored children in math, english, and science (1 year)

- Notetaker for disabled students (1 semester)

Jobs:

- Stylist at Express Men (1 year)

- Worked as Medical assistant over 1 summer (4 months)

- College Pro Painting Painter 1 summer (4 months)

- Basketball Referee (3 years of highschool)

Awards:

- Jason Lang Scholarship X 3 years

- Deans List X 4 Years

- First Class Standing X 4 Years

- Certified Lifeguard

NOTE: I am considered in-province for both UAlberta and UCal Med.

What would my chances be at UCalgary & UAlberta? (This 2014 cycle)

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

1. Awesome GPA and good MCAT for Alberta IP (hope to have your stats by next year!) :)

2. Don't mention you assisted in surgeries in India cause I'm sure there is some big ethical issues with volunteering abroad

3. Pretty balanced ECs :)

4. Can we mention "First Class Standing"? I know it says it on our transcript but I thought that it's there own way of categorizing our GPA each year.

1. Awesome GPA and good MCAT for Alberta IP (hope to have your stats by next year!) :)

2. Don't mention you assisted in surgeries in India cause I'm sure there is some big ethical issues with volunteering abroad

3. Pretty balanced ECs :)

4. Can we mention "First Class Standing"? I know it says it on our transcript but I thought that it's there own way of categorizing our GPA each year.

Thanks for the reply and the note about abroad volunteering. I am not entirely sure if we can mention first class standing to be completely honest (haven't applied before). I am going in to talk to MDadmissions to get some things clarified for application and will let you know.

OMSAS GPA:

Western- 3.925

Ottawa- 3.91

Toronto- 3.90

McMaster- 3.77

Queens- 3.925

MCAT: Will be rewriting this summer since I bombed it the first time

EC’s: NSERC USRA, lots of committed research experience, 1 publication, nursing home volunteer, tutoring, two different sales associate jobs, will be starting my Masters this September. Overall my EC’s are pretty lacking and nothing really medical related.

If MCAT goes well do I look ok for this cycle or do my EC's hinder my chances?

I just finished first year and I want to get a sense of what more I can do.

OMSAS GPA: 4.0

MCAT: planning to write 2015 next summer

ECs

Research assistant during the year

NSERC USRA (this summer, hopefully can get a pub)

Weekly volunteer commitment I intend to continue next year

Couple different scholarships and awards

Involved organizing a conference

I also have two different exec positions lined up for next year

I feel like i'm currently competitive, but want to know what things can I do the ensure I stay that way and get interviews at as many schools as possible.

I just finished first year and I want to get a sense of what more I can do.

OMSAS GPA: 4.0

MCAT: planning to write 2015 next summer

ECs

Research assistant during the year

NSERC USRA (this summer, hopefully can get a pub)

Weekly volunteer commitment I intend to continue next year

Couple different scholarships and awards

Involved organizing a conference

I also have two different exec positions lined up for next year

I feel like i'm currently competitive, but want to know what things can I do the ensure I stay that way and get interviews at as many schools as possible.

On paper you look golden. You have way more stuff than I had in first year. Be able to take something away from your activities and make sure you do something you're passionate about and can talk about. In terms of the future, just keep doing what you're doing! It seems to be working. Congrats on the great first year gpa!

OMSAS GPA:

Western- 3.925

Ottawa- 3.91

Toronto- 3.90

McMaster- 3.77

Queens- 3.925

MCAT: Will be rewriting this summer since I bombed it the first time

EC’s: NSERC USRA, lots of committed research experience, 1 publication, nursing home volunteer, tutoring, two different sales associate jobs, will be starting my Masters this September. Overall my EC’s are pretty lacking and nothing really medical related.

If MCAT goes well do I look ok for this cycle or do my EC's hinder my chances?

Great stats. Your gpa is in the 'competitive' range. You don't really need to have med related ecs, just doing things you enjoy, and be able to speak to how they demonstrate the canmeds competencies. Have you ever looked into mentoring or coaching? That is if you it's something you're interested in. I've taken the most away from those experiences, and have learnt a lot about my self from them. The next step will depend on you mcat.

Hi,

I have just finished third year at Western, and am getting an hons specialization in psychology, BSc. I have not yet written the mcat (doing that now). I am from Ontario and planning to apply this year. (For fall of 2015)

First yr- 3.36

Second yr- 3.87

Third yr- 3.91

CGPA: 3.67

(All the various forms of weighted gpa's end up over 3.8, except U of T where I am not eligible for the formula)

Unfortunately, in 1st yr a counsellor gave me bad advice to drop a course so I only had 4.5 courses for that year, but my other years have been a full course load.

I have some pretty diverse interests, not sure how they would look on an application: I volunteered as a field research assistant in South Africa for a summer, gathering data about a reserve (I enjoy nature/ conservation work), I was also a paid rep of the organization to Western after I volunteered. I was an RA for a semester in a social psychology lab (no publications), volunteered as a first responder on an ambulance over last summer, had various jobs at a summer camp (cabin counsellor, sports specialist, infirmary assistant), did babysitting at a religious setting once a week throughout high school (part paid/ part volunteer), leader of an English conversation group for international students at western, volunteered doing crafts at a school with children from low income families with Crafting for a Cure, played on various intramural teams, played high school basketball, president of environment club in high school, entrance scholar ship, and will do an honours thesis.

Obviously, a lot depends on mcat, but planning to apply within Ontario and at except U of T, and at Dal. Wondering if anybody has any advice for me, anything to improve on? Also, this is my first time posting:)

I would appreciate any input here. I just finished my 4th year of undergrad and I am IP in Ontario but don't have any regional advantages (non-SWOMEN, not from ottawa or northern Ontario).

cGPA: 3.83

UofT wGPA: 3.93

Ottawa GPA: 3.86

Last two years: 3.87

Best two years: 3.88

MCAT: 9, 10, 13 (PS/VR/BS)

What are my chances given those numbers and assuming I have very strong ECs.

Hey guys, thought I would finally post my stats. I just finished 2nd year and will be applying this cycle to some medschools. So far I'm just applying to UBC and McMaster since those are the only ones I feel like I have a chance at but if you guys have any suggestions, I am more than willing to hear them. Anyway, here are my stats:

I am considered in province for both UBC and McMaster (was not planned, purely accidental lol)

Academics

UBC Average to date: 87.3%

OMSAS: (for mcmaster)

1st year gpa: 3.73

2nd year gpa: 3.92

cgpa: 3.82

Extracurriculars

(all in university unless otherwise stated)

----------------

Well, what do you guys think? Do you think I have an ok chance as a 3rd year applicant? The main problems I see are no long term activities and nothing that really stands out, everything seems like a staple of what a premed would be doing

Also my gpa is not above average ... :^(

Also, are there any other schools you would recommend me to apply to? (plz don't say caribbean lol)

Hey guys, thought I would finally post my stats. I just finished 2nd year and will be applying this cycle to some medschools. So far I'm just applying to UBC and McMaster since those are the only ones I feel like I have a chance at but if you guys have any suggestions, I am more than willing to hear them. Anyway, here are my stats:

I am considered in province for both UBC and McMaster (was not planned, purely accidental lol)

Academics

UBC Average to date: 87.0%

OMSAS: (for mcmaster)

1st year gpa: 3.73

2nd year gpa: 3.92

cgpa: 3.82

Extracurriculars

(all in university unless otherwise stated)

Volunteering

- Hospital volunteering (patient visiting program in the medicine ward): 2 years (ongoing)

- Hospital volunteering in a different hospital (patient visiting program in pediatrics): 1 year

- Med internship abroad (urban hospital): shadowed doctors and saw some cool surgeries (I even got to perform some wound dressings): 1 month

- Volunteering abroad (rural health center): went to people's homes and distributed chlorine water purification tablets, taught basic sanitation and health advice along with doctors to villagers: 2 weeks

- Let's Talk Science (SMaRT program), visited an elementary school as a group and taught basic science (using experiments) to grade 5 students: 4 months

- volunteered in a hospital's auxiliary thrift store: 2 months (this was before starting university)

Employment

- by my university to teach 1st year physics as a tutor

Research

- currently working (just started) on a clinical research project (self developed with my supervisor's help) at the hospital, expecting at least 1 pub

Awards

- UBC faculty of med SSRP funding

- dean's honours list

- chancellor's scholar awards

(pretty scarce tbh)

Hobbies

- badminton at a rec center, 4 hours a week (but not in a team or anything)

- trivia, did Reach for the top in high school (team was 3rd in Ontario and 1st in regionals)

MCAT

Writing this summer

Well, what do you guys think? Do you think I have an ok chance as a 3rd year applicant? The main problems I see are no long term activities and nothing that really stands out, everything seems like a staple of what a premed would be doing

Also my gpa is not above average ... :^(

Also, are there any other schools you would recommend me to apply to? (plz don't say caribbean lol)

Seems to me you are on a very good track for these two schools! If you get a high VR score, Mac will be very reachable.... Also, if you are IP for BC, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get an interview!

ashu8d: looking good. Yes, lacking on the long-term, but overall I think you have a pretty solid shot. I'd probably throw an app off to Queen's while you're at it. If you don't mind spending the bit extra applying to Ottawa and UofT wouldn't hurt, although your GPA might be a tad low for those schools.